About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #76
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Dark Souls 2

After you killed the "final Boss" you are not automatically dumped to NG+ like in the predecessor, instead you can choose when you want to go to NG+ at any bonfire you rest. Will be one new option in the list, just don't click on it instead of going to your item box

The 'flood of enemies' school of design is something they hinted at in previews, where they said DaS2 should be as big as the first one but 'more dense'. Well, looks like that's what we got. I really hope that the Hidetaka Miyazaki is working on a Demon's Souls 2 which is a step forward again, rather than sidestepping and gradual changes towards Monster Hunter like Dark Souls 2 is.

I like Dark Souls 2 and I think they made some good choices here and there, but it has not the same impact as the first Dark Souls had and is for sure not as earth-shattering as Demon's Souls. I want FromSoft to go on to a new series, how about Dragon's Souls?

I'm not disappointed by the sequel, but can't help to feel a bit underwhelmed by the story and characters. There is not a single NPC in the new game which I like as much as e.g. Solaire or Siegmayer. Even Tarkus, who you never actually speak to in the game.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #77
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Ah, thanks for that!

Now if I could just find the final boss....I may have to go and do the Giant Trees bit first maybe.

Yes, don't get me wrong, it is a very good game and is a stunning achievement. Some people will have this issue, some won't. Kristen in her review dismissed it with a swing of one of those massive swords. It doesn't work for me though.

The environmental artists' work in this game is phenomenal - the levels are fantastically realised. I was going back to the Shrine entrance earlier and found myself admiring the plaster on the walls as I ran past. Similarly the world itself is pretty neat, being bigger and full of fine locations (and the geography mostly stacking up).

There is no moment of revelation like getting the elevator back down to Firelink Shrine from the belltower though - I guess there doesn't need to be.

I like Gilligan, mostly because of the accent. He's a bit brusque with me though, for someone who saved his life :P None of them are very likeable, it is true. I have also killed three NPCs up to this point (don't lurk suspiciously in rooms full of monsters, you guys!) but I don't think they were very sympathetic anyway.

A new game from Miyazaki would be something else. I'm happy enough with DS2 as well, it just has too many irritants to really reach the heights of the previous two.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #78
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The problem with a 'wow' moment like the elevator from firelink shrine to belltower or seeing Lost Izalith from the Tomb of Giants is: you can't repeat it forever. Dark Souls 1 did this really well, but if they would have repeated it in Dark Souls 2 it would have gotten a bit much. That said, I still like the fact that you can stand in Majula at the beginning of the game and pretty much see all the places your journey will get you to.

I also found myself stopping at numerous occasions, just to admire the world around me. From Software really has some talented people, I can't wait to see more of their work.

@Geography: yes, it mostly makes sense. Except for the Iron Keep. That place makes no sense. Not in terms of geography, architecture or bosses. Why would the Old Iron King turn into Diablo?

@new game: I reckon there will be some DLC before we see a new game. Given the sales have been as strong as they expected, we should see an expansion similar to Artorias of the Abyss in about a year or so. But first: the PC version! I already have an idea what to try for my PC build: Faith/Dex with dual lightning rapiers!

Just saw there is a second opinion on the site now, didn't have the chance to read it yet.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #79
Pedro
64-bit Poster

So....112 hours played, 573 deaths, level 150

I am a victim of my need to clear the enemies from the front of a fog gate.

VGR 14
END 31 (20 for most of the game, increased late game after hitting level 100)
VIT 14
ATN 16 (3 slots in late game. Rings before)
STR 38
DEX 38
ADP 4
INT 23 (late game)
FTH 24 (late game increase from 15 to remove need for ring)

3.3m souls collected by the looks of things.

Very enjoyable game, lots of cheap shots (the latest being Navlaan appearing at the bonfire while exiting the penultimate level with 86,000 souls. He got his though ) and I don't agree with the 'denser' game (surprise, the enemies respawn infinitely on that penultimate, unbelievably annoying level - From have certainly perfected 'the dick move' in this game), but nonetheless a pretty impressive achievement. I also stopped a lot and scanned the world with the binoculars.

I didn't progress to NG+ as there are some bosses to mop up. Have travelled around tying up some loose ends (unpetrifying stuff, talking to Mr Scorpion etc), but I can't see myself playing through again. However on the remote chance that I go for the Platinum, I don't want to have to play through an extra time just to kill the Pursuer because I didn't deal with him this time through. So we'll see after a suitable rest period.

