About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #1726
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
(going through the post game end DLC on Fallout 3 GOTY... picked the flying saucer first... really wished I hadn't. Awful mission.)
My thoughts exactly. Got the GOTY edition myself, also did Mothership Zeta mission first, it was terrible. Just boring. If I had to give a positive about it, it would be that it *is* satisfying blowing those aliens heads off, they're so weak up until the game starts throwing abominations at you. Which would be another positive, the abominations look freakishly awesome.

Did the DLC where you go to that slave camp place... It was better, but not a lot.

GTA IV and GTA IV: The Lost And Damned

Completed the main stories of both of these recently, I wouldn't have the patience to do either to anywhere near 100%. IV was a good game, but the story lost it's way after the first third; it just got really tedious and lost it's aim. I didn't care about any of the characters in the end, which was a shame because I started off quite liking Nico and Roman Bellic, and Brucie.

However, I thought the complete opposite of TLaD; started off with a bunch of characters I didn't like, but each and every one grew on me. Even characters who were complete shits, like Billy, I really wanted to find out what they were up to, what was going to happen... they were mostly a pretty fascinating bunch. Also, the story finished WAY sooner than I would have liked. The ending was brilliant, it's rare I go away really wanting more. Just a shame the game itself wasn't as good as the main part of GTA IV, due to a load of the side missions being removed, and the ones put in not being very good.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #1727
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

N.O.V.A. for iDevices. It's a small FPS which heavily borrows the original Halo in terms of feel and artstyle from the faceless space marine with gun down to the AI companion. It's pretty obvious that the developers are pretty big Halo fans themselves. The main difference being that Master Chief is usually quiet while the main character of Nova tries to be a smartarse and fails miserably. That I can't even remember his name despite playing just a couple of hours ago says quite a lot about how memorable the story, plot and characters involved are. Not at all.

To be fair: I didn't try multiplayer. But I couldn't be bothered to convince any of my iPodPadPhone-friends to dish out 4 € just to try out the multiplayer.

If you love Halo and can't live without a Halo-derivative on you iPodPadPhone, this is your game. Everyone else better waits for something more compelling. Maybe a game which is not so much in love with a popular franchise on one of the big consoles.
6/10

I'm now back to the brilliant Cut the Rope, which got a bunch of extra-levels last week
Old 11-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #1728
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Castlevina Lords of SHadow on hard, corridor on the rail levels made it feel worse than the LOI and COD the story is basically LOI with a different twist and attempts at a more euro setting. Its to focused on combat and not as smooth as God of war's combat to boot. All in all its not worse than COD and LOI but its as bland and generic. CV should be done like zelda on the large scale not a clone of the hottest action title going.... Zelda(semi open world) + better combat and level design 3D map lots of items good skill paceing.... what is there not to like?

Almost done with Resistance fall of man
ZippyDSMlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #1729
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Goldeneye 007 (Wii)
Most of the game was beat on Agent (I think that's "normal" difficulty, right?). Became extremely frustrated with the last level and switched to Operative ("easy" I guess...). The last level seemed to take the difficulty curve, that had been gradually building most of the game, and throw it out the window. Not sure how I feel about going back and working on higher difficulties and time trials. Tis a shame too, because up 'til the final stage, Goldeneye 007 (Wii) was really up there for one of my favorites of the year.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #1730
crackajack
64-bit Poster

DJ Hero 1
High: Noisia – “Groundhog” Beat Juggle (Produced and mixed by The Scratch Perverts)
The through fire and flames of DJH. Medium was already hard enough for me.
Low: Foo Fighters – “Monkey Wrench” vs. Beastie Boys – “Sabotage” (DJ-Guitar mix)
the song rocks, but that's the problem. It was so much rocking i lost any rhythm while the guitar shredded. The guitar sound overshadowed the scratch sounds, i couldn't hear what i was supposed to do. Had to retry dozens of times.
WTF: the multiplier seemed to have sometimes a will of its own

