About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #61
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Dark Souls 2

Ok, more info: SL on completion ~140
Quality Build, Str 40, Dex 35, Vitality 30 allowed to use a large number of different weapons very effectively. Rediscovered some old favourites (even though I don't like what they did with the longsword strong attack) and found some new flames (Archdrake Mace is my new Lucerne, Faith Build incoming ). Endurance was relatively low for my standard, only just a little over 20, while Vigor was only little above base level. I found as long as I can hide behind a shield or dodge the attack I don't need hitpoints Worked most of the times, except... for those stupid bosses that cause your health to automatically go down if you're getting to close. Therefore I had more issues with Smelter than I should have, due to the fact that I was running out of hitpoints and didn't find the time to jug an estus.

Attunement I only had at 10 for 1 slot, used it mostly for (greater) magic weapon to get some extra damage when it get's tight or for the cleansing miracle to heal poison. Int and Faith therefore at the bare minimum to use these spells with appropriate gear giving a stat bonus.

The new stat adaptability I have at 18 or so. I noticed a big difference in the efficiency of my dodge rolls one I went above 15 or so. The first boss with base adaptability I had big problems dodging anything. With 15+ I was dancing around the blades like in good old times. I think if you go for any kind of dex build or a build that requires to dodge to any degree, get adaptability to 15 at least.

I always tried to balance my equipment load so that I stay at 70% or less for mid roll. That enabled to wear quite beefy armor (especially when upgraded) and excellent shield (Tower Shield +10 at the end) and number of weapons in the right hand (Black Knight Halberd +5, Longsword +10, Magic Mace +10 and a backup Poison Uchigatana +10, but I think poison on melee is more useful in NG++ and PvP than in the regular game. That doesn't cover poison arrows, which are the probably best weapon ever (used it with the Dragonrider Bow for Str-Scaling which was for quite some time a bit better for me than other bows with Dex-scaling).

NG+

Started it and woah, there are some serious changes right away. Don't expect to just run through the second time, since there are a number of new enemies, including completely new enemy types, and the forest of giants is already black phantom central. Don't even want to know how Drangleic Castle will look like... I need more poison arrows...

Story:
I'm a bit confused now by something that happened straight at the start of NG+, considering our recent pondering where in the world Drangleic might be.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #62
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I've had visitors for the last 4 days so haven't been able to get on the Playstation since Thursday. Need to get back to the Souls tonight.

Good wrapup re: levels etc. I am a very similar build, low hitpoints etc. Haven't felt the need to upgrade Vit or Endurance since the start. I have only 4 in Adaptability, but I'm not avoiding much anyway. I put 15 into Miracles and 10 into Sorcery, and used the rings to boost those another 5 each. I'm pretty much rolling full time with Lightning Spear, which is like an Easy Button. Was also good to use on the Iron King.

I struggled a bit with Smelter too, with his area of effect damage. I have only upgraded the Magic Mace (what a weapon) to +10 so far.

Down the hole at the moment, need to get back tonight. Intriguing about the ending/beginning of NG+.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #63
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Have you tried any of the new dual wielding mechanics? I tried a bit but failed miserably, especially with groups of enemies and archers in the background (a situation you face A LOT in DaS2, much more than in the first game) I got killed a lot faster than I could say "let's try powerstance".

Dark Souls is vaguely realistic in it's depiction of swordplay (at least more realistic than 99% of fantasy RPG), and playing Dark Souls one quickly realizes how useful it is to have a big chunk of metal and wood to hide behind when arrows are raining at you and people try to stab you. I guess that's why we never see images of ancient battles with dual-wielding armies but rather armies having spear/sword & shield and ranged weapons like bows, crossbows and javelins.

Talking of shields: unlike the first game I'm actually mainly hiding behind my shield these days (hence the Tower Shield) and not parrying anymore. I occasionally shieldbash enemies to push them off ledges (har har) but I'm not sure if it's just me but I still fail miserably at getting even the most basic parry timing right.

@Magic Mace: I agree, holy cow what a weapon when connecting with a direct hit this thing is a monster and I managed to just constantly pummel enemies with low poise, leaving them no chance to fight back until they died or I retreated to get my stamina back.

In between my NG+ I'll do some new game, not sure yet if dex-sorcerer or some sort of faith build. I reckon a typical faith-build would be a bit too similar to the quality build except for miracles?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #64
Pedro
64-bit Poster

No - I was looking at it from a stamina perspective only - swing two swords twice each, or one sword 4 times; I didn't really see the point.

