About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte
Gaming Goals - 2016

Saw the previous thread for 2015 just got updated. Figured I'd start a new one for this year.

My goals:

Beat 3 games for every 1 purchased.

Beat at least 1 game a month.

Beat a AAA game while it's relevant (stole this from last year's thread).
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Gaming Goals - 2016

#1 is a really good goal!

I need to get back to playing games in a more structured manner and not have several on the go at once. Also I bought a crazy amount of games last year and didn't play them.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

My gaming goals for 2016:

1) Return to Rocksmith 2014 on a more regular basis, 3-4 times a week.

2) Complete Bioshock trilogy, albeit out of order as I have already beaten Infinite.

3) Play three games on my "to play" list.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
Pedro
128-bit Poster

It would be really handy if Bioshock 1 & 2 were on your to-play list
Old 01-14-2016, 02:26 AM   #5
Pedro
128-bit Poster

frogofdeath - I think you said you have them already and dunno if you're on PS3 but FYI Bio 1&2 are on sale on PSN right now for cheap. I picked them up and will run through them again this year.

Ok, I have come up with my own gaming goals, some major, some minor:

1. I have more time this year so I need to get back to PC gaming (which I associate with big, timesink games for some reason). More PC Gaming.
2. Attempt a proper 4X game. I never got on with Civ or the like, but I would like to figure the genre out. Potential games which I already have are Distant Worlds (space 4X; build queues seem more appealing when they are spacecraft) and Endless Legend. I need to give one of them a fair shake.
3. Take a more structured approach to buying and playing games. This covers a multitude of areas; for example managing the backlog, committing to a game till it is finished, not having too many open-ended games on the go at once (sports, exploration, survival, strategy). Basically maximising the experience and not letting it get too aimless, like I have been doing by buying lots of games.
4. Play a classic game I already have but will never get to - candidates are the RE games, Vampire The Masquerade, Fahrenheit, Stalker Call of Pripyat.
5. I have a 16-season campaign going in Out of the Park Baseball; carry on with this (after a year break) and win the pennant with the Angels.
6. Specifically backlog related - clear out some of my PS3 backlog.

Phew, not much there, eh? I should be fine.....
Old 01-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #6
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Unfortunately no PS3. Really want one, because there are plenty of games I would like to play, but can't believe PS3s are still $200+. I really miss the days when "old" consoles became bargains at $99.

Also, the first two BioShocks are not on my "to play" list, even though I want to play them My "to play" list is small sheet of paper I scribble games down on that I read about and want to play eventually. Usually not triple-A games, just ones I find out about and am interested in. Here are a few:

• Afro Samurai
  • Bully
  • Bourne Conspiracy
  • Captain America
  • Jurassic: the Hunted
  • Up
  • Wall-E
Wii
  • Tatsunoko vs Capcom All-Stars
  • Muramasa the Demon Blade
  • Mad World
  • Sonic Colors
  • Ivy the Kiwi
Currently playing Sonic Colors, but having a hard time enjoying the game. Really want to, but it's just not grabbing me. One plus world in, will finish a second, but if still nothing it will be sent back.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:17 AM   #7
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Long or short backlog? Plan on beating the games in your backlog or just play them and move on?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Well, when I was checking out the PS3 January sale, I noticed I had a bunch of 'good' games that I would not have bought myself (PS+ freebies) but I think I should check out:

DMC Devil May Cry
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Crysis 2
Battlefield 3
Dead Space 3
Resident Evil 5

Then there were the games I bought in the sale:

Bioshock 1 & 2
Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare
Deus Ex Human Revolution

So that's a sizeable 'backlog' that kinda jumped out of nowhere! I think I would try and beat the single player campaigns if possible.

