About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #1306
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

yes, i absolutely agree... i wasn't *at all* a fan of any of the sequences that effectively "froze" Gordon while something "important" happened. the scene you describe was bad, as was the one at the beginning of Ep 2... that whole segment was weak, actually. pretty "gamey" of Valve, IMO.

BTW,final thoughts are here for those who care. ; )
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #1307
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

So, I'm still in my retro gaming fix. I played Wild Guns a ton and finished it yesterday.

Anyone who reads Gamespy's "Hardcore Gaming 101" and Game Set Watch's "Might Have Been" might've heard of this game as the best SNES game that never sold. I concur.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #1308
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 13 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

Just finished Assassin's Creed a few moments ago. I enjoyed it a lot, but unless the sequel offers up something new and exciting, I think I'm done with the series. Production was top notch. The graphics were pretty damn impressive. And the gameplay mechanics stayed fresh enough throughout a majority of the game. But the story was spotty. I wanted more development of what was going on outside the Animus - maybe even some missions that were played out entirely by the 'other' main character. Instead, it was basically wash rinse repeat - have fun playing as Altair (Spoiler Who was really cool, but come on... even I knew it was Al Mualim after like the third memory block! End Spoiler)! Oh well. I'll keep an eye out for the next entry, and if Ubisoft can wow me with some new weapons and moves - and a little more variation in storytelling - then you can probably count me in!

Next in my queue for the 360 is Blue Dragon, but I'm not ready to start that yet. I think I'll fire up the Wii next for some lighthearted Super Paper Mario action!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #1309
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Pokemon Ranger for DS... not one of my selections, my son picked it out when he was here last time, and i make it a policy to go through the games he plays so i know what he's doing.

totally annoying and irritating to the extreme... the game makes you draw circles around Pokemon that are hoping and spitting and doing whatever onscreen. drove me batty, and couldn't wait to put it down... it was hard in some spots, too. too hard for kids, IMO... what up with that?

blech.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #1310
calintz
sneaker freaker

finally finished RE4 Wii Edition...

so lucky I decided to pick this one up, after skipping it last gen...

haven't been addicted to an action game in so long - this game is as good as everyone said it was. Maybe I should really start listening to the critics...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #1311
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
finally finished RE4 Wii Edition...

so lucky I decided to pick this one up, after skipping it last gen...

haven't been addicted to an action game in so long - this game is as good as everyone said it was. Maybe I should really start listening to the critics...
*shudders* please dont say that hehe
videochilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #1312
machine
16-bit Poster

I recently finished Professor Layton and loved every minute of it. I'm surprised nobody here has been talking about this great game.
machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #1313
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

machine, I will, soon. I bought it and Apollo Justice a few days ago.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #1314
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

I bought Layton, but the wife appropriated it immediately... haven't got it back yet.

still working on Warhammer Squad Command (PSP) and Culdcept Saga (360)... haven't finished squat in a while.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #1315
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 13 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I just finished Super Paper Mario for the Wii. Great game, and just the right length (after spending nearly 50 hours with the GC iteration, I was relieved to wrap this one up at just under 20). Pacing was good. The save system was convenient enough - never too horribly long between stopping points. And the humor was spot on! If I had to nail the game for a flaw, it would be that I couldn't run by holding the 1 button. Yeah, I went there!

It was good to get back to the Wii for a bit, too. I'd been spending so much time with the 360 lately that I had almost forgotten how fun Nintendo's little white box could be! Maybe now I'll go out and pick up Zak and Wiki, keep the momentum going!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #1316
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
still working on Warhammer Squad Command (PSP) and Culdcept Saga (360)... haven't finished squat in a while.
What do you think of Warhammer Squad Command? I started playing it again yesterday. I really like it; I think it's the most underrated strategy game on the PSP. Really creative take on the turn-based/X-Com strategy archetype.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #1317
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

I liked Warhammer Squad Command a lot... just finished it last night.

it has a few issues like two levels with brutally extreme difficulty spikes (10 & 13, IIRC) and there's not quite enough customization, but the mechanics are silky-smooth and it plays like a dream.

it needs a few tweaks, but it's a total quality game. i'd love to see a sequel, since the groundwork they laid was so solid.

definite thumbs UP.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #1318
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

I wish I could say I liked the change of casts from the ace attorney series, but Apollo Justice let me down.