Liked it very much. Difficulty was most of the time well adjusted and it felt very much like i actually did how the music sounded.
The track list had some repetition with some songs used more than once but overall it was fine.
I gotta play online a bit now and might get DJH2 when the price gets lowered.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #1731
crackajack
64-bit Poster

World of Goo
Already bought and played the disc-version at release. Now bought it again on GfW-Live. Just to replay it, re-support 2dBoy and to get the 200 gamerscore. Some OCD-challenges had to be solved in an almost buggy way so i did get some only by previously get some "inspiration" on youtube ... and it has some problems with sleeping AI and the limiting one button control, but i love it nevertheless. Fun gameplay (already liked the bridge builder games a lot), the style reminds me very much of Tim Burton, awesome music and a nerdy enjoyable story with sort of depth for the nonsense goo world basis.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #1732
KittenMitton
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 KittenMitton is an unknown quantity at this point

Beat God of War 3 on normal mode, and am at Zeus on titan mode. I'm dying often by the hand of Zeus XD I really need to have the patience to keep deflecting his attacks. But I kind of just want to go and slap him around. Doesn't work =[
KittenMitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #1733
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Finished Fallout New Vegas last night, well one of the endings at least. Not going to spoil anything, but having put 70 hours into the game, I was surprised at the amount of things I left unfinished. (Some of those quests couldn't be finished due to bugs, but still).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #1734
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I just finished Machinarium, which is a cute little adventure game. It came along with the Humble Indie Bundle 2, which is something everyone here should at least look up.

I also finally finished Aquaria, which I got a year ago as part of the first Humble Indie Bundle. That game is surprisingly good. The game-play is reminiscent of Super Metroid, but I actually think I enjoyed it more than that game. Metroid has better combat, but Aquaria really nails the "wonder of exploration" feeling, more than any other game of its type. It helps that you're exploring a living ocean instead of a relatively boring cave system, I suppose. Also, the gasps of delight or shock your character makes upon encountering something new for the first time really go a long way towards increasing the excitement. This game is full of neat little touches like that.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #1735
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I gave up on Machinarium at the coal cart + overhead scoop level - too much trial and error with button alignment and wire connecting. Frustrating. Does it get any better after that, or is it more of the same?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #1736
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I thought that was one of the weaker puzzles in the game, mostly because it contained a timing element (you have to jump out of the scoop at a certain point on its trip) the the game hadn't really prepared you for. It was just a little more frustrating than it needed to be.

The rest of the game is better, but it's still going to be the same style. These point and click adventure games often require a lot of trial and error to figure out what's going on. Sometimes you make a key observation early that lets you quickly solve a puzzle and you feel incredibly clever afterward. Sometimes you miss some tiny detail and you end up stuck with no clue what to do next other than to try clicking on random things. If you don't like point and click adventure games, this game is probably not for you.

Machinarium made me feel clever far more often than it made me feel frustrated. And I really liked the game's aesthetic.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #1737
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I actually liked the game's aesthetic too, and found it quite charming. However with that level, I finally got up to the shelf, and then found there was another trial and error puzzle (can't remember if it was wires or buttons) which was just a bridge too far. I quit the game, and every time I go back I have to re-do the button alignment for the scoop because I didn't save. So I end up quitting each time! I think I'll consider the game 'complete' and leave it at that!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #1738
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Broken Sword Directors Cut on iPod.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #1739
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Fear 2 Reborn
The AI was strong in the original Fear. Gone since Project Origin linearity.
The music, that was fine in the main games, meh.
Creepiness, especially after Dead Space, non existent.
No real bosses, no satisfactory evil end.
Actually a short uninspired level pack.
For 1.99€ it was ok, but there are mods available for some games that are far better. The usual price is a joke for the 1.5 to 2 hours content.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #1740
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

On the road for the past few weeks with my trusty DS, but only brought two games. One DS and one GBA. Just beat an oldie but goodie: Super Mario World (GBA edition). Beat the game twice, once as Mario (using the front entrance to Bowser's castle) and once as Luigi (using the backdoor to Bowser's castle - Luigi is a freak like that!). SMW is probably my favorite 2D Mario game.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote