About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 12-24-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
Dale Weir
Site God

Nintendo to Drop D-Pad and A/B Buttons?

Assuming this is true, that sound you are hearing is hundreds of third-party developers throwing their hands up in the air and running into Sony and Microsoft's arms. Too early to say that? Well, show me a developer that has openly confirmed it is working on software for Nintendo's mysterious GameCube follow-up. You don't have to look very hard to find developers working on Xbox 2 and PS3 projects. Nintendo's next-gen system isn't getting the buzz that the other systems are getting (outside of Nintendo fansites) and dropping staples like the D-pad or A/B buttons isn't going to sit well with developers and possibly gamers.

Again, it is still a rumor at this point, but given Nintendo's previous talk about changing the way we interact with our games--and the fact that the D-pad was going to be dropped for the GameCube until the last minute--this rumor could be turn out to be true.

Two links:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...(que)id=113508

http://cube.ign.com/articles/575/575714p1.html

Dale
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Re: Nintendo to Drop D-Pad and A/B Buttons?

I really don't think this is anything. The GC pad wasn't even originally intended to have a D-pad. They threw that in at the last minute. And I always interpreted the A/B buttons thing as like, they were gonna use a different name or something.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
ferrarimanf355
Reborn Simpsons Fan

Rep Power: 14 ferrarimanf355 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via MSN to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via Yahoo to ferrarimanf355

You're kidding, right? Nintendo has just lost it. Perhaps they should just dump this Revolution crap and just focus on the GBA and DS, since that's where all the revnue's at for the big N.

Nicato, your thoughts? I'm certain you have a few.
ferrarimanf355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
LordFarid
Lord of the Videogames

Good idea actually, the D pad needs to go. Its a historical relic. Its a system from your grandfathers time.
LordFarid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 08:48 PM   #5
ferrarimanf355
Reborn Simpsons Fan

Send a message via AIM to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via MSN to ferrarimanf355 Send a message via Yahoo to ferrarimanf355

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFarid
Good idea actually, the D pad needs to go. Its a historical relic. Its a system from your grandfathers time.
Losing the D-pad, I can understand, although fighting games work better with one. But losing THE BUTTONS?!?!?!?!? How do you work controls out on THAT?!?!?!?!?
Old 12-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #6
Qikdraw

Well what about this then?

(click the pic for a link)

When I saw this at Best Buy I almost impulse bought it. I loved my NES controller.

Qikdraw

My Blog
Qikdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:02 PM   #7
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

I've heard several people whine about this. but I think it could be something great. Buttons are confusing for a lot of non gamers, and this might be nintendo's chance to tap into a big market. They just needa learn how to demo this new way of playing games properly, that way people who wouldnt step foot in EBGames could still play it and see how fun and accessible it is.

Nintendo after all did invent the DPad, so it should be alright to let them be the ones to destroy it. (assuming they havent already by applying analog to consoles.. man they've rocked this industry control wise.)
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 11:00 PM   #8
Polo88
The Latest OT7

Send a message via MSN to Polo88

The D-Pad has become rather outdated.. As long as they're replacing it with something useful then I have no problem with their decision.

Qikdraw - That thing is for PS2 right? SO how do you get by without the shoulder buttons?
Old 12-25-2004, 01:07 AM   #9
Qikdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo88
Qikdraw - That thing is for PS2 right? SO how do you get by without the shoulder buttons?
Yeah its for the PS2. It does have buttons at the top of the controller. I can't remember if its 2 or 4 buttons though. Future Shop may have it for you to get a better look at it.

Qikdraw

My Blog
Qikdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:21 AM   #10
Dubkiller
Pro-Replicant

There were rumours of a sensory controller (I think that's what they were calling it) for the Gamecube before it launched. Some were thinking it would have a microphone or a tilt-motion sensor or something like that. Maybe that, combined with a touch screen and an analogue stick, would cover what you'd need in lieu of a d-pad and buttons. It could still have analogue triggers as well.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:56 AM   #11
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

If it's true, then yes, that's Nintendo throwing yet another shovel of dirt from out of its grave. God, how can a company be so stupid? Seriously? Don't they want people to make games for their system?
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 04:50 AM   #12
Dale Weir
Site God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyAcolyte
I've heard several people whine about this. but I think it could be something great. Buttons are confusing for a lot of non gamers, and this might be nintendo's chance to tap into a big market.
Agreed. If Nintendo does this right, it could open the doors for a lot of new or traditionally non-gamers to get into the hobby.

Of course, one of the biggest challenges will be in convincing third-parties. Let's see how Nintendo convinces Namco to make Soul Calibur 3 for the Xbox 2 and PS3 which will no doubt support the D-pad and traditional A/B buttons as well as a version supporting "The Revolution's" unconventional interface.

The second big challenge will be convincing gamers. Without much third-party support (right now), Nintendo's current position in the marketplace and an unwillingness (I think) of developers to embrace Nintendo's unconventional console, I don't see there being many games to make this the system of choice.

All of that said, I'd say this is good news. I have always loved Nintendo's controllers and there is a lot riding on this one. It would be hard to imagine Nintendo screwing this up. One thing is for sure. Third-party peripheral manufacturers are licking their chops reading this news. They are going to make a killing.

Dale
Old 12-25-2004, 05:03 AM   #13
Dale Weir
Site God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlack
Seriously? Don't they want people to make games for their system?
Probably not. Nintendo has long made it clear since the NES days that it content to be the sole provider of software for its hardware. I'll believe differently when I see some evidence to the contrary.

Nintendo has been doing a lot of talking, particularly that Reggie guy, about not accepting 2nd place in the next-generation and learning the lessons of the GameCube, but talk is cheap.

I know this news is controversial, that's why I posted it. But its still early. A few official hardware and software announcements and demos of the hardware could have you (and developers) turned around on the idea.

Dale
Old 12-25-2004, 09:07 AM   #14
ferrarimanf355
Reborn Simpsons Fan

Honestly, I still think that what Nintendo's trying to do here is, well, retarded. I hope that they do indeed keep the A/B buttons, at least.

In the meantime, while Nintendo is digging their grave with dumb ideas like this, here's what Sega's going to release for the PS2:

Simplicity in action, I tell ya.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:22 AM   #15
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

What kills me is that Nintendo always talk a good talk. From a business standpoint, what Nintendo preaches is gold. They are trying to differenciate itself in the marketplace and being the "first" to market with unique concepts. But somewhere along the way, this hasn't translated to overwhelming success. Call it the power the PlayStation or perhaps never truly delivering on that promise of innovation. The DS may reverse that trend, but as far as this rumoured controller goes, I have no idea. I would have bet on Nintendo in that last several forays, but they haven't come in first yet.

Chi
Chi Kong Lui is offline   Reply With Quote