About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 02-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #1321
Aaron
Biding time on the SOL

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Yeah, again Ace Attorney spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun
Yeah, and it does not work very well simply because it's too obvious. Just make them different, no need to make them obvious opposite, especially if the outcomes are not quite.
Maybe, but it is worth noting that this isn't anything new to this game. The series seems to like (for good or for bad) to purposely mirror or invert their own past conventions or characters in order to build some point or theme. Game 2 is probably the most blatant about (and IMO worst at) it, where cases 2 and 3 in particular mirror the 1st game's cases 2 and 3 in a number of superficial ways (Maya on trial...again, crazy showbiz conspiracy where you defend some idol of Maya's...again). The major difference though is that the villains are more sympathetic and the cases increasingly more twisted than anything from game 1 - which works thematically well with game 2's final case and ultimately comments on some of the simplicity of the first game.

Also, for whatever its worth, I do think most of the characters in "Apollo Justice" are defined beyond their opposite equivalents and their characterizations, relationships, and back stories are built on their own terms. Those similarities are largely superficial I think. My point was really more of an observation of how tightly written and dedicated the games are in exploring and sometimes challenging their own themes, messages, and conventions - as well as noting how aware the games are of many of their own formulas when spinning them, regardless of execution and ignoring the fancruft that surrounds this series.

Last edited by Aaron; 02-27-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #1322
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished Culdcept Sagaís story mode last night. I have to say, although I really enjoy the game in general, the story mode was way too long this time around and it started to border on drudgery by the time I was done. Still, it's a great game and I'm looking forward to doing a lot more multi with you guys.

More specific details (for those who want them) on my blog, link is in my sig below.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #1323
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Nice to read some Culdcept blogging, Brad.

One point of interest: even if your opponents get disconnected (and the AI takes over), you can still earn certain achievements and even avatar parts; I picked up the 3 online wins in a row achievement last night after a DC. However, some achievements require all players to remain until the end (such as the "play a match with 3 people" achievement).
Old 03-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #1324
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished No More Heroes on Wii.

Definitely going to write something on it... the thoughts are currently percolating.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #1325
Snack Eater
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 11 Snack Eater is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Snack Eater

Yeah, so I finished NMH. Good times, mostly. I actually like Killer 7 better because there the story really crawls inside the head and the last hour or so is absolutely fuggin brilliant on a narratological level, though I still can't quite fathom what the hell happened. Here Suda doesn't really aspire to anything more than self-conscious absurdity, so it doesn't really stick, at least not as definitively. I feel a lot more comfortable spending 12 hours on a nebulous mindfuck like Killer 7 that'll leave me with something to chew on than just a dada lark like this.
-reading Infinite Jest (****)
Snack Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #1326
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 18 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Last week I hit 101% completion in Burnout Paradise. I guess I'm about done with that.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #1327
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished Professor Layton and the Curious Village on DS. the art was great, the music was excellent and overall the presentation was utterly charming. there was a pretty hefty disconnect between the characters/story and the puzzles, though. still, it was hard not to like.

it made me feel like a COMPLETE retard, though. i aced most of the 3D and logic puzzles, but the math and other types had me flummoxed most of the time. i don't think i've ever used an FAQ as often as i did for this game.

a thumbs up for sure, but i'd like to see better integration of story and puzzles, and to have some choices and action that weren't necessarily puzzle-related. (dialogue, actions of characters, etc...)

not gonna review it, BUT IF I DID... i'd say a 7.5. Maybe an 8 if i was feeling generous.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #1328
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

excuse the followup to my own post, but i just finished Metroid Prime 3.

I'll hash out a review for this one... but for now, it started good and ended formulaically.

Meh.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 AM   #1329
Kin Korn Karn

I love it. The first post of the thread was me and the original Metroid Prime. How far we have come
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #1330
Kin Korn Karn

Excuse the double post.

Not sure when last I posted on topic, but just in case:

Oblivion is complete. What a fantastic game. The main quest was a bit tepid, but everything else was swell. I enjoyed getting to the top of each guild, etc. And Shivering Isles was creepy, but by that point I was ready to just get the quest done. This is the first 360 game that I maxxed out the achievements. It's got me pretty jazzed about the upcoming Fallout release. Oblivion will be tough to top.

Does Portal count? Strange and enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'll mess with anything else on the disc.

Lost Odyssey was fun, albeit not a huge challenge, especially into disc 3 and 4. It was too easy to over-level, especially if you were going for some of the achievements. Personally, I'm done at 980. The "Treasure Trove" achievement can kiss my ass.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:46 PM   #1331
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Endless Ocean on the Wii today.

Well, i "finished" the storyline a few days ago, but i found everything and did everything i wanted to by the end of today, so i'm calling it done now.

Good game... best of the "undersea exploration" games by far. i'll cook up a review, i think.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #1332
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

...Nobody's finished anything since I posted here last time? Come on people, put the multiplayer aside for a few days and let's start wrapping some of these lonely, neglected 1P games up.

As for me, I finally put Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney on DS to bed last night.

Out of all four "Ace Attorney" games, this one was by far the weakest. It didn't start getting interesting at all until Phoenix came back for a while in the fourth (and final) case, and that one was a confusing mess of quasi sci-fi.

I guess overall I found the characters dull and the cases to be getting absurd to the point where I couldn't really go along with them, even in terms of being videogames.

Capcom needs these games to go back to being simpler, and remember that not every case has to be a four-part epic. Sometimes, it's fun just to unravel some standard murder without having too many outlandish tricks or ridiculous leaps of logic. it's like they feel the need to keep pushing the envelope of logic with each game, and they really don't need to complicate it so much.

More tedious than anything, i'm hoping that the "Attorney" series doesn't end on this down-note.

= (
Old 04-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #1333
YouDigress
16-bit Poster

I recently finished the original Metal Gear Solid from the Metal Gear Essentials pack.

Despite the graphics, the game still held up after so many years. Even though the story wasn't the greatest thing ever written, it kept me interested until the end, and there were no glaring gameplay problems, aside from the control issues that were a result of the game being old. I treated it like a history lesson of sorts, so that was good.
YouDigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #1334
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 13 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I finished Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth for the PSP over the weekend. Absolutely phenomenal game! I was kinda bummed that the FAQ I was following in order to get the 'A' ending wasn't as complete as it needed to be (ended up getting the 'B' ending, which really wasn't much of an ending at all). But as much as I enjoyed the game, I don't imagine it'll be hard for me to pick it up and give it another shot sometime later on down the line!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:38 AM   #1335
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 13 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

Just finished Blue Dragon for the Xbox 360 - actually, I'm watching the credits roll while I'm typing this post - and was actually quite surprised at how good a time I had with it. Not the deepest or most 'grown up' roleplaying game I've ever played, but it had a lot of heart. And it was very solid! Production value was certainly very high. The whole game had a kind of cinematic quality. Funny thing about it, too. I'm really not much of a Toriyama fan. But rendered in 3D, his art finally clicked with me! I get it now! *grin* I have to say that the battle system got a little repetitive by the end... well, a lot repetitive, actually... and I think the shadow/skill system had a lot more merit than was actually put to use. But again, very solid throughout. And I'm definitely looking forward to putting in Lost Odyssey (which I picked up last week)... but before I do, I think I'll take a break!

I swear, there's something super rewarding about knocking out an epic like this. I kinda feel like I just saved the world or something!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote