About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-20-2005, 10:05 PM   #556
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

The repetition in RE4 is forgivable considering they are repeating some extremely fun gameplay
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #557
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Hmm. It's disheartening to hear this kind of reaction from so many people. I wanted to get this game, being a Zelda nut and all, but so many people on this board and on other sites have said that it's no different than the other 2D Zeldas, and that would be a sin for a Zelda game. I see no reason to not believe these comments, though, since it's not made by EAD but by a team whose games I have never played. So what do you think, should I not get it?
It's not a bad game, it's just...unremarkable. (Which, for a Zelda game, is very remarkable, I guess.) It occurred to me earlier tonight that one of the most disappointing things about the game is that it really doesn't exploit its central "gimmick" to the fullest. "Shrinking" and "Growing" are mostly just used to access new areas...to get to the other side of a wall, for example. The environment doesn't scale (this IS just the GBA, of course), so when you shrink you are playing on the exactly same screens as when you are big. When you enter a new room while shrunk, the screen changes, and you appear normal sized. Sure, there are big acorns about, but the gameplay is unchanged.

Basically, when you are small, it doesn't matter that you are small. The gimmick is irrelevant!

There are maybe two clever boss fights where you can shrink down and sneak inside the boss, but that's about it. The rest of the time, shrinking is used to access blocked off areas...it's no different that unlocking a door with a key.

We've seen that scalable environments are viable (Katamari Damacy being the best example); perhaps the Minish Cap and its gimmick should have been saved for a console Zelda instead, where it could have been exploited to its fullest potential.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #558
Reharl

I beat KOTOR 2 ten minutes ago, and boy is it hard to judge this game... I left with a rather positive view of it, but the game shows some serious and unforgivable signs of rushing (sometimes to the point of absurdity). There was one part where I had to kill a baddie, and after I did it, I found an NPC who gave me a lecture on how that baddie was too strong and powerful and how he could not be beaten, and that I should give up. Oblivious to the fact that the ship was exploding and that I had carved said baddie with my dual lightsaber. There are also lots of plot holes and parachuted scenes, unfortunately.

BUT...

I still think it's a good game. Bear in mind I played it on my PC so I didn't have to deal with loading times, horrid framerates or constant glitching.

One particular strength is the influence system. It's just fun to turn your characters to your own alignment. I just wish some of them had more interesting stuff to say or do, and that the whole influence concept wasn't negated and nullified by a certain solo section near the end of the game which I shall not spoil.

My two cents? if you liked the first, do check this one, but not if you have a Xbox and not if you want to be wowed again. The storyline is actually quite good in KOTOR2, but its technical execution will leave you wanting for much, much more.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:20 AM   #559
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

I'm glad you said it, Reharl. I'd pretty much decided I wasn't going to pick this one up, but now that /you've/ said it, I'm definitely not. No need for me to be underwhelmed, especially when there are so many fine games I've still yet to play (that I have, still need to acquire, or have yet to be released).

My thanks!
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #560
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyAcolyte
The repetition in RE4 is forgivable considering they are repeating some extremely fun gameplay
Very true. And the game continues to rock after you beat it. Assignment Ada and Mercenaries are great. The latter still has me coming back for more. And after you beat Assignment Ada you will play through the game again, rest assured *wink wink nudge nudge*.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #561
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Why, do you get to see her nekkid, or something?
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 03-21-2005, 05:38 PM   #562
gamingguy
God of games

Send a message via AIM to gamingguy

Wow, It's been forever since I posted here. I just beat Final Fantasy VII. That's a truely awsome game, and the end was sweet.

Yeah I'm hung like planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye
But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine
'Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me
Cookie
Looks like a stalemate to me
gamingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 PM   #563
legendarypegasu
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 13 legendarypegasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to legendarypegasu

I just beat Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal. I borrowed it from a friend when it came out and I didn't really care for it, in fact I never ended up even beating it. But I saw it for $15 used at the CD & Game Exchange, bought it just so I could have all three. I put it in to make sure it worked, and I could never stop playing it. While not as good as Going Commando, its a great game. I'm actually considering getting a network adapter so I could play online.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #564
Reharl

Up Your Arsenal sure is addictive. I don't know what is with with the Ratchet and Clank games, but once I pick one up I simply must finish it at all costs and at expense of my gaming backlog. I hear the online mode is mint, too.

As for my accomplishments, I found an old save of Valkyrie Profile and couldn't resist it's charm. I ended up beating the game again, only this time I managed to get the A ending (complete with all the events that reduced the Seal Rating) without checking some sort of guide or hints. Also, damn those cute and deadly Hamsters that wipe out my entire party!

I want to follow this up with Baten Kaitos, but apparently it's that time of the year where I feel the uncontrolable urge to play Shenmue 1 and 2. I have a good mind to play both on my Dreamcast and use the same save file thingamajig, so i'm going to find myself some sailors and climb a couple of skyscrapers before I continue my JRPG streak.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:55 AM   #565
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew through Pariah on the beginner mode to get a feel for the game. Going back and playing on the harder settings now. Will do a giveaway for some copies of the guidebook in May when it releases, if there's any interest.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:35 AM   #566
GrandRoyal
New Poster

I finally beat GTA 5 earlier tonight, after I stopped playing for months because I got annoyed at the riots (little did I know how close I was to ending them). And I never cheated once! And now I can! Whoohoo!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:32 AM   #567
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. Not bad at all, provided you don't want a hint of multi-linearity or non-linearity. The Jakarta level is insanely hard.

One complaint: The ending is not nearly as good as the first game's. While I did enjoy Sam's solution to the final crisis, I missed Sarah. She's such a strong point to Sam's character.
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:11 AM   #568
Reharl

Shenmue 1 is finished, yay!

Sidenote: I did not think it was possible to beat Chai during our first encounter (inside the You Arcade House) but I did it! I thought it was one of those pre-determined battles. He still ate my Hong Kong ticket, though.

Next stop, Hong-Kong, Kowloon and Gui-Lin.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:15 AM   #569
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Enduro,

Me! Erm.. Yep. Interest here!
EDIT: BTW, I /thought/ you might be working on something, b/c you've been exceptionally quiet as of late.

Reharl,

You finished it that quickly? Damn, you're good.

Jack,

Are there difficulty settings on Pandora Tomorrow? If so, which setting did you complete the game on?
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

Last edited by Hypatia93; 03-24-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #570
kill flanders
You shall be as gods.

Rep Power: 13 kill flanders is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally beat Xenogears last night. After about 50 hours of gameplay and still being on the first disc, I was beginning to think it might never end. The story definately picked up on disc 2. The gameplay was pretty good, though the battles got repetitive because the dungeons are just too big. There was a lot of dialogue and storyline the game didn't need. Especially the last three characters you pick up - Emeralda, Maria, and Chu-Chu. These three had a marginal importance in the story and kinda pissed me off when I had to take them in my party. Also the CG movies were a little distracting since there are a lot in the very beginning, but none until the end of disc1 and the very end of the story. The fact that they were hand-written cartoons took away from the experience - made feel like I was watching TV.

All those petty complaints aside, overall it was a pretty decent game. The storyline was very awesome and the gameplay was better than most. It took me 70 hours in all, but I'd definitely recommend it if you have the time and patience.