Last edited by Pedro; 04-14-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #80
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Praise the Sun! \o/

I'm now SL160ish and almost done with NG+... either you are overlevelled or I am underlevelled

Even if you don't want to play through it all again, I would recommend to do at least the beginning of NG+ (Things Betwixt & Forest of Giants) just to see how they mixed things up.

What weapons were you focusing on?

I've now gotten the Chaos Blade and am searching for upgrade mats, let's see if I like it as much as in the first Dark Souls. Also found out that the Sunlight Sword has the same moveset as the longsword of DaS1. If I'd have known that earlier!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #81
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I guess I was over levelled but I was putting it all into magic and useless stuff like that after 100.

That said, I did the final fight entirely with miracles and spells - lightning spear and heavy soul arrow.

For the early game it was the fire Longsword mostly; mid game switched to the magic mace; late game it was the lightning Varangian sword +10 (175 dmg, 175 lgt dmg). I also had a raw Varangian sword +10 that did 287 damage I think.

I had a falchion +6 that I should have been using for the dex bonus but didn't like the move set. I used the blue flame +4 but it wasn't satisfying; the special weapon I used most was the Warped Sword +5 but again not really satisfying.

I discovered a black knight halberd with fire damage at the very end there. Ascended it to plus two and took it up to the Copse. A 'light' two handed attack does 543 damage to those fat guys with the sickles

Satisfying.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #82
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Yes, the BKH is a beast, not quite as overwhelmingly good as in the first game but still pretty good.

I'm just considering playing a dex-char with bow as main weapon. Perhaps with the PC version. I'm happy that I'm almost 2 times through since I didn't find much time to play anymore lately and won't get much better next month
Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #83
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I was on Steam last night and saw the 'Last chance to preorder DS2' and wondered if you were going to get it on PC.

I am enjoying the break from it; I haven't really been playing anything else though.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #84
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I'm in the post-Dark Souls depression when it comes to games. Not sure what to play next, if anything. Waiting for Dark Souls 3? Or do I look forward to blatant Demon's/Dark Souls clones?

Or should I play something entirely different? My backlog would be long enough, but I fear that anything vaguely fantasy-related would suffer from comparison.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #85
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I know how you feel, even though I was glad the game ended, it leaves a void (especially after more than 100 hours play).

I even fired up Kane & Lynch the other night (seeing as it was universally slated it could actually be interesting, and I believe Crackajack had some interesting things to say about it before). However it is extremely easy to bounce off. Clunky to say the least.

Have been intermittently following Lords of the Fallen; looks interesting enough. I am all for souls-a-likes.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #86
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I almost vomited while playing the demo of kane & lynch 2, since the graphical nonsense made me that motion sick and without the graphical nonsense it looks extremely bland.

I went back to Dark Souls 1 yesterday, continued my SL1 run. Almost beat 4 Kings. Perhaps I'll manage them this weekend, have them about halfway now...
Old 04-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #87
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Hmmm. I also have Kane & Lynch 2 in my queue...thought it might work as a co-op game

I went back and had another go at Penetrator in Demons. No joy at all, ach!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #88
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I can't remember Penetrator, I think I did him on first try.

I'm all up for co-op but not in a game that invokes motion sickness
Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #89
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Went back to Demon's Souls and started a new character rather than dying at Flamelurker on NG+. What a difference to Dark Souls 2! How can the same studio that crafted Boletaria 1-1 come up with Things Betwixt and think that's a good Tutorial?

Started a hunter lady named Evlana, not coincidentally one of the gods on the name engraved ring in Dark Souls 2. Evlana, Goddess of Hunt was a human who was so good people started considering her a goddess. Hence I play the prequel now Finished 1-1, 2-1 and 4-1 and just got the White Bow. Also got the attributes to use it. That character is pretty much complete now hehe.

And it's just such a jarring difference when it comes to level design. I can't understand Brad when he says DaS2 reminds him on Demon's Souls. It's nothing like Demon's Souls! Demon's Souls is so much better in terms of level and boss design. Dark Souls is so much better than Dark Souls 2 in terms of level design.

Just compare:
Boletaria Palace - Undead Burg/Anor Londo - Forest of Fallen Giants/Drangleic Castle
Tower of Latria - Duke's Archives - Aldia's Keep
Valley of Defilement - Blighttown - The Gutter

Really no chance for Dark Souls 2 here. The best area is Lost Bastille but Drangleic Castle is pretty much just a corridor that goes on and on. Aldia's Keep is even worse, the Gutter is just a less dangerous Blighttown. Worst offender is Iron Keep, which doesn't even make sense in terms of geography. Going from earthen peak (where you can see no giant volcano nearby) you go about 20 stories UP and are suddenly at the Iron Keep which is completely surrounded by lava? How could you not see that giant volcano from earthen peak? And who would build a castle like the Iron Keep? It doesn't make any sense in terms of architecture. Unlike Boletaria Palace, Undead Burg or Anor Londo it doesn't look like a place where anywhere would live. It just looks like a videogame level. A generic one. With generic fire themed bosses.

