About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-27-2005, 01:08 PM   #781
jwe8k
Severed Jedi hand

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Beat Shadow of the Colossus last night. Took twice as long as Boy. He's right, though. Awesome.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #782
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Just beat Trace Memory. Definitely worth playing through as it's really nice to see games like this being made. Also, I would go out on a limb and say that there are two points in the story that utilize the DS's design in ways I never anticipated.

Story wasn't too bad either. Won't play through it again despite getting the "good" ending, but it's worth giving it a shot if you own a DS.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #783
Foom
New Poster

Beat the original Max Payne for X-Box last night. I played on hard-boiled mode, and I found that while it was enjoyable, the game was just too easy. I'm no fps guru, but I whizzed through the game like cake through a big man's esophagus.

Going to try Metal Slug 3 now, and see how long it takes me before I become frustrated and end the disc's life in a fury of plastic blood-letting.
Foom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #784
elvis_shrugged
New Poster

Rep Power: 10 elvis_shrugged is an unknown quantity at this point

Just beat Resident Evil 4 (GCN version) for the first time about 10 minutes ago. I picked it up before Halloween, and planned to beat it by today so I didn't forget it and get caught up in MGS3, which I just ordered.

That was such a great game. Playing it really made me feel better overall about the games industry--maybe not everything is a copy of a copy. It took me 16 hours and 54 minutes. Those last couple of bosses were insanely easy, IMO, though they were a ton of fun to play against.

I also beat MGS: Twin Snakes Sunday, in 8 hours and 24 minutes. I loved just about every second of it. I plan to play through MGS3 now in addition to replaying MGS (PSX) and MGS2: Substance for Xbox.

Anyone have any opinions about either of these?
elvis_shrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #785
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Quote:
MGS (PSX) and MGS2: Substance for Xbox
MGS is awesome, and substance is worth the buy just for snake tales.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:09 PM   #786
elvis_shrugged
New Poster

Oh goodness, yes. I love the Substance-exclusive stuff. It's so much fun.

I also started MGS3 today...whoa. I can't believe I didn't buy this last year...it's so good. The only thing is this--I started a game on Normal, and found it pretty hard, ie, in the Virtuous Mission, I got caught on every screen. So I started over on Easy. Only thing is now, it seems a bit too easy. Oh well, whatever, I was going to go through it on most of the difficulties anyway.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #787
Low Emissions
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 Low Emissions is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Low Emissions

Good god, it's been so long since I've beaten a game. I thought I'd never get to post on this thread!!

I beat Armed & Dangerous for the Xbox!

It's kind of short. Not as funny as the trailers made it out to be, but it definitely has it's moments. The shooting can be fast and fun, or just plain frustrating at times, but as a whole the game is pretty enjoyable.

Taa-daaa!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 AM   #788
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Emissions
I beat Armed & Dangerous for the Xbox!

It's kind of short. Not as funny as the trailers made it out to be, but it definitely has it's moments. The shooting can be fast and fun, or just plain frustrating at times, but as a whole the game is pretty enjoyable.

Taa-daaa!!!
I guess it's just whatever chokes your chicken.

Personally, I found that title to be hysterical. But then my funny bone leans toward more of a British humour anyway. And for me, it wasn't just the cut-scenes (which I do think the beginning few were among the best) that were funny, the weaponry was too. I mean c'mon, the shark gun, the Guy Fawkes bomb? Good stuff there.

But I'm glad you enjoyed the overall experience. (And no I'm not a mole for Planet Moon. )
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #789
Low Emissions
64-bit Poster

Don't get me wrong, there were moments where I thought I was going to lose it (for example, when they find the holy sheep or whatever it was and it's covered in TNT, Jonesy says something like, "Just give me two seconds, mates. Let's get this thing off of... DUCK!!!" and the thing explodes... woo!) but I was hoping for just a little more. I thought Giants was funnier. Or at least the first species part of the game was. TIMMY!!!

And yeah, the weaponry was great. Not only was it funny, but it all served a great purpose. The Land Shark Gun was like having another teammate, and things like the Topsy-Turvy gun were excellent for getting a person out of a sticky situation.