Oh, I enjoyed the game a lot, that goes without saying. Capcom exerted efforts for making this game different to the predecessors. You can now not only press or present evidence, but do something else (which I won't spoil), and I think that something else is awesome. The features from PW1's DS-Exclusive chapter makes a comeback here, only this time, they're more refined. And the entire game looks better too.

So how unfortunate that I find myself un-compelled by the game's namesake character. He doesn't compare to Phoenix Wright at all, and every time I see Phoenix Wright in this game I get a sense of pining. Same goes to Klavier, the game's prosecutor. Despite his rock persona, he's too laid-back during court proceedings, that I do not get the same sense of satisfaction from witnessing the taut rivalry of Phoenix and Edgeworth. The detective that replaces Dick Gumshoe is more than annoying (albeit cute). About the only well-written characters here are Kristoph, Trucy and Phoenix.

The cases are just too easy to solve, and sometimes it's like the game plays itself, and that's because Apollo's not that much smarter than those who surrounds him, so obvious hints get tossed around a lot. This is also the first time of the Ace Attorney series that I encountered a case 1 that's harder than the rest. That chapter is bitch, but the rests are breezes.

Thankfully, the story is very good. Cases 1 and 4 excel.

I recommend it, but next time I hope Capcom makes Apollo Justice more compelling.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #1319
Aaron
Biding time on the SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun View Post
So how unfortunate that I find myself un-compelled by the game's namesake character. He doesn't compare to Phoenix Wright at all, and every time I see Phoenix Wright in this game I get a sense of pining. Same goes to Klavier, the game's prosecutor. Despite his rock persona, he's too laid-back during court proceedings, that I do not get the same sense of satisfaction from witnessing the taut rivalry of Phoenix and Edgeworth. The detective that replaces Dick Gumshoe is more than annoying (albeit cute). About the only well-written characters here are Kristoph, Trucy and Phoenix.
Yeah, just beat the game as well. This isn't really spoiler heavy or anything, but just as a courtesy for others...

Minor Spoilers

People's reception to Apollo kind of reminds me of the reactions to Raiden in MGS2, in that the game seems to almost go out of its way to make their new leads disappoint - especially when compared to the former protagonists. I mean, with Phoenix lording over Apollo as if he's some kind of defense deity - not to mention even Trucy outperforming you in a number of sequences - it's hard for him not to look second rate. Yet what's interesting about both games is that, all things said, the characters aren't substantially different from their earlier incarnations. Raiden might be doing girly cartwheels to dodge gunfire while being whipped by his girlfriend in codecs and generally, but he still plays the same as power-male-fantasy cool Snake. Similarly, Apollo might seem several steps behind even some of his allies, but he still cross examines mostly the same and isn't any stupider than Phoenix was in the first game.

Also found it somewhat curious that, Apollo aside, the game seemed to go out of its way to make the general character roles the opposite of what they were in the first three games. Every one of Phoenix's opponents either (initially) pulled every dirty trick imaginable to win or are personally vindictive, whereas Klavier is honest and honorable in seeking the truth right from the beginning - even at the expense of his case. Gumshoe is stupid, happy, and has total confidence in Edgeworth while Ema is smart, jaded, and hates Klavier. Maya is a mystic who tends to be useless often (when she's herself) and is frequently kidnapped or in trouble and needs Phoenix's assistance like a typical video game hero/heroine archetype, while Trucy is a magician who more than capable at solving much of each case herself and even fakes her own abduction because she wants to save you from a potential death threat (they even reversed the ladder/stepladder gag for Apollo and Trucy). Do I even need to address Kristoph and Mia? While this obviously isn't fully true (Apollo and Trucy's dialogue, especially during investigations, still at least strongly echoes Phoenix and Maya for example), it is interesting that the game seemed to go out of its way to try and make sure the cast was distinctive from the other games, even if the games structure still largely remains the same.

End Spoilers

Last edited by Aaron; 02-26-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #1320
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

spoilers too

>> ...but he still cross examines mostly the same and isn't any stupider than Phoenix was in the first game.

And that's the problem for me. Why give him such an obvious resemblance to Phoenix of the first game? Can't they have at least made him more distinct?

>> Also found it somewhat curious that, Apollo aside, the game seemed to go out of its way to make the general character roles the opposite of what they were in the first three games.

Yeah, and it does not work very well simply because it's too obvious. Just make them different, no need to make them obvious opposite, especially if the outcomes are not quite.