What I always liked about the Souls games was the sense that there is a world to explore that is coherent and just makes sense. That NPC would come and go and do their own thing helped with that. In Dark Souls 2 most NPC just show up at Majula, or not, and never leave. Pate and whatshisface have some issues that needs sorting out with violence and Lucy is afraid of the curse but that's about it.

The world in Dark Souls 2 is just less interesting than before. I get the feeling the designers were too afraid to change too much in terms of lore, that little plot there is feels almost like fanfiction.

Do you know what the Story is? Really know what all that was about? I was told in the intro I'll be standing in Drangleic not really knowing why. Well, they got that right. I finished the game almost 2 times now and I still have no clue where the story is hidden or what's the point of it all. Nashandra is evil because she is Manus who is humanity gone wild (the latter was established in the first game's DLC). You kill the king to become monarch which enables you to sit on the throne of want, but all you wanted was to break the curse, or not, that was your only option. All you have to do is to kill monsters, gather souls, more powerful souls, all of that just for being able to kill bigger monsters with even more powerful souls.

The good thing in Demon's and Dark Souls was that you could just ignore the story, but there is something going on if you want to invest in the world around you. And in the end you have a choice if you want the world to end or if you want to maintain the status quo. Dark Souls 2 forces you to continue the cycle. Dark Souls 2 justifies Dark Souls 3, and 4, and Dark Souls Hunter Tri Ultra.

In Dark Souls 2 you just trod along, get pushed from one boss to the next. Along a corridor that occasionally branches, so that you can choose which boss to kill first. Then you meet the dragon from the first game, because of reasons. And he gives you stuff and you enter dreams (like a dream will never be the new praise the sun). And then you can kill the king, if you want, but you don't have to. And you can kill Nashandra who is like Manus, just shit because Manus was a challenging bossfight that was infuriating and fun, while Nashandra just left me confused if that was it already after my very first attempt.

*sigh*
Old 05-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #90
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Great analysis, very interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
And it's just such a jarring difference when it comes to level design. I can't understand Brad when he says DaS2 reminds him on Demon's Souls. It's nothing like Demon's Souls!
Brad is a dangerous lunatic.
He does march to the beat of a different drummer when it comes to games, I feel. There is very little crossover between his tastes and mine - maybe 1 game a year - but he is always interesting to listen to. Dead wrong most of the time but still...

Quote:
Demon's Souls is so much better in terms of level and boss design. Dark Souls is so much better than Dark Souls 2 in terms of level design.

Just compare:
Boletaria Palace - Undead Burg/Anor Londo - Forest of Fallen Giants/Drangleic Castle
Tower of Latria - Duke's Archives - Aldia's Keep
Valley of Defilement - Blighttown - The Gutter
Agreed. The first two games were on a different plane to the third.

Quote:
Worst offender is Iron Keep, which doesn't even make sense in terms of geography. Going from earthen peak (where you can see no giant volcano nearby) you go about 20 stories UP and are suddenly at the Iron Keep which is completely surrounded by lava? How could you not see that giant volcano from earthen peak?
Yes, that was very jarring, taking an elevator out of the top of the windmill and appearing there. That was the only 'geography' issue I had though, and I thought they did a fine job with the world and connecting the areas otherwise. I liked that they tied it all together with being able to visit the map room and the map they issued with the collector's edition was pretty neat.

Quote:
Do you know what the Story is? Really know what all that was about?
No. No clue.

Quote:
All you have to do is to kill monsters, gather souls, more powerful souls, all of that just for being able to kill bigger monsters with even more powerful souls.

Quote:
In Dark Souls 2 you just trod along, get pushed from one boss to the next. Along a corridor that occasionally branches, so that you can choose which boss to kill first.
Yes, definitely a bit of a letdown in that department. I enjoyed the exploration aspect of it, and having some area for later investigation at all times. I'm not really complaining, but the bosses were just a matter of choosing the correct shield a lot of the time (for a STR END guy). It would have helped to have a couple of Solaire/Onion Knight characters - I definitely feel that even though a lot of the characters were quite verbose, they didn't have much of interest to say. I liked Vengarl though. Now I have forgotten what I was going to say...