Some of my favorite parts of the game were the jump-pack missions, and then they sadly got rid of it for the last few missions of the game. And when the last mission was actually one of those 'defend the castle with the big gun' levels, needless to say I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get to go out with a bigger bang.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:11 AM   #790
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Yeah, I have to admit I was bummed about the last mission too. *shhh*

Y'know.. I got Giants and I /so/ want to like it, but it seems so hard! I'm stuck where the guy's supposed to fly up and rescue those little retards. I just can't get the height, and if I do, I can't control myself correctly and fall into the water where I promptly get eaten upon. Rinse, repeat. (It's like right in the beginning -- maybe level 3?)
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #791
Low Emissions
64-bit Poster

That part of the game is actually pretty tough, but thankfully once you get it the next few hours of gameplay are definitely fun. Just keep trying... it's definitely possible, it's just learning the capabilities of your jump pack that are tough.

Or you can do like I did and grab them in mid-air while they're falling.

One last thing... although the first set of characters you play as are really fun, I found that the second species (the magic chick) is extremely difficult, at least on the PS2. That's when I, unfortunately, gave up. I really wanted to try the big rumbling guy, too.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #792
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I beat Shadow of the Colossus about a week ago, which was fantastic.

But the accomplishment I'm, ahem, proud of is finally beating the flash? game Madness Interactive. Its a really violent, really simplistic yet incredibly hard little beat-em-up/shooter that I've been playing for years now. Come to think of it, I should probably add that game to the guilty pleasures thread.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 AM   #793
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis_shrugged
I also started MGS3 today...whoa. I can't believe I didn't buy this last year...it's so good. The only thing is this--I started a game on Normal, and found it pretty hard, ie, in the Virtuous Mission, I got caught on every screen. So I started over on Easy. Only thing is now, it seems a bit too easy. Oh well, whatever, I was going to go through it on most of the difficulties anyway.
This seems like a good time to mention I finished Metal Gear Solid 3: Fork Wielder on Thursday. At last, a MGS game with a big enough "playground" to truly experiment with all the equipment and special moves! Once you "figure out" CQC (which took me about half the game -- I found it awfully tricky) the gameplay really opens up. And the story -- one you hit the, well, fork-wielding part, I couldn't stop playing. That scene in the torture room -- has there been a more truly effective depiction of violence in a game ever? I struggle to think of one. It made me nauseous.

A couple problems. Sub-menus in a Metal Gear game? To go from one of the best inventory management systems ever to SUB-MENUS? Four button presses to get to the map? No. Just no. Don't take me out of the action like that. Also, if you're going to take away the radar, give me a little more camera control. I agree with the gent upthread who said it's way too easy to get caught in the early game. Once you get used to everything, it's more managable, but you really have to play slowly and methodically now to play-through with a minimum of killings.

Anyway, it's a bloody great game, and I give it a 9.0 on the GameCritics scale. Hands down my favorite MGS.

Up next: As an epilogue to my MGS World Tour '05, I explore the world of The Twin Snakes.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:51 AM   #794
elvis_shrugged
New Poster

I agree, Colonel T. CQC is why, in my opinion, at least this game is so much fun. Hell, I've been caught on just about every screen--and get this, it doesn't feel like a punishment. Maybe it's because I'm playing on Easy, but I feel so much more empowered than in other games in the series. It also took me a while to figure it out, but now I think I have it.

I love how many different ways there are to approach things, too. It finally feels like Kojima and co. have let go of making you be stealthy, and it rocks. And not only that, but the weapons have improved...I once knocked some guard off the mountain with a shotgun.

And that torture scene...I saved just after the cutscene, so I don't know what's coming up, but wow...that's one hell of a cutscene. And the story is just getting better; I can't wait to learn more about these "Philosophers," as they seem to tie up a loose thread from MGS2.

I hope I didn't spoil anything there.

And hopefully later today Katamari Damacy should be coming in the mail. I've been trying to catch up on the games I've missed over the past year or two, namely RE4, MGS3, KD and Twin Snakes.

Oh, and Colonel; Twin Snakes is awesome. I'm already planning on going through it again (and probably a 3rd or 4th time as well). The only thing that doesn't compare to the original is the voice acting, but you'll get used to it. And the cutscenes were a slight bit overdone. Some of them were really awesome though, so that makes up for it.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #795
technomancy
Registered LUser

Rep Power: 19 technomancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Beat Castlevania DS. Last boss was a bitch. As was the, er, third last boss. The real last bosses, I mean, and not those before the bad ending. The first one. Not the second one. Holy fuck did they make that shit unclear. But I beat it anyway.

Making my way through Julius Mode now. I like it. Simpler and more "old-school" gameplay.

Last edited by technomancy; 11-12-2005 at 05:01 PM.
technomancy is offline   Reply With Quote