There was also a load of junk that I will never play - Catherine, Batman Arkham Asylum, Saints Row 3, the new Thief. But if I can engage with the list at the top of this post I'll be happy.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
Pedro
128-bit Poster

That's a good 'list' by the way. I haven't played anything on it
Old 01-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Always thought about picking up one of the Crysis games when they've been on sale, but never took the plunge. Not sure why, but the series sure looks intriguing.

Undead Nightmare is fantastic! Rivals the original game and even surpasses it in some regards. If I had the time, Red Dead and Undead would be at the top of my replay list.

Even though you said you would never play the games, I would also highly recommend Catherine & Saints Row 3.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:41 AM   #11
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Yes, I'm looking forward to Undead Nightmare as I haven't played it before and RDR is one of the few games I have completed twice.

I have a thing about finishing/beating games so I tend not to start those I suspect I won't like. Catherine had a lot of negative comments about the climbing puzzles, and I've played a bit of saints row - but those games seem to me to be nothing more than a bunch of mini games with a campaign tacked on. I don't like the humour much anyway!

At the very least there are enough shooters on that list to act as palate cleansers in between fancier genres
Old 01-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Okay, can cross one game off my third goal, play three games on my to-play list:

• Afro Samurai
  • Bully
  • Bourne Conspiracy
  • Captain America
  • Jurassic: the Hunted
  • Up
  • Wall-E
Wii
  • Mad World
  • Sonic Colors
  • Ivy the Kiwi
Sonic Colors was sent back to GameFly today, after barely beating one world. I wanted to enjoy the game, but the level designs are just so poor. Every time you get moving fast the level throws a hard to predict, poorly designed section that slows you down to a walk.

Sadly, Sonic games were best in the 16-bit era, but I know good Sonic games can still be made. Sonic Generations is phenomenal, but also the exception to the rule. Such a shame a gaming icon gets such mediocre games.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #13
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Okay, now checked off two games from my "to play" list.
Wii
  • Mad World
  • Sonic Colors
  • Ivy the Kiwi
Tatsunoko vs Capcom was fun. Love the style of these types of games, but I am so bad at the actual gameplay. Beat the game once, on the easiest difficult, but barely! Glad I played, but time to send back.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #14
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Three months down so here is the quarterly report:

Quote:
1. I have more time this year so I need to get back to PC gaming (which I associate with big, timesink games for some reason). More PC Gaming.
I've done well here; a large part of Feb and March have been spent exclusively PC games; Stardew Valley and Black Desert Online. Thinking of picking up Starpoint Gemini 2 as it is on sale at the moment.

Quote:
2. Attempt a proper 4X game. I never got on with Civ or the like, but I would like to figure the genre out. Potential games which I already have are Distant Worlds (space 4X; build queues seem more appealing when they are spacecraft) and Endless Legend. I need to give one of them a fair shake.
Not yet...

Quote:
3. Take a more structured approach to buying and playing games. This covers a multitude of areas; for example managing the backlog, committing to a game till it is finished, not having too many open-ended games on the go at once (sports, exploration, survival, strategy). Basically maximising the experience and not letting it get too aimless, like I have been doing by buying lots of games.
Yep, have been pretty restrained in my buying habits, at least in comparison to the previous quarter. Have been playing through the backlog on console and have played anything I have bought.

Quote:
4. Play a classic game I already have but will never get to - candidates are the RE games, Vampire The Masquerade, Fahrenheit, Stalker Call of Pripyat.
Not yet...

Quote:
5. I have a 16-season campaign going in Out of the Park Baseball; carry on with this (after a year break) and win the pennant with the Angels.
I got to the World Series but lost out to the Reds. Devastating, especially as I play out every game of the season and takes ages. In the subsequent season I'm 57-38 at the All Star break, but it's a slog.

Quote:
This went quite well - four games down I think! If I can continue making progress here I'll be happy.

So pretty good so far!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:48 AM   #15
crackajack
64-bit Poster

My two simple goals this year:
Spent less time running after trophies in games i don't really love.
Quit bad or just mediocre games much faster.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote