About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #2146
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quelle surprise! Remember Me (PS3) is a pretty great game.

It got universally mediocre reviews but I thought I'd try it as it was a PS+ freebie a while back and I'm desperate to play a decent game. Strangely, I found nothing mediocre about it.

It's a platformer-brawler in the Enslaved mould, with easy platforming and tougher combat. The art style is gorgeous, mixing Paris old and new into Neo-Paris in 2084. The production values are sky-high, and we get a female protagonist who is strong, sympathetic and unclichéd. The story is very good, lost me a couple of times but came together in the end, and the game mechanic of learning new skills (really varied and excellent skills too, which have to be used tactically in combat) is set up by the character getting memory wiped in the opening scene (painful and an integral part of the story).

The difficulty really increases as you go on too, the last few chapters being pretty tough to get through on normal, which is refreshing (though frustrating at times). There is also a great mechanic (remixing people's memories so they think A happened, rather than B) which is poorly implemented but still kinda neat.

All round top game, pick it up!

I also finished Shadowrun Returns (PC). Really enjoyed this one too - 17 hours of interesting RPG-lite for €3.84 on Steam sale. I think I will pick up the DLC for full price to support the developer. Or maybe half price....anyway, great little game.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #2147
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Lifeless Planet (PC)

Mostly agree with Sparky's review. I don't think there is enough there to recommend it at its current price of 20 bucks or so, but it was a reasonable walking simulator, terrible platformer, poor puzzler, and ok story arc. Hmmm.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #2148
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

The Walking Dead (Season 2): Episode 4 Amid the Ruins (XBLA) ~ whoa! what a cliffhanger ending to set up the season's final episode. Had predicted part of the final scene, but still found the decision heartbreaking. While I've enjoyed the first three episodes, I do find myself sharing similar thoughts with the review here at GameCritics that the season just has not lived up the quality of season one. This episode has raised the bar for season 2 and I am eagerly anticipating the final chapter of Clementine's story.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #2149
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Despite not being that invested in the first two worlds, the later stages kept me hooked and I beat Battleblock Theater (360) last night. This is a game that is brutal on the deaths, but never makes it feel like cheap shots, not even the frustratingly hard last level. Highly recommend you pick this game up if you haven't yet, as it is still currently part of the Games With Gold promotion.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #2150
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Three posts in a row, wooooo!

Anywho, beat Demons of the Badlands (Red Faction: Guerilla DLC) on the ol' 360. It was fun making a return to Mars, as I last played Red Faction nearly 3 years ago. Good little diversion smashing things with the sledgehammer, especially the EDF troops!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #2151
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

PT: Ridiculously cool and probably the best marketing I have ever seen for a game. Why has taken this long to think of making a playable teaser to a game?!

This is easily the scariest "game" I have ever played. I of course played it in the dark while wearing studio headphones.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #2152
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Why has taken this long to think of making a playable teaser to a game?!
Kinda funny because the same Konami/Kojima got massive flak for releasing the teaser to MGS V in form of a paid demo?

But seriously i completely agree. This sort of announcement is brilliant. Just throwing a meaningless "PT" at players. Hardly anybody will stop watching the media briefing for it, to impatiently start the download and be the first to play, but later some will try it and then spread the word.

I don't know if the sort of empty loop gameplay was the best they could have done, but everything else got me excited. Just by watching a twitch stream. Myself playing would have given up much too early to get anything meaningful out of it, probably stopped the nonsense at 3rd loop.
No yummy carrot, no donkey movement.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #2153
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

The flak with MGS V was because it was a paid demo. I think they should of launch PT a week ago and had some word of mouth first. There is nothing in the teaser that gives it away as a Silent Hill promotion.

Small things change with each loop, so that made me intrigued to continue land look for the small details that changed and see what happens next. I competed it in maybe 20 or 30 minutes. There is an end.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #2154
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
The flak with MGS V was because it was a paid demo.
I don't know. It had more meat than this short teaser?
So asking for some money is no crime imho.

