About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #1711
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Completed the StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty campaign on brutal difficulty. It's the best single player RTS game I've ever played, by far.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #1712
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Not exactly a game by itself, but I downloaded, played and finished all Mass Effect 2 DLC this week. Since Kasumis stolen memories, Overlord and the Lair of the Shadow Broker kept me busy for roughly the same time as the Modern Warfare 2 singleplayer did I thought I can mention that here

I enjoyed playing the DLC. I would like to see bioware make more bridging content to ME3 so that my Shepard has something to do until ME3 comes out.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #1713
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Just finished Trine. Enjoyable platformer, really liked the colorful levels. The end was a bit disappointing. At some points I wasn't sure if I completed the puzzles the way they were intended to, thanks to the skills of the mage. My sophisticated box-bridge-designs solved pretty much all problems.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #1714
crackajack
64-bit Poster

CoD4: Modern Warfare
I have already played it once on PC, more than a year ago, and spent some hours with the MP earlier this year.
Some things are great, some are really bad in SP.
Without the clever rank spamming the MP would have been very fast boring.

Now i replayed it on XBox because a friend prefers it on console. Pad feels better suited to the game he says.

I did again like some things, graphics especially for the almost wii like resolution, variety, hit feedback but disliked the overall "war is fun and you could be the hero" tone, incl. the failed drama when they forgot once that heroes never die. I can not take that serious because of the rest- Tom Clancy at age 10 could write a better story. And upmost the bad AI + triggered spawn stops.
Played it now on Veteran, compared to only Hardened on PC: if i don't love it at least let it be at the end a satisfying challenge. On this level it showed even more the lack in good AI programming. It is a game that hardly differs from the path Goldeneye went years ago. Crysis might have its issues but at least it was another evolution of the genre (like Far Cry before). The style is overwhelming but with their money a good story writing and AI programming should be possible, as it is it's too much intense style over substance.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #1715
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished Uncharted 2. Among thieves is a fitting subtitle, since they blatantly ripped off movies like National Treasure, the Mummy and of course Indiana Jones. At times the game felt like a theme park ride attached to aforementioned movies and while I thoroughly enjoyed playing it, it's story didn't leave lasting impressions. That means: of course I remember roughly what happened, but if someone retells random scenes from National Treasure or Uncharted 2, I couldn't tell which was which.

Uncharted 2 is also the first game I played and finished on my PS3. It has a very cinematic feel to it, with loading screens cleverly disguised as narrow passageways or unskippable cutscenes. It is a really pretty game and sometimes I stopped in my tracks, just looking around and admiring the landscape. It knows that it's pretty and uses everything it has to full effect.

Somewhere at the 90% mark I was then reminded on the whole games are art-discussion and why there's still plenty of doubt if games can be art to begin with: they're not even trying to. I wouldn't call National Treasure a piece of art, neither can I say that about anything connected to Nathan Drake. I won't quote Uncharted when going out with my friends - maybe inadvertently, since so many quotes could be from any of the movies above - and the only thing I learned about the human condition is that grenades work well against dudes with riot shields.

That said: everyone with a playstation 3 owes himself experiencing this game for the technological marvel it is. Unfortunately not for it's depth.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #1716
NeoRanger
8-Bit Poster

Finished Mafia II. One of the biggest disappointments I've played (considering how much I enjoyed the original). The writing was sub-par, the mechanics were functional but unremarkable and unfortunately, as technically solid as it may be, the title feels very poor. You don't make a giant city from the ground up and then yank it away from the player's reach just after you showed them how pretty it is. The original got away with it, because sandbox was still in its infancy (at least in terms of mainstream appeal), but between Saint's Row 2 and GTAIV, Mafia II just can't keep up.
NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #1717
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Got over ~95% of the gold awards in Geometry Wars Galaxies. Some levels and new enemy types were fine but overall the most fun i had in the Geometry Wars 1 style of gameplay; i.e. circling around and shooting a path through the enemies and hardly see where i'm going.
The drone feature was interesting but basically only two work fine: attack, which widens the path by shooting in the direction you yourself do and the circling drone which is good for moving not much in the more limiting levels, the other 6 hardly worked for me in any instance.
Wiimote controls work good, but maybe in any way or just because i'm used to two stick controls i am much better with the classic controller.

