About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 03-24-2015, 04:58 AM   #1
Pedro
128-bit Poster

The Bloodborne Thread

Though it won't be out in Europe till Friday, record your impressions, thoughts, comments etc here.

I've maintained a media blackout till this morning, when I peeped at the Eurogamer ("Is Bloodborne the best game ever, or just the second best?" ) preview.

Looking forward to the game on Friday, hopefully the c. 30GB download doesn't choke Sony's servers.

Anyone else getting it? Anyone buying a console to play it?
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Re: The Bloodborne Thread

I'll be picking Bloodborne in a few hours. I am staying away from reading reviews, but the scores have been great. 9.7, 9.6, etc.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Anyone buying a console to play it?
Guilty as charged.

But, not before the end of April.

Too many deadlines and traveling for work right now as soon as I'm back from across the world and not working from 7 to 9 I'll take the plunge.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
crackajack
64-bit Poster

my thoughts on the game, besides the framerate problems - again! WTF? - and poor loading times, which would annoy me greatly:

Everytime i see anything of it, i want to break my promise not to buy it or anything by From (and get immediately a PS4 for it). (Show off your Bloodborne Hunter).

Everytime someone from From opens his mouth about how hard it is (it is so superhard, we can't beat it ourselves) or anything in that direction - excluding any design principles that might make it appealing to mainstream/laid back gaming - i want to punch someone in the face and continue to ignore it as much as i can. (and shitpost in as many From Software threads i stumble upon... but damn, the attitude of the dev and its fans that force/allow it, really aggravates me)

Last edited by crackajack; 03-25-2015 at 10:58 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Pedro
128-bit Poster

There's definitely a lot of Souls-fatigue around; we all now know what happens when a podcast host becomes enamoured of the games

I'm can live with it because I don't follow gaming news so much any more, so I haven't been exposed to all the hype really. Apart from my brother texting me the download progress on his PS4.

The media has definitely created a monster though, and I can see how it would be aggravating.

So, Abfackeln, how is it? Dead hard, I hear

Li-ion, it's a pity it's a console exclusive, because there really aren't enough quality games to justify a PS4 yet. The games I do have, you can see the increase in processing power (in regard to environments etc, I really don't know anything about framerates), but apart from a few titles here and there, the jump to next gen has been underwhelming.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I don't want to say too much yet, because I want the others to get to play it first. There are noticeable changes from Souls, but it still is very much a Souls game.

Quick tips that I don't think spoil anything:

1. You level up from a doll in the hub. You'll see her right away in the hub, but she won't react to you until you face a boss. You don't have to beat the boss you just have to encounter one. I lost 6000 "blood echoes" (this games version of souls).

2. The other tip is when you die your blood echoes may remain as a blood pool on the ground, or they may get picked up by an enemy in the surrounding area. You'll know what enemy by their glowing eyes. It may not be the enemy that killed you.

I am still figuring things out. I am going to look back at the manual online to see if I am missing anything.

I have been mainly grinding. Probably spending more time than I need to. Today I spent about 2 hour trying to beat the same boss (the second one). I'll fight him a few time, grind to level up, fight him a few more times. I don't really get frustrated at it. Every time I lose I just want to beat him more.

Last edited by abfackeln; 03-25-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #7
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
my thoughts on the game, besides the framerate problems - again! WTF? - and poor loading times, which would annoy me greatly:
Since this game is backed by Sony and there is a lot of attention on it I am surprised that there isn't more polish in terms of framerate. I am not sure what could be done about the load times. The levels are huge and seamless.

Neither issue is a game breaker for me. Most of my favorite games are flawed.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:25 AM   #8
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Since this game is backed by Sony and there is a lot of attention on it I am surprised that there isn't more polish in terms of framerate.
For a game were the framerate should almost run as smooth as in fighting games it is kind of unpardonable.
The only game were a technical incompetency did not deeply harm my good opinion of it, was Vampire Bloodlines.
60fps is for an eye candy game impossible, but not even constant 30fps? What were they thinking? (and wasting processing power with chromatic abomination? if it's immediately visible it's almost definitely overdone. if it's barely visible, resources for it are even more a total waste. Please die like every other overdone, "smearing", anticlean effect)

Seems to me that Japanese game developers have the same troubles with x86 as with Cell.
SCEJ irrelevant for consoles since Colossus?
Where is Square? Practically hibernating since PS3 was announced...
Deep down somewhere deep down development hell?
Kojima last "full" game was MGS IV, 2008...
Polyphony has probably adopted Valve Time.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:16 AM   #9
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
I don't want to say too much yet, because I want the others to get to play it first. There are noticeable changes from Souls, but it still is very much a Souls game.

Quick tips that I don't think spoil anything:

1. You level up from a doll in the hub. You'll see her right away in the hub, but she won't react to you until you face a boss. You don't have to beat the boss you just have to encounter one. I lost 6000 "blood echoes" (this games version of souls).

2. The other tip is when you die your blood echoes may remain as a blood pool on the ground, or they may get picked up by an enemy in the surrounding area. You'll know what enemy by their glowing eyes. It may not be the enemy that killed you.
Good tips there.

I played for 2 hours when it unlocked at midnight last night and whoooo-eee, it's something all right!

I don't know what that something is right now. Firstly I would hate to be a new player playing this in a vacuum, because it is possibly the least player-friendly game I've seen. Finding a save point at the start (or unlocking the first shortcut) is extremely difficult, and the large mob of enemies on the first street make it very wearing to find your way through.

They could have done with a gentler introduction, but maybe that is the gentle part? In any case my first impression was that they catered to the hardcore followers first, which is fine, I guess. It seems a bit self-defeating though.

The combat will take some getting used to. I've primarily been using the normal primary attack, I might spend some time in the first area tonight figuring out the combat before I progress further.

The combat is a weird mix of balls-out aggression, and deliberately trying to separate mooks from the pack.

Haven't found any weapons or armour (apart from bird-bath boy) yet either, looks like they are in short supply.

I think the combat will