About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Games of 2014...

Ok, the next-gen is current-gen for quite a while now but I'm still waiting for a game to sweep me off my feet this year. Have I been missing something fundamental?
Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Re: Games of 2014...

There has been no knockouts yet in 2014. I don't even know what my GotY will be yet. Probably something like Steamworld Dig. I've played less games this year.

Dragon Age is the only game I am really looking forward to at this moment.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:48 AM   #3
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

With so many games having been pushed into 2015 (Witcher 3, MGS 5, Bloodborne etc) I start to wonder what we will be playing this holiday season? In my case it might as well be Project Cars. So far I don't even have a good contender for the best beard in 2015-category!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
Pedro
128-bit Poster

No, you've missed nothing. It has been an awful year for games, from my point of view anyway.

If I had to do my GOTY list now, it would be blank.

I've played some 'good' games this year but nothing better than that. Pick of the bunch were Banished, MGS: Ground Zeroes and Valiant Hearts: The Great War. But none of those is a showstopper. Merely 'good'.

Possibly the best game was Divinity Original Sin on PC, but I can't really promote that as I got tired of the expanding enemy parties at around level 7. I may go back to it and see if I get out of the initial area, whether it will recapture my imagination again. Good but not great.

Mostly I have been catching up with older games and DLC on PS3 and PC. I'm finding that there are lots of interesting looking PC games, but they are all Early Access, so screw that.

I dunno what is coming out for the remainder of the year. Hopefully something good.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

The Last of Us: Left Behind dlc came out this year. It's my GOTY so far, no question. Octodad: Dadliest Catch is legitimately great as well.

Titanfall and Dark Souls 2 both looked good to me. I'm surprised people stopped talking about them so soon after they were released, but to my knowledge they were at least well received.

I've heard a lot of good things about The Wolf Among Us, which was mostly released this year (the first episode debuted in 2013).

As far as upcoming games go, I can't wait to play Civilization: Beyond Earth and Super Smash Bros. I'm also looking forward to Alien: Isolation because I'm stupid and will never learn.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I still haven't finished The Last of Us, hence not all that interested in the DLC. And if DLC is the GOTY that's I guess a really bad sign. I had high hopes for Dark Souls 2 myself, but as I've written and discussed (mostly with Pedro): it's good but not great.

Haven't even touched the DLC 'Trilogy' for Dark Souls 2 yet. Speaking of DLC: from my shooter-friends I got the feeling that Titanfall feels like a mod for Call of Duty, rather than a game in it's own right. I'm not sure if that's fair, but it's clear by now that for all the hype Titanfall didn't create the titanic impact which was predicted.

The Wolf Among Us - haven't even tried it, since I'm still turned off Telltale episodic games after the Walking Dead fiasco, where each new episode wiped my savegames. Let me tell you: episode 1 stops being great after playing it 3 times. Telltale games are like a magic trick: once you see the ropes or know where the cards are hidden, it stops being impressive. I can't play a TT game anymore without thinking about how pointless my decisions are in the end, how little impact they have for all the talk about meaningful choices in games like this. To me they are choose your own adventure-type graphic novels, not games.

From what's coming ahead: Civ: beyone earth could be great, but is it better than Alpha Centauri? Alien Isolation looks great as well. But so did Rome 2 by the same studio, until it came out and had more bugs and glitches than the previous games combined (no small feat!). Hence excuse me for being a skeptic when it comes to the Creative Assembly.

Valiant Hearts is a cute little puzzle-adventure with adorable graphics style. But apart from using the useless ubisoft uplay (grrrrrr) it's dancing a strange dance between grim subject matter and comedic effects, including evasion of a bombardment to a funny tune.

Destiny isn't the second coming either.

Well, guess I'll have some time this year to finally play that Tomb Raider game with Next-Gen hair and play the last of The Last of Us.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
The Last of Us: Left Behind dlc came out this year. It's my GOTY so far, no question.
What percentage of time in the DLC is spent crouched behind a crate?

Quote:
I'm also looking forward to Alien: Isolation because I'm stupid and will never learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I had high hopes for Dark Souls 2 myself, but as I've written and discussed (mostly with Pedro): it's good but not great.
Quoted for truth.

Quote:
Well, guess I'll have some time this year to finally play that Tomb Raider game with Next-Gen hair.
Don't do it! It's everything the cinematic action game genre has been pilloried for. And I like cinematic action games.

Coincidentally the new podcast is about this topic, and Brad's blog has a post on it. I think I have turned into the Anti-Brad. Almost 100% opposite views.

He says there is nothing good coming out for the rest of the year, so I have high hopes.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #8
Pedro
128-bit Poster

This Shadows of Mordor seems interesting

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/26/625...s-ps4-xbox-one

Also, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is out soon. I know very little about it but it could be intriguing.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #9
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I am actually happy that it is a slow holiday this year. I own a lot of older games that I need to catch up on and it also saves money.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote