About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Guilt: Getting Rid of Games Everyone Loves

'I know this is a decent game and it got great reviews AND I never play it, it does nothing for me, why am I keeping it?'

Discuss, here.

Recently I got rid of Fallout 3 GOTY and Oblivion GOTY. Something about the style of both of them just left me cold. Too much to do, and none of it very involving. I barely clocked 30 hours on Oblivion, maybe twice that on Fallout3 (finished the main quest, got up to level 27).. I dunno. Tired of feeling guilty about it. They just don't do it for me.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: Guilt: Getting Rid of Games Everyone Loves

Why would you feel guilty of selling a game you don't like? If anything, I'd feel like I was doing someone who might appraciate by selling the games to them a favour.

I did recently get rid of almost my entire PS2 collection, as I need the space and no longer own a PS2. Got rid of such classics as Persona 3 and 4, Shadow Of The Collossus... selling some of those games hurt, I'm not going to lie.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Gog
New Poster

I do think it's weird you felt guilt for selling games you didn't even like.

I know I was very happy and relieved when I sold GTA4, Fallout 3, Gears of War and the like... Uninspired pieces of trash, sitting on my shelf, in all their pretentiousness, mocking me... Oh no, I felt no guilt at all... And it'll be the same when I get rid of MvC3.

Bayonetta, Blazblue-CT and Muramasa, on the other hand... even though I knew I wouldn't bother playing them anymore, I was sad for selling them.

I also came close of selling Sin and Punishment 2, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Some games I know I'll never sell: Okami, Persona 4, Digital Devil Saga, Deadly Premonition, Nier, No More Heroes, Killer7, etc.

Last edited by Gog; 03-09-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I meant guilt in the sense of missing something because I didn't finish a game, maybe it got better later on, etc.

I've sold FF XIII twice and dont plan on buying it again, for example. Really tried to finish it, but just could NOT get through it.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
JLB1987
Sex machine

I guess Deadly Premonition would fit under this thread, for me. Tried playing it for two hours last night, as I had a bit more time than I normally do on a Thursday, and... no. Just awful.

I'm only keeping it because, as far as I know, it was a fairly limited production run for the game. I don't, however, actually feel guilty for not liking Deadly Premonition; it's so bad, in my eyes, I think the developers should be the ones who feel guilty. If I had to describe an emotion, I'm a little angry; angry that so many people have almost nothing but praise for the game, which convinced me to buy it in the first place (although I guess most people who recommend it do also admit it perhaps isn't for everbody), and angry that many of the flaws wouldn't have been *that* difficult to improve.

Shame. I wish I knew how the story ends. Everything not to do with gameplay was wonderful.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Ah, that's a shame! For me, the game was carried by the story and above all the sense of humour. The zombie killing (and god, the QTEs) were something to struggle through on the way to the good stuff.

In fairness, I haven't seen any reviews or comments that didn't say buyer beware, that there's a good chance you'll hate it.

You should watch the story unfold on Youtube; it mightn't be the same, but it should still be worth it.

I gave away Mirror's Edge a.k.a. Plunge to Your Death 1000 Times (got to the third level) and LA Noire (uh, only got as far as the second Homicide case) this weekend. But I doubt many people love those games. Anyway, they really rubbed me the wrong way, but I do feel a little guilty as they do have strong advocates in some areas.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
JLB1987
Sex machine

I was thinking of doing that, watching it unfold on youtube, but it's nice to have the option to go back to it one day. Probably try again in a couple of years, and remember to keep my expectations low this time (I was genuinely expecting greatness!)
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I haven't played Fallout 3 much beyond the first settlement with the bomb (what was the name? nuketown?) and wasn't feeling I'm getting much out of it, thus I stopped and got rid of it. There are tons of people who love that game to bits and it's better received than free sandwiches in a room full of students, but that doesn't make me enjoy the game.

I never felt guilty for not completing a game or giving it away. After all there are tons of games out there and I'm not afraid that I'd miss a life-changing moment in any video game.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Pedro
64-bit Poster

@JLB: I thought it did achieve greatness, not necessarily in a game sense though!

@Li-ion: I loved Fallout 3. True, the starting 2 hours in the Vault were less than gripping (outright terrible, I thought), but I guess if you weren't feeling the love when you got to Megaton then it wasn't for you (though if you still have it head on over to the High School and see if clearing it out grips you).

Richard wrote a nice article on Megaton here.

Funny thing is, F3 is the last RPG I really enjoyed. I've gone off them somehow.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I did a big clear out of games at the weekend, getting rid of some old favourites that I knew I wasn't going to play again. But I also kept some - Okami and Metroid 3 for the Wii (though I may never turn it on again), Deadly Premonition for the Xbox (though they forced me to keep Alone in the Dark by only offering 1c for it), and Dark Souls for the ps3 even though I've platinumed it.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
JLB1987
Sex machine

Decided to put Dark Souls on eBay... It's not that I don't love it, I just don't have the time that needs to be put into it. Bit sad- one of the very few games I've bought on release.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yeah, it really is a game which needs you to have several hours free in your schedule, regularly.

I managed to give away my 360 (and the copy of Alone in the Dark which Gamestop offered me 1c for) yesterday, and that person may potentially be hoodwinked into taking my Wii. Hurrah!