About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 11-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #796
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I completed Ratchet & Clank last night. No, not the new one. Not the second or third ones either. Instead, I finally unwrapped the first one and played my way through it. What a fun game! I didn't go through a second time to get all of the Skill Points or Gold Weapons nor did I find all of the Gold Bolts (found 12 of 30 without really looking for them).

Anyway, that final boss had me in fits. I kept coming sooo close then would just die. From the time I began the final planet till when I finally beat Dreck and won the game, it took nearly 3 hours. Awesome boss fight, but tough. Very tough.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:09 PM   #797
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Heh, that boss fight is what prompted me to quit the game and trade it in. I liked it ok until that point though.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:08 AM   #798
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 19 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Finished my first Civ IV campaign. I lost with four turns left because the damned Russians managed to sneak in a SS victory. I tried to stop them when I realized what was going on, but it was too late by then.

I think I'll resume the game a few more years before that point and I'll be more aggressive against them (though they were my allies for the whole game).

Despite that, I have two new games going on small maps. Man, this game sucked up a lot of my weekend.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #799
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancy
Finished my first Civ IV campaign. I lost with four turns left because the damned Russians managed to sneak in a SS victory. I tried to stop them when I realized what was going on, but it was too late by then.

I think I'll resume the game a few more years before that point and I'll be more aggressive against them (though they were my allies for the whole game).

Despite that, I have two new games going on small maps. Man, this game sucked up a lot of my weekend.
I'm still on my first game. I did a custom and turned off all the victory conditions. I mean to kill my way through my first try. Once civ down, two to go!
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #800
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Beat Castlevania DS. On all three endings. I didn't find any bosses all that hard. I just made sure to have all kinds of potions at the ready.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:51 PM   #801
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Completed the story mode in Ribbit King. Fun, wacky kind of game. Good two-player fun. Kind of sad that the computer AI opponents always took exactly the same shots, not to mention were downright brain-dead on occasion (repeatedly hitting their frog into a wall inches in front of them instead of turning around), but all in all a fun game.

Now time to finally finish RE4.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #802
Boy

I just beat Lost in Blue today. The game was suitably grueling, and I mean that in the best possible way. It was a pretty satisfying experience, overall.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:49 PM   #803
technomancy
Registered LUser

I guess I "beat" Mario Kart DS. I've gotten the credits twice already -- once for beating all the missions and once for beating the 100cc Grand Prix (what's the plural of Grand Prix??)

ANNOYING: you can't skip the credits.

I still have the 150cc Grand Prix to finish, and Mission 7 (which I've just unlocked... getting a star rating in 6-6 was a real bitch) Already got a couple staff ghosts unlocked too.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #804
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Quote:
Grand Prix (what's the plural of Grand Prix??)
Grand Prix'
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:02 AM   #805
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Just completed Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and thought that despite a couple of frustrating moments, it was an enjoyable-enough experience to warrant a recommendation. It's definitely unique and quite good looking considering it's not even a prog-scan title. The whole concept of "live ammo" was fun and while the game definitely has two distinct "halves" that seemed rather stuck together haphazardly, both halves of the game were fun, despite their differences.

I think it might be time to load up Heroes of the Pacific.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:57 PM   #806
Boy

Beat Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song yesterday. Jamil's quest anyways. And it only took 45 hours. 1 down, 7 more to go.

Anyways, the last boss was really hard/fun for me. I died more than I care to remember, but it was one of the more intense Turn-Based RPG battles I've been in for a long while. What really set it off on a high note was that when he finally bites it he'll start to do the animation for the attack that was the bane of my existence for the entire battle. I was like "Oh SHI--...wait what? I won?! WOOT!"

Fun stuff.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #807
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

What do you mean 1 down 7 to go? Are there 8 main characters that each have different story quests? As in 8 x 45 hours = 360 hours? YIKES!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #808
technomancy
Registered LUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelleda
Grand Prix'
Apostrophes are not used for noun plurals so that's wrong. Some sleuthing revealed that the plural is, in fact, grands prix. Informed.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:19 AM   #809
Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroGamer
What do you mean 1 down 7 to go? Are there 8 main characters that each have different story quests? As in 8 x 45 hours = 360 hours? YIKES!
Basically. Though it really depends on how much you do in each person's respective thing. My bro is near the end of Grey's quest and he's been playing a little over 20 hours, and I've heard of people who've done quests for 90+.

The thing about RS (and Saga Frontier before it) is that you can just beat one quest and feel satisfied. It strikes the perfect balance between loads of replay value and not making the player feel like they're missing out on something.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:48 AM   #810
Space Harrier
16-bit Poster

Rep Power: 11 Space Harrier is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally got around to beating Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube and I'm still amazed at how unbelievably good it was.

I played a few of the older games in the series, but never beat any of them; the Silent Hill games were scarier, and I never liked the "classic" RE gameplay, so there just didn't seem to be any point.

RE4 completely eliminated almost all of the dumb, stubborn gameplay conventions previous installments stuck to (well, you still can't strafe, but at least you can see what you're shooting most of the time), and as a result, it's one hell of a game. It's a real thriller too- Capcom finally realised that slow zombies just aren't scary, and replaced them with some of the greatest enemies I've ever seen in a game.

This game is totally worthy of all the praise and hype surrounding it; I can't remember the last time that happened.