Quote:
I think they should of launch PT a week ago and had some word of mouth first.
Could also have worked. Leave people curious about it even after they finished the demo. Maybe spread some false clues. Some Crash Bandicoot silhouette or something.
Would have needed then some more effort in maybe another level when there is the actual reveal PT.

Quote:
Small things change with each loop
Quite probably too small for me if i had a ps4 to play it myself, but the Far Cry 3 picture was actually a good explanation what they possibly tried to convey.

sort of at least.

No fan of Kojima, nor ever played more than a demo of Silent Hill, found the movie just ok, so actually del Toros name is what makes the whole combo interesting.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #2155
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes (PS4)

The absence of games on next gen (and a recent sale) meant I got to try out this stealth-em-up. I have literally no knowledge of the MGS universe, so the plot and backstory was just some wacky enjoyable stuff, wrapped up in production values which were through the roof.

Took me a while to cotton on as to how to play, and after that I completed the main mission in just under two hours. This unlocked four more missions, and there are two still locked. So at the moment I've played it for three or four hours and it's pretty good.

Quite forgiving if you mess up the stealth (enemies rush to your last known position), and a number of strategies seem to work although with my limited imagination and unfamiliarity with the genre I was just doing basic stuff. But if this is the demo for a bigger game I can hardly comprehend what that game will be like if the demo provides such a deep experience.

Thumbs up, pick it up if cheap.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #2156
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Completed season 2 of The Walking Dead (XBLA). Great wrap up to another great game. Even with the lackluster first episodes, this season ended on a high note. Another fantastic ending, but for different reasons than season one's finale. In fact, the ending for season two may be superior in some ways.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #2157
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I completed Pikmin 3. I loved it, but I'm worried that this might be the last Pikmin game I'm able to enjoy. Like Zelda before it, the series seems to have stagnated. The game is still as cute and fun as ever, but there's very little left to learn or figure out. I've solved all of these puzzles before.

At least the caves from Pikmin 2 are gone. Pikmin 3's world is a delight to explore, even if it is a bit familiar.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #2158
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

I played through all three Hexcells games this week. Why did I do that? Why did I once think that "addictive" was a complement when describing games?

The games are like a fancy minesweeper sudoku, except with a strong sense of craftsmanship to each puzzle. I had fun with them, but I'm also happy I ran out of puzzles to solve.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #2159
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Bad movies can be a lot of fun, but for whatever reason bad games are usually just miserable. Even so, every now and then I knowingly try a bad game while chasing that B movie feeling. I think I finally found what I was looking for in Lollipop Chainsaw, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

I do wish the game was better. I have no idea how the game works as well as it does, but somehow it feels like it came close to being something special. It's hard to blame specific flaws for ruining the experience when "charmingly flawed" is what I was looking for in the first place, but there are definitely aspects of the game that came close to ruining everything.

The biggest problem for me is that the humor is too crude for being as unfunny as it is. Crude humor can be great, but you have to earn it. If you can make someone laugh at something they'd normally find offensive, it somehow becomes even funnier because of the risk involved. The risk being that if your jokes fall flat, as so many of Lollipop Chainsaw's do, the offensiveness will remain and the result will just be unpleasant. It's a shame that so many of these jokes fail because when the game is just being its weird self it gets plenty of laughs seemingly effortlessly.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #2160
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Finished Mass Effect 3.

I originally started on the 360 2 years ago and didn't finish it for some reason. I started from scratch a Wii U copy that I bought for $5. I ended up liking the Gamepad. I think the game controls suck no matter what controller I use, but I liked having the map on the second screen and being able to put my powers on the touch screen.

I still think the actual game is crap. Going down hallway after hallway crouched behind random 3 foot high barricades. Terrible shooting mechanics. How many times do I need to fight waves of enemies as a NPC hacks into something. Even one of the characters mad the remark, "Here we go again. Another wave of enemies."

I also hated how Mass Effect 2&3 were about gathering a team. Go to this planet and convince this alien to fight with you, repeat.

Despite everything I hated about these games I still like the aesthetics, characters, and worlds that were created.