About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #2131
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I finished The Last of Us a few days ago. That game is so good. It starts pretty strong, and then keeps getting better throughout its entire run time. Heck, It's still getting better, the more I think about it.

Ellie is one of the most impressive AI companions and all around best characters gaming has to offer. But I still want more, somehow. I wish the game gave you more opportunities to interact with Ellie.

I was fifteen hours into the game before a random enemy finally managed to grab Ellie and I had to rescue her. I didn't even know that could happen. Up until that point I'd assumed that she was entirely self sufficient. I was thrilled to discover that it actually was possible for Ellie to die, because it raised the stakes on all future encounters. I think the game should have put her in danger far more often.

But I don't just want to rescue Ellie. I want to be able to toss ammo her way or maybe give her a high five after an encounter. Something. The game does a lot through scripted scenes, but I as a player want the ability to be expressive as well.

I played Ico recently, and it gives you the ability to hold your AI partners hand, if you want. This simple mechanic opens up all sorts of ways to interact with Yorda. For example, in Ico there were plenty of obstacles that Yorda was capable of climbing over on her own, but the game also gave you the ability to hold her hand and help her along if you wanted to. In contrast, it often felt weird to me in Last of Us when I'd climb onto a six foot tall platform, and then not be able help Ellie at all as she struggled to follow.

I was uncomfortable running while holding Yorda's hand, because it always looked like she was being dragged around faster than she was comfortable with. As a result, unless we were in danger, I spent most of the game trying to walk at her pace instead of running everywhere. The AI in Ico was less advanced than in The Last of Us, but the game gave the player more ways to play along, to be expressive. To pretend the characters were real.

This isn't to say that Yorda is still more impressive than Ellie. Ellie is amazing. I just think there's still plenty of lessons left to learn from Ico.

And I'm taking the time now to reminisce about Ico because I'm pretty sure The Last of Us just bumped it off of my Top Ten list.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 AM   #2132
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Hmm, interesting take on the game, cheers for that.

I didn't really feel anything for Ellie, I guess because I wasn't too fond of the gameplay so that probably killed it. It would have been interesting if there was more contact a la Ico. Agree that there are plenty of lessons to learn from that game!

Don't remember Ellie ever having to be rescued in my game apart from maybe some scripted stuff in the Snow section.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #2133
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Holding hands like in Ico would not have worked for these characters, but I think some mechanic for interaction would have enhanced things. I'm just not sure what that mechanic would be. It's just a shame that the best parts of the game, the character moments, happen largely in the background or during cutscenes.

I just played through the Left Behind dlc. That chapter actually does include a lot more character interaction as part of gameplay. It strips most of the original game's combat out and instead focuses on two girls hanging out at a mall, just having fun and talking about their feelings. It refashions the main game's combat mechanics and finds a lot of interesting uses for them in this new context. It's the strongest chapter yet.

I don't want to leave the impression that I'm at all dissatisfied with The Last of Us as it currently stands. I see plenty of room for improvement, but that's a source of excitement rather than disappointment. Because even with all its flaws and shortcomings, it manages to be one of the most effective games I've ever played. I can't wait to see other games take the next step.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #2134
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

I'm surprised to hear you didn't care for the game, Pedro. A lot of what I was excited to see in Beyond: Two Souls is present in The Last of Us, and especially in Left Behind. Except this time attached to a much more solid and elegant game.

I would actually like to see David Cage consult on a game like The Last of Us. He's great at taking social interactions and scenes with character development and actually making those an interactive part of gameplay, which I think could be the next step forward for games like The Last of Us.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #2135
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I liked the character interaction well enough in The Last of Us, but I didn't much like the gameplay, so that was a big stumbling block to enjoying the game. I find stealth gameplay fairly tedious, and tend to just want to get to the end of the game in these cases. So that atmosphere isn't conducive to enjoying the character interaction for me.

I think one of the things I liked was that the gameplay didn't get in the way of the character work in Beyond (it totally didn't ). For me it suited it to have very light gameplay elements, the bits where you failed and had to retry took you out of the 'experience' a bit (eg I failed the Navajo ceremony a couple of times).

Thinking back on it I found a lot of the levels in The Last of Us very gruelling and tedious - the subway stealth section, the hotel, the sniper level, the hospital etc. So I didn't have much sympathy for the protagonists.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #2136
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Transistor (PS4)

Eventually went back to this and finished it off in a few long-ish sessions.

I got into it a lot more and finished the game massively impressed. The setting and visuals were spectacular. The style, presentation and polish were as good as you'd expect from the makers of Bastion.

I grew to enjoy the combat, but that was always secondary for me anyway. Like Bastion, as well as awarding you increased powers as you level up, they also give you optional items to make the game harder (eg this shortens your turn duration, that makes enemies hit harder etc) so you can tailor the challenge.

