About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #31
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: XCOM Enemy Within

Eager to prove herself after losing her entire squad to Chryssalids (or perhaps just eager to get away), captain Tara Maclay was quick to volunteer for a solo undercover mission infiltrating an Exalt base.

With Tara gone, Lieutenant Dawn Summers did her best to lead a team of rookies against an ever increasing alien threat. She did the best she could, even managing a narrow victory in a very bloody battle against some Mutons, but as time went on it became clear that the aliens were winning this war.

To make matters worse, things went horribly wrong during Tara Maclay's extraction mission, and we lost both her and the information she had gone undercover to obtain.

At the end of the month, the council decided to cut all funding to the XCom project. The aliens win yet again.

107 aliens killed, 18 soldiers lost.

So I failed to make it past the third council report this time. Still, I'm getting better! Next time I'll make it to the fourth!

Last edited by Zanbatou; 12-13-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #32
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

My "regular" impossible run is getting to the point where I really have to mess up in order to loose a mission. Having colonels with titan armor, plasma weapons and blaster launchers is the point where even impossible becomes doable.

Hence I started an ironman impossible run, where I'm now in the second month. Not looking forward to the terror mission. Didn't loose many soldiers yet, but that will change once Cryssalids will appear...
Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Yay! You'll be able to let me know if the game is really this hard, or if I'm just doing something wrong. It sounds like you're already off to a really good start.

Oh, I have enemy health displays turned off too. I don't remember if that's a default setting or not (though I know the original X-Com didn't display that information either).

And I'm using the training roulette setting from second wave. I don't know if that makes things easier or harder.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #34
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I see enemy health, perhaps something in your display options? Without seeing how much health each alien has it's getting even more difficult I gather.

And the game is really hard, I had three attempts on ironman impossible before my current one and in all of them I got 2 squads wiped within the first month. This is the first time most of my soldiers got out alive. Only problem is that I don't get much Meld due to my rather defensive playstyle at the moment. That will definitely bite me in the long run. Now I have 2 squadsight snipers and consider using my 2 heavies as their spotters in the upcoming terror mission. Wish me luck

Training roulette is a mixed bag. Yes, there can be some perhaps overpowered combinations, but you can also loose a couple of very strong abilities. In my classic ironman I had only two troopers that could take lightning reflexes for example, none of them an assault but one support and one sniper(!). So I ended up using my support to draw overwatch shots so that my assault could run in and gun. When my support was in the infirmary I got seriously "locked in" by overwatching aliens on a handful of missions.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 12-19-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #35
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Early on, enemy health displays don't matter very much. All of the aliens die in two (or fewer) hits, regardless of what you hit them with. The only time it causes problems is if you lose track of which aliens you wounded and which are still at full health, which only really happens if you lose sight of the enemy.

Later on it can get really stressful though. It's hard to gauge how close a Muton is to dying, so it's never clear whether you should focus one down or run for cover. It's also impossible to tell when a guaranteed grenade hit would be just enough to finish something off. And every new enemy type you encounter feels all the more mysterious and scary when you have no sense of how hard it will be to kill.

I like the "learning through experimentation" gameplay that this encourages though, and I like the added drama that the imprecision adds to the game.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #36
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

What? You don't have enough drama with 'regular' impossible ironman?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #37
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

ffs reached the terror mission and it's one of the most awful places to deal with Cryssalids... -.-
Lots of cover blocking sight, difficult to reach higher ground, few clear lines of sight, Cryssalids will have the best of times chewing on my squad too tired to take that on today...