GW Retro Evolved on DS is included by Download to play.
Stylus controls seem ok, but similar to the wiimote-control i loose the information in which direction i shoot because pointing the stylus above the datum point doesn't feel different than pointing below. A pushed upwards stick is pushed upwards, i don't have to see the direction on screen, i know it directly because i do it.
Might need just training to master it, and for aiming precisely it is better, but in the frantic, later minutes i don't have time to aim, i move sort of intuitively.

4/6 of Arcade Unplugged Vol.1:

Geometry Wars 1
Missed the twelved achievement by 70000 points which is actually not much (with 4 bombs left... damn), but after that every retry was worse so i have to pause a little and regain motivation to do it later.
But basically i know how to do it, my high score is above 2mio, so surviving bit by bit isn't that hard anymore but getting 1mio in one run is hard.
The gameplay and the waves of enemies are very polished. There are some waves that appear harder to me, and the hardest part for me is now actually the beginning, because i am bored with it and die thus. There should have been a pro mode which leaves that slow part out.
The game modes of GW Gal. hardly differ much, but if you want variety buy that, if you want variety in the way you have to play buy GW 2, but the basic experience in "circling" is best in GW 1, with the XBox-Pad, imo.

Texas Hold'em
Too slow pacing. It's realistic to show every single player if he holds or not and rises the money, but in a game it's unnecessary. Scenarios are already tough for me, i just lack the patience to wait for really good cards, because gambling seems impossible with CPU players that can't loose nothing. Savegame which saves really every move is also hard and i lost thousands of dollars so far.

Backgammon
Never played i t before, explains the rules sufficiently and after winning some rounds it get's boring very fast.

Bejeweled 2
On of the most crappy games i ever played. Puzzle/ incognito mode was ok, although there is a press to win button, but the rest is nonsense or takes way too much time. At my first try in Classic mode i got to level 13 without knowing the rules, just doing what was possible without any brains, my best try after 10 hours of overall game time stopped me at level 15. Pure luck to survive. The same with action mode were seeing the matrix is necessary to survive so long until the lucky blocks fall from above that let you win the round. So you just have to invest much time to win. To win, no skill needed beside seeing the patterns faster, which is more a talent than really trainable? And endless mode takes really forever. Stopped at level 20, because i would have to go until level 280, some hundreds hours?
Pure shit as a game, awesome for wasting as much time as possible.

Last edited by crackajack; 10-27-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #1718
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished arcade mode of Super Street Figher 4 and played quite some versus as well. It has the same old problem of you being able to beat everyone who's not an extremely determined and skilled player by pressing buttons at random. A button is often enough if you choose the right character. I was having multiple winning streaks of more than 5 games in a row by only using the R2-button (heavy kick, that is - or punch, if you're Dudley or Balrog). Nice game but I don't see any long-term appeal for me.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #1719
etherangel
New Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to etherangel

Eternal Sonata.

It was meh. My JRPG fix was left unsatisfied =(
etherangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #1720
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Trials HD
High: Finishing one of the extreme tracks seconds before time's up.
Low: Failing on a single jump for 25minutes... twice.
WTF: The flawless, it's-soooo-easy replays of the top players.

I loved Elastomania and i think it's still the funnier experience with its crazy physics, fast spins, (at least in my memory) more forgiving gameplay and one wheel driving segments, but Trials also offers some nice tricky semi-realistic tracks and a lot of extra challenges. Also great.

Pity they limited the custom tracks exchange to friends and getting some great tracks would end in "hunting" the creators with friend invites. Nonsense.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #1721
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Vanquish - if I have to describe Vanquish in 3 words it would be: awesome, awesome and checkpoint. I died 102 times while playing the campaign once, thus I saw 'restart from checkpoint' quite often. However, since it's so awesome I didn't have a problem with it. Main reason for dying were one-hit-wonder abilities of various bosses which can be seen quite clearly. But since I rather fired one more rocket than pressing X (dodge) to not die I guess I'm to blame myself for roughly 90 of the deaths. The other dozen deaths were because I got confused with the camera at one particulary nasty boss who likes to wallwalk. But even the credits in this game are awesome when you can blow up the designers. Everything else I think I already mentioned a couple of times in the forums here

Cut the Rope - my favourite iPod game so far. Very simple outset: cut the rope(s) to get a piece of candy to a outrageously cute little monster. Spikes, air bubbles, electricity etc. get introduced after a while and make the puzzles more and more complex. The only negative I can say about it is that it's already over after 100 puzzles or so. But considering the price of less than a I can't complain about the length and there shall be more levels in future
Old 11-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #1722
etherangel
New Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to etherangel

Kirby's Adventure for the NES.

Ah, some cool, old-fashion Kirby-ness. Actually, it was nothing too spectacular thanks to repetitive level design, but re-learning who all the bosses were and playing as UFO Kirby was worth the 5 dollar purchase (I know, I don't use an emulator. I downloaded one, but I'm still haven't figured out how to save =/ )
etherangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #1723
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Super Meat Boy
I have only done so far the Light World part and as i already had "some" trouble getting through i doubt i will ever manage to beat the Dark World.
Very hard, but not at all frustrating. Except the level before the end boss. It was the first level were i had to stop permanent running, holding LT constantly, but i just forgot that and jumped repeatedly with the energy of the turbo into death... a lot of times... after getting the idea how it would be easier it really suddenly was easy. Damn stupid me. All together with some chapters of Dark World and the Bonus stages i discovered, stats say i died glorious 3500 times.
I didn't like the ventilator segments. While everything else was also sort of pixel precise hard, there i never got a feeling for the correct approach. Passing was more luck than anything else.
As my brother finished NSMBwii recently and i watched him play some levels, it appeared to me that SMB really just copied a lot of the old SMB formulas. But everything compressed and with more speed. So it persuaded me, a 2d JnR denier since SML on the Game Boy, to a fan.
I don't have to run through a rather long level to get to the specific jump i already missed more than once. Here i just restart and in some seconds, some jumps later i'm already there for my next try.
SMB was similar to Trackmania. Instant restart until you beat the time and each retry never takes long.

What i missed a little was some epicness World of Goo had. Ok, the characters were cute in a weird way, and the music was some nice reverence to old arcade music, i guess, and variety was fulfilled in each chapter, but although it made nothing particularly wrong in my perception, there was the constant feel that it could be a bit better with a somewhat more ingenious developer.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #1724
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Pinball FX2
It said it's a free "Full Game"! Yeah!

But usage of content is limited and then i see the "core" has to be bought. wtf!

It's in a similar way free as the Game Room, not at all a free Full Game.
Tinker for GfWL was free, but that's a demo or rather a demo platform! (as an upgrade for Pinball FX1 owners it's free)

You can try some tables but you have to pay for saving your highscores and get achievements.
So why is this Demo now listed in my achievement list when it's actually a demo? Any other demo didn't do that.

I have to pay for nothing, ok, but i hate it when free Full Game doesn't mean what it means.

BTW
I never liked any flipper game and so i didn't like this "Full Game" of FX2 too, but i played every table once and finished everything this free version offers; pretty much nothing.

Last edited by crackajack; 11-25-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:50 AM   #1725
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Rage - Mutant Bash TV for iPhone/iPod

I played the HD version of this rail-shooter. It's a technical marvel and really impressive what id software can sqeeze out of the iDevices. Especially considering how much muddy texturework I've seen elsewhere on 3D-iDevice-games. The controls also work quite well (in theory, see below). You use the gyro to aim and the touchscreen to reload, change and fire weapons etc. The sound is also pretty nice, the weapons have proper sounds and the little voicework that is there is also quite neat.

However, I have three issues with it.

First: the camera movement feels jerky. Unlike many other rail-shooters the cross-hair is always in the center and with the tilt (or swipe if you use an alternative control method) you change your viewpoint. This is where the trouble starts: since the movement is controlled by the game you can get this weird disconnect when you e.g. tilt to the left to pick up some power-ups but the game suddenly decides to turn quickly to the right. I never felt in control of what was happening on the screen, which is a bad thing for an action game.

Second: it's very short, given it's meaty download size of more than 700mb I expected a much longer game. I don't contemplate that much about the value for money since it's less than a for the regular and less than 2 for the HD version and the score attack with soon-to-come online leaderboards give you replay-value if this is your kind of thing.

Third: more from an aesthetic standpoint it's just an ugly game. Sure, postapocalyptic yadda-yadda-yadda, but the few levels don't really show much of a variety. Your blasting away the same few enemy types over and over. If you make a game to show off your awesome tech, show us some nice things to look at dammit!