I didn't use any of that though. I accidentally recorded 15 mins of early footage from the game and when I went back and watched that I was absolutely appallingly bad at combat, so once I got a handle on that the game worked well for me. Would be interesting to see my first steps in Dark Souls like this, would be equally terrible I am sure.

Generally agree with Richard's review on the main page.

Last edited by Pedro; 06-10-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added link to review
Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #2137
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Trine 2 Complete (PS4)

Well, Trine 2, the main campaign. The Complete version seems to include at least two if not three more campaigns.

I find myself agreeing with another Richard review - very, very good game. The penultimate level was a bit of a drag, as these things usually are, but top marks.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #2138
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Valiant Hearts - The Great War (PS4)

An Ubisoft game I enjoyed! :P

Interesting mostly for it's graphical style, in between it's zany plot and puzzle solving it still has something to say, as you'd expect from a game during WWI. The message was a bit mixed at the end but disregarding the 'message' it was a game that was sometimes fun and sometimes frustrating but fairly easy to breeze through.

I'm not sure I would have bought it (it's only 15 bucks or so) if I hadn't been starved for games on the PS4, but I'm glad I did. Enjoyable.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #2139
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Finished Damnation ("hardcore" mode) last week on the box. The game had a great idea and setting, but the rest seemed like it was designed for the N64, and not in a good way. Not disappointed that I played it through to the end, but when beaten it went right to the "for sale" pile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Valiant Hearts - The Great War (PS4)

I just found out about this game today and am also thinking of taking the full-price plunge. Any more thoughts on the game?
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #2140
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Hmm, I would recommend it, I think, but bear some things in mind.

It's a simplistic puzzle-platformer with a pretty great art style, as you can see from the screenshots. Gameplay consists of avoiding obstacles, throwing stuff to knock other stuff into reach, and taking object A to use with the nearby object B. One reviewer said the puzzles were at the level of a six year old, but I still had to look some of them up (I'm blaming unfamiliarity with the genre ).

There is a good-ish story, and the game itself is highly polished and flawlessly executed (as opposed to some other puzzle platformers like Vessel for example). It definitely conveys the horror and senselessness of WWI.

I think I completed it in 4 sessions of 1-2 hours, it is a short game by conventional standards and some people say it is 4 hours long (who are these people, they consistently complete games in half the time it takes me).

It's a wee bit repetitive, and you should break it up into short sessions anyway for max enjoyment.

All in all I was very happy with it. For a more critical view, RPS had a review wot I mostly agree with.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 AM   #2141
Pedro
64-bit Poster

PS It uses Uplay; I didn't have to sign up for, or log into this on console (I could just ignore it), but it may be different for PC. I don't know.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #2142
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I loathe UPlay so I am struggling to start Valiant Hearts... played the opening and am about two hours in. But the reason I post in the thread is F1 2012. Completed a season on medium difficulty, driving with my brand new Logitech G27. Started out with Team Williams and switched to Ferrari just before mid-season. Won every race after the switch. It was clear I was world champion before the last two races, behind me was Fernando Alonso with Hamilton 3rd. Actual world champion 2012 Vettel only came in 4th.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #2143
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Nice, how long does it take to complete a race in F12012?

I have finished Metro: Last Light (PS3). Exceptional environments, reasonable story (which unravelled a bit at the end, which seemed a bit rushed/abrupt).

WhyOhWhyOhWhyOhWhy dept: for the most part it was pretty fresh, and managed to avoid the mandatory turret sequence (apart from maybe 30 seconds at one point), but why must shooters include these horrible arena battles where you're stuck in a pit with a bullet sponge. I can't believe anyone likes these, not even the 12 year olds. I am a lot more forgiving now that I have finished the game though, so I can forgive these two or three instances, despite them almost meriting rage quits during the game.

Another Gripe: what is the fucking deal with these directional sound effects, where you can only hear the person if you are standing unmoving facing them? Jesus christ. You can get around this via subtitles of course, but there were several instances in the game where I could have rescued people but couldn't find them because the sound cues made no sense/faded out if you moved. And every single game has this!

Good game, worth checking out if you are looking for an FPS.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #2144
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I completed Pigsy's Perfect 10 DLC for Enslaved, several years after buying it. In fact I had to re-buy Enslaved for a fiver in order to play it.

It was good, pretty good in fact. Puzzle platforming in a big colour-saturated mech junkyard, mixed in with a fair bit of shooting. Enjoyable.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #2145
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Finished Rayman Fiesta Run. Completed all main levels and one of the side missions that had numerous shooter-style levels. Not a huge fan on gaming on phones/tablets, but this was quite an enjoyable game with relatively good controls. Also doesn't hurt to have an excellent artistic style.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote