I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I still don't own a PlayStation 3. I'm one of those guys who picks up every console in every generation--then when something exclusive releases, I don't have to give a crap. The PS3, though, has remained a bit out of my price range and didn't have anything I was dying to play for quite awhile. That's changing now (well, not the price part, but the games I want to play half) with MGS4, Disgaea 3, and now, Burn, Zombie Burn!
Looking at the screenshots for this title, the first thing that pops into my head is "damn, this looks like a next-gen version of Zombies Ate My Neighbors"--which was a great 16-bit era game that appeared on the SNES and Genesis.
Developers Doublesix (who have given us the Nintendo DS version and Wii versions of Geometry Wars: Galaxies and the PS3 title Nucleus. Players will take control of Bruce (yes, inspired by none other than Bruce Campbell), a guy visiting his girlfriend when a horde of zombies attacks. Bruce must then dispatch the undead in numerous ways while surviving six different levels, all reportedly inspired by classic horror films.
Burn, Zombie Burn! will be published by Pinnacle Software and released exclusively on the PlayStation Network in the first quarter of 2009. You can check out more the official website (although there's nothing much there yet).
Here's a list of features:
- Six American horror movie inspired playable levels - The Woods, Graveyard, Suburbia, Drive-In, Military Base and Secret Lab
- Three single-player modes - Freeplay, Timed and Defence
- Two player Co-op and Versus modes (Freeplay and Timed only)
- Ten bloody and gag-filled custom Challenges across all levels including ‘My Exploding Zombie Head!' (kick it around the map and shoot to detonate), ‘Zombies Ate My Teddy!' (zombies are after your teddy. Stop them!) and ‘Lawn of the Dead!' (a lawnmower and a lot of zombies. You work it out!)
- Eight zombie types to slaughter, each with their own behaviourial patterns, strengths and weaknesses - Normal, Exploder, Crazy, Dancers, Rushers, Riot, Noxious and Super Zombie!
- Fantastic range of primary weapons to dish out some zombie hurt with including baseball bat, chainsaw, lawnmower and the Brain Gun!
- Dish out additional zombie pain with pickup enhanced Timed, Proximity and Remote Explosives for that nice, at a safe distance zombie evisceration!
- Set fire to zombies to net a big score multiplier. The more zombies on fire, the bigger your multiplier and the quicker your score rises
- Level Event on every level activated by keeping on killing with the same weapon to build up a combo ticker. Max out three and the Event is activated, a different one for each level, including a UFO, a God Ray and Laser Beams, all of which will help you out
- Three in-game characters; Bruce - a cross between Bruce Campbell and Elvis, Bruno - Bruce's quieter brother, and Daisy - Bruce's girl