Yeah, the Mount and Blade forums had a very active thread where newbies would go, "Wouldn't it be cool to have dual-wielding?!?!?" and all the superior history buffs would tell them at great length why it was impractical and never used in history etc. That thread is still going, no doubt.

Some of the boss battles (Sinner, Smelter) are probably un-doable (for me) without a big shield so will be interesting to see how you work those with a new build. Not sure that there are enough offensive miracles (they all seem to be health replenishment ones) to make a Faith build fun, so maybe Sorcery? I guess there is a 100% Royal Kite Shield (I think) but isn't accessible till late game.

Sorcery looks painful though. Rolling around like a fool?

I got through The Gutter last night and then had to deal with the start of Black Gulch. Not really what I was looking for on my first day back - spitting statues and those anemone things. If I run through I get poisoned and am followed by 5 of those dudes, if I make my way carefully through, I use loads of items/estus. Annoying.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #65
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Look out for hidden bonfires

There are two regular shields with 100% phys block available fairly early on, after Pursuer and once you bring McDuff the ember. Getting Greatshield-Strength just for one or two bosses would seem a bit excessive.

And I did notice I did serious damage to smelter with the magic mace, I guess he's (like the fire-based beasts in the first game) not a big fan of magic (and vice versa, you can usually nicely burn magic users). Hence I am not that worried about smelter with an int-build, after all I could circle around at safe distance and pew-pew him to death

Anyway... I'm still busy with my NG+ where I got back to the Lost Bastille and No Man's Wharf respectively. I'm not sure if co-op is across difficulties or not? Most of the phantoms I summoned yesterday did not that much damage and got themselves killed quite quickly in general. Except for one occasion I ended up alone in front of the boss gates, despite summoning 2 phantoms each. Weird. That last guy was sadly slain at the very last stretch of the Ruin Sentinels, because that stupid sentinel completely ignored me punching him and did one divebomb after the other on the sunbro instead -> no sunlight medal

In other news: the official GC verdict on Dark Souls 2 - http://www.gamecritics.com/kristin-r...souls-2-review
Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #66
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I found the bonfire just inside the entrance but I'm getting frustrated by the journey to The Rotten. Gah.

That would be weird if they were making low level guys available for summoning, ha ha. Something must be up with the user base, judging by the bloodstains they seem phenomenally stupid. I almost think there must be a covenant for launching yourself off a ledge at full speed, nothing else explains it.

Seems like a fair review from Kristin, I will have to gather my thoughts and comment.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #67
Pedro
64-bit Poster

In the Castle now. It's a real funhouse. Had to look up how to get in to the damn thing. Met the dude in the bath chair again, and two old friends. They don't seem too difficult but getting up there is a pain - poison room, staircase with archer, three tough dudes
Old 04-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #68
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

People were asking for the equivalent of Anor Londo's archers in Dark Souls 2, I think that gauntlet starting with the poison room fit's the bill.

@Entrance: I think I spent more than half an hour running in circles around the stupid castle entrance until I figured what I had to do to open it.

I'm still not sure what's the deal with the chairdude, he always only tells me we will meet somewhere else, again. Well, I'm in NG+ now, I figure he still tells me the same
Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #69
Pedro
64-bit Poster

The Rayleigh Bath Chair Murder

Ahhhh, yeah. When I talked about there being no cheapness in Dark Souls earlier I completely forgot about the Anor Londo archers!

I eventually ran up (two laps of that room with the three guys in it to draw the one fella away from the door) and summoned my first real person for DragonRider & Co. Got a sunlight medal, sweet.

Then summoned the first NPC I have seen who is anyway useful - Benno of Somewhere - after trying the Shield guy a lot of times on my own. Benno was hard as nails, made that fight very easy. Only one little lad popped out of the shield (I finished him off when minion#2 was being summoned).

There were several 'Dark' summon signs outside the door - I guess they were Mr Bathchair's covenant but none the wiser as to whether they would help me or attack me if I summoned them.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #70
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

NPC summons vary quite a bit in their usefuleness, as usual. There is Jester Thomas, who like Black Iron Tarkus can beat up the corresponding boss all by himself. Or incinerate the boss, since Thomas is using pyromancies. Then there are Pigrim Bellclaire and Masterless Glencour, who help a little in their fights. And then you have the one's like Lucatiel, who get themselves killed most cases and sometimes just stand in the way.

