About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Sports Talk

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

UEFA Euro 2012

Anyone watching?

I was kind of surprised to see Netherlands lose to Denmark. NED defiantly looked better on the field, but that is not what matters in the end. The unpredictability of soccer/ football is what makes it exciting.

I am backing Germany in the tournament. They're who I typically root for (after the US) in national team tournaments.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Yes I'm watching, in Europe there is little chance of not-watching the Euro right now

I was also surprised to see the Netherlands loose but seems like all the pressure build up by lofty expectations takes it's toll. In Dutch media there was a big build-up where there is not the hope but the expectation that the 'golden generation' wins the title this time. "Now or never" is a headline I read quite often.

My other surprise was Italy yesterday. They were a bit chaotic at the beginning, but then they actually stood up against Spain and got to a well deserved 1:1. Germany versus Portugal on the other hand was quite boring to watch, the most boring game yet. But that's how Germany used to play in tournaments: do the absolute minimum to win in the first round and then start getting better the closer they get to the final.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Ireland were terrible, as expected. It was a minor miracle for us to get there with that team, so we're not expecting much.

Just saw a bit of England and they have the same old problems, but expectations are low over there too. For as long as I can remember England have been madly hyped (within England) and this time it's very strange.

It will be interesting to see the hype kick back in if they qualify. I'd like to see them do well, but not win it. We pick up all the UK channels here so we'd spend the next 40 years hearing all about it if they won.

I thought Denmark looked like a neat, compact team, and obviously Russia look like the team to beat so far, even if they look a bit old and slow at times.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

So much for Holland...

That was not the same team which played in the last world cup finals against Spain. After the first half I was actually surprised it was 'only' 2:0, judging by how terrible the defense was. Second half was better but still a far cry from what they shown in the qualifier matches.

In other news: Ukraine versus Sweden was a great game! The Ukraine offered quite a surprise with their level of play and Sweden fought back until the last minute.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Wish I could see the games. They are on in the middle of the day in the US, so I can't watch them live.

I am really surprised by Holland too.

It looks like Ireland is getting their butt kicked by Spain right now. Sorry, Pedro. I know how you feel. I root for the US team .
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Thanks Abfackeln, but I'm ok with the whole thing. We don't get to the finals of these tournaments very often, and our team this time round isn't great. When we got to the 88 finals, 7 of the team played for the top three clubs in England. This time round, 7 of them aren't even playing in the top division in the league, so expectations are realistic.

Look at this image from the Ukraine v Fance game (delayed due to a storm):

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote