About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #91
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Dark Souls 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I can't remember Penetrator, I think I did him on first try.
He's the guy with the big sword that goes through shields at the top of Boletarian Palace (1-3). The most annoying thing is that running up there past all the guards (about 10 guards with big sweeping halberds and 3 red eyed knights on the steps) is at best a 50/50 proposition so you have to spend 10 mins killing them every time.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #92
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Yes, I'm still aware who the Penetrator is but I simply can't remember the fight other than the awful way of getting there through the tons of red eyed knights and how he stabbed the fat minister (which scored him some bonus points with me actually). Other than that he was just another dude in armor. Didn't have the same impact the Tower Knight had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Great analysis, very interesting!
Thanks, I also did a nowadays rare thing for myself and put a 3rd opinion review over here.

Quote:
Brad is a dangerous lunatic.
Just because he has some deep hatred for Beyond 2 Souls?

Quote:
Yes, that was very jarring, taking an elevator out of the top of the windmill and appearing there.
There were some other issues which didn't quite gel together. I think No Man's Wharf must be under the sea considering how you get there from already flooded Heide Towers and the transition to Dragon's Aerie was also a bit weird.

Other than that I think it was alright, I would like to see all the worlds connected in 3D at some point to see how they could physically fit together.

Quote:
I'm not really complaining, but the bosses were just a matter of choosing the correct shield a lot of the time (for a STR END guy).
I didn't even do that, once I had a 100% physical block shield I was settled and as soon as I had the greatshield I was just hiding behind that all the time.

Quote:
I liked Vengarl though. Now I have forgotten what I was going to say...
One day you will talk about Dark Souls 2, not really knowing why...

And Vengarl was funny, at first I didn't see him and thought I talk to the statue

I get what they tried to do with Lucatiel, but since everyone was going on and on how they forget everything it lost impact. How can a game with so little dialogue waste so much of it? Most conversations were either "you know, this land had a different name once *wink wink nudge nudge*" or "I can't remember..."
Old 05-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #93
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

OMG OMG OMG:
http://www.gamechup.com/from-softwar...nshots-rumour/

Demon's Souls 2? Beast Souls? Next Gen Souls? Whatever, WANT!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
He's the guy with the big sword that goes through shields at the top of Boletarian Palace (1-3). The most annoying thing is that running up there past all the guards (about 10 guards with big sweeping halberds and 3 red eyed knights on the steps) is at best a 50/50 proposition so you have to spend 10 mins killing them every time.
I came, I saw, I conquered. Loaded with about 600 arrows I went to rid the world of the red dragon, freed Yuria and Bjorr, placed myself on a nice sniper spot and rained arrows down on the bunch that blocks the way to the Penetrator. White Bow & more arrows than sense is probably the easiest way imaginable to clear that area. Going through the fog gate my buddy Bjorr and I absolutely ROFLSTOMPED the "Penetrator". He didn't hit me a single time and barely scratched Bjorr.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 05-02-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: prevent too many postings in a row
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #94
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I somehow let Biorr die the first time...the boss is not hugely easy without him
Old 05-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #95
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Just because he has some deep hatred for Beyond 2 Souls?
Not at all I can accept that very few people liked this game, but Mike's review (he's the one I'm most in tune with I think) put the nail in the coffin for me. I just have to accept it is not a good game (though I disagree with that).

Quote:
There were some other issues which didn't quite gel together. I think No Man's Wharf must be under the sea considering how you get there from already flooded Heide Towers and the transition to Dragon's Aerie was also a bit weird.
Yeah, you didn't see those Aerie pillars from anywhere else in the world. I would give the Wharf the benefit of the doubt though it looked to me like it was well under water too.

Quote:
I didn't even do that, once I had a 100% physical block shield I was settled and as soon as I had the greatshield I was just hiding behind that all the time.
I used a magic shield against the Scorpioness and the lady in the windmill. Fire against Smelter and and Iron King, and normal 100% against the Sinner. I enjoyed the Scorpioness fight the most I think, she was one of the better bosses.

Quote:
Demon's Souls 2? Beast Souls? Next Gen Souls? Whatever, WANT!
Oho! So this may be what they are working on? It certainly has a certain muddiness about it reminescent of Demon's Souls, it could be real.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #96
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Ok, here:
http://youtu.be/SrgaZchJQVg?t=11m5s

they looked at the worlds of Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 in the map viewer, while we all know how nicely DaS1's map fits together, Dark Souls 2 is just a mess with all the areas being roughly on the same level and some of the areas actually overlapping. I am not surprised by this, since I have quite a good sense of direction and where I am in a 3D environment and I was at times utterly confused by where I am or where I supposed to be in Dark Souls 2.

@Project Beast: doesn't that remind you on certain items in a previous game? Like... the Talisman of Beasts or... the Beast's Demon's Soul?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #97
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Wow, a lot to catch up on in here today!

I think I mostly agree with those video guys. They do make some vague claims at times but really they are correct - the mechanics, the world building, and the reuse mar the game a little bit. But it's still a very good game. I can get behind that.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #98
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Li-Ion did you find any decent discussions about the story/lore? I went searching and there is a surprisingly large amount of gibberish out there to wade through.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #99
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I spent some more time playing Demon's Souls. Now just exploring some more areas I haven't really paid much attention to before. For example I never went to old King Doran before and it's the first time I pick up Demonbrandt. Also started a SL1 run, let's see if I ever get past Maneater and/or Flamelurker

Regarding Dark Souls 2: No, I haven't found any decent discussion of the plot/lore online. I would claim it's because there isn't much addition to the lore in Dark Souls 2 and some things simply don't make all that much sense (why certain bosses drop 2 Souls in NG+ for example etc.) and I also don't like some of the new lore interpretations regarding the lords souls. And nobody explained what happened to the primordial serpents. I am still looking for good interpretations but currently I'm short of filing the lore additions in Dark Souls 2 as fan fiction.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #100
Pedro
64-bit Poster

This critique was linked on RPS today; I've only watched the first 15 mins so far but he talks a lot of sense I think.

Was out with my brother for a few pints last night, he is still making his way through the game with a few hours playtime per week and still enjoying it immensely. Funny thing, he managed to open the door to Castle Drangleic with only two Giant Souls (Iron King and Lost Sinner). Strange.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:22 AM   #101
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

You need either all 4 lord's souls or 1.000.000 soul memory. Both ways will open the gates.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #102
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Will you be getting the DLC? I'm not sure; I thought I was done with it but I felt a slight urge to go back today when thinking about it.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #103
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I'll probably wait for a while what people on the internet think about the DLC. I've spent enough money on two versions of Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 each. Unless they show something truly amazing I might just wait for a steam sale to get the DLC.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #104
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I don't think I'll get it either. My brother is still playing through it (at the Shrine of Amana) and it's reminding me what a slog it was.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #105
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I am looking forward to Bloodborne, but I don't think that I want/need another Dark Souls anytime soon. I can still play the original Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls, no need for re-mixed versions of these great games. I remember how excited I was about the Artorias of the Abyss DLC. I feel nothing towards the DLC-trilogy coming up for the second part. I don't even know when it was supposed to come out?

Bloodborne looks different enough again. Not sure if I made that comment here already, but while Demon's/Dark Souls appeared to me like a Zelda for adults, Bloodborne could be the Castlevania for adults. After that From Software just need to come along with their own spin on Metroid and I'm a happy puppy