About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
gamevet

Scary Games

I was planning to put together a more extensive thread for this, but free time hasn't exactly been a luxury the past couple of weeks.

Anyways, are there any scary games you play this time of the year to go along with Holloween?

I was thinking about getting Alien Isolation for the PC, but I guess there isn't really a physical copy of the game available. I may end up getting this for either the PS3 or Xbox 360; it's only $50 on those consoles.

I've also been thinking about getting back to play Resident Evil 4 (HD remake) for the PS3. I'd completed about 60% of the game, when I'd played it last year.

I also have Fear 3 for the PC, sitting in its shrink-wrap. I really enjoyed the 1st game, and even though it's mostly a 1st person shooter, it had a few moments that made me jump just a little.

What are some of your games?
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Scary Games

This year I'm planning to play Alien: Isolation as well. I just need to wait a few more days for my new graphics card to arrive, then hopefully I'll be ready to go.

In the meantime I'm playing Fallen London and Sunless Sea. Neither is all that scary, but they're both fantastic and the world they're set in is steeped in horror.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I am playing Alien Isolation at the moment. My last play session yesterday morning ended with me hiding in a locker for ten whole minutes wondering what I was going to do next. At this point I'd recommend it, though finishing the game may actually be impossible at this point.

I haven't played any of the classics like RE or Silent Hill.

Amnesia is the obvious one, but I got stuck in that (possibly also hiding in a cupboard) and never finished it.

Dead Space was pretty scary at times, and is a good game to boot. Dead Space 2 is not scary at all and not recommended.

Miasmata is a game which can be terrifying at times, and it's a horror that arises from feeling lost and helpless (kind of like the Blair Witch feeling) but that horror may not appear until you're reasonably deep into the game (or it may happen straight away, I dunno). However it is a genre which will not appeal to most people, I think.

Left4Dead? I only ever played the first level so I dunno.

One idea would be to play individual levels from video games rather than full games - eg play the Ravenholme level from HL2. This would require you to be able to reach/load up that level though. I remember the village level in Resistance 3 being quite spooky, though the game in general is not.

Aside: Did they not release a physical version of Alien Isolation for PC then? Poor, but I guess the writing is on the wall. I am assuming there is no difference between next-gen and last-gen on the consoles, it seems fine on PS3. Cutscenes are a bit shonky at the beginning but all else is fine.

Yeah, so games or specific level recommendations welcome here too

Edit: Limbo! Just the right level of creepiness and playability

Last edited by Pedro; 10-20-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

System Shock 2 is one of the best games I've ever played, and easily my favorite scary one. And it's on Steam now!
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I spent 2 hellish hours playing Resident Evil 6 last night and the only thing scary about it is how bad it is. I knew going into it that RE6 is bad, but that is not the same as actually playing it.

RE6 starts off with 2 of my least favorite things in games: having to drag a wounded NPC around and quick time events. The first half hour should have been a movie not a game.

I may stick with it to see if there is anything worthwhile in the game.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
gamevet

I decided to open up my sealed copy of The Last of Us (PS3), after holding onto that title for nearly 8 months. The game really didn't start getting scary, until around the 2 hour mark where you'll start to run into the deformed enemies inside of dark buildings.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Yeah, I'm not sure it's scary after that part either.

Spoilers?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I found Demon's Souls scary. "Scary" games like Dead Space, Amnesia or FEAR don't seem to work on me. Especially with Dead Space and Amnesia I got so bored I didn't even go past the first half of those games.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
Pedro
128-bit Poster

That's an interesting one - Demon's Souls was definitely creepy/scary. I wonder what made it different to Amnesia etc? It couldn't just be that you had mooks to kill as you went along, as Dead Space, Silent Hill had those too.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I think the scripting has to do with it. The "scary" games like Dead Space, Amnesia or FEAR have quite obvious triggers for many of their "scares". Demon's Souls doesn't rely on triggers, but is more emergent. My actions directly affect how many of the encounters play out, while especially FEAR and Dead Space have tightly scripted roller coaster "scares" that always play out the same, regardless what I do. The lack of player agency makes it more like an interactive movie in places. And that makes them boring and, well, predictable if you've (like me) seen enough "scary" movies in the past.

I've not finished Dead Space because I got bored, got fed up by Dead Space 2 after the demo already and had to pretty much force myself to finish Amnesia and probably wouldn't have if the game would have going on for an hour longer.

I've never played any of the Silent Hills, hence I can't comment on that.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 11-17-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #11
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Hmm, that's a pretty perceptive comment.

The tension in Demons was brooding and oppressive, while the other games it is a scripted fright. Totally different.

I meant FEAR, I haven't played it or the Silent Hills either.

Alien Isolation was interesting, the Alien was scripted at the start, but later in the game there was some dynamism to the way he stalked you (or so I hear).
Old 12-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
Goatart
8-Bit Poster

I was horrified while playing P.T.

The minimalist design, the cyclical "progression," the sound design. Horrified. Actually yelped a little when a door got slammed in my face. My wife and I had a blast with it but couldn't get thru it in one go, and it's short haha. That's how tense it made me. Admittedly I'm "good" at getting wrapped up in something, so my emotions definitely exaggerate an experience.

But nothing freaks me out more than a darkly lit hallway.
Goatart is offline   Reply With Quote