I've been playing a bit Demon's Souls yesterday, to see if it was really as hard as I remember it. Well, Flamelurker definitely still is. Other than that it's just a more "clumsy" game than Dark Souls 1 and 2, but not more difficult.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #71
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Demon's is the best

There are really only three really hard bosses in the game - Flamelurker, Maneater and the False King, I think.* Of course all the others vary in difficulty according to your build, but I can't think of anyone really hard apart from those three.

Similarly, the 'horrible' levels such as 5.2 and 3.1 really go up in your estimation as pure genius the more you play them.

Q: in DSII, how did you deal with the Iron King and the big frog with no magic/ranged stuff going on? I'd imagine they would be quite difficult as melee-only.

The Embedded eh? Horrible.

* That said, I am currently stuck on Penetrator.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #72
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I love Demon's Souls, but there are a couple of things I would like to see if there would be a remastered, or let's say Demon's Souls 2:
* bring in poise, in Demon's Souls heavy armor has little to no value
* make jumping a mechanic and consistent, I managed to jump over a ledge in a specific ledge-jumping-zone but other ledges that look very similar can't be jumped over because they are not in a designated ledge-jumping-zone
* throw grass out of the window, Estus was probably one of the best changes from DeS to DaS
* make item burden a bit more generous, it's heart-breaking to have to leave something behind because you forgot to empty your backpack. Especially annoying when playing as a class that starts with really heavy armor, like templar or knight
* many more

Anyway, in Dark Souls 2 news I learned the hard way that co-op partners who don't know what they are doing are more deadly than many enemies. For example I learned that co-op Shades can trigger the traps in the Iron Keep. A helpful spirit sent me into a fiery death because he ran over the switch while I was on the corresponding platform. And then he has the tenacity to call me stupid. Also, the ballistae at the Pursuer can hurt other players. And by hurt I mean probably one-hit-kill by the time you're there the first time. I just played a new character that I planned to go on as Faith build, and calling on two helpful strangers we already killed the Pursuer when one bolt of the ballista hit me instead of the dying Pursuer, killing me instantly. Great. Another attempt as shade, the host takes the opportunity of me fighting with the Pursuer to load the Ballista and... kill me -_- I thought I give it one more shot, use human effigy, get one player for help... and he goes on and kills me with the first Ballista shot. I think this character is cursed, I will not continue with this Faith-based nonsense.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #73
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Q: in DSII, how did you deal with the Iron King and the big frog with no magic/ranged stuff going on? I'd imagine they would be quite difficult as melee-only.
In my rage yesterday I forgot to answer

The Iron King melee is actually pretty easy once you have the timing for the dodges down (he says, after dying 7 times in a row at the IK on NG+ just yesterday before finally beating him). I just two-hand the magic mace, ran in with essentially no armor or shield (if he hit's me in NG+ it's over anyway) and played the old "dodge the combo and then attack until he starts moving again"-game. Only problem is not moving to early, so that a dodge roll gets you into trouble rather than out of it.

The Demon of Song I managed in my first try back then, I found she/it telegraphed her/its attacks pretty clearly when I was in front. My black knight halberd cut her/it into neat little pieces. I'm not even sure if the DoS even hit me once...

...but let's wait for the NG+ iteration, I already had a couple of "wtf?" moments with bosses in NG+ I found super easy in the first run.

Also, I'm still carrying the Dragonrider Bow with me, it's not like I'm completely incapable of doing damage at a distance
Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #74
Pedro
64-bit Poster

In the Undead Crypt now, just outside the fog gate. Really feel as if the game is wearing me down now, what an asshole area.

Don't really understand the 'flood the area with enemies' design choice. Sure, you could make a case that it freshens things up by providing more puzzle/strategy elements. But mostly it is just tedious.

I think your experience with the Pursuer is just the usual internet folk having fun. I heard one guy say that he killed the Pursuer with the help of a fellow on the ballista, then as he was heaving a sigh of relief, the same guy reloaded and shot him. Funny the first time it happens, I'm sure
Old 04-13-2014, 04:25 AM   #75
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm in the Dragon Shrine now and another zillion enemies between me and the fog gate, including 5 or 6 just outside the fog.

When I kill the final boss do I get a chance to go back and clean up areas I missed, or am I deposited straight into NG+? I know I missed both Rat bosses so far, for example, and there may be loot I should pick up.

I probably won't bother with them though. Hate to say it but the game is wearing a bit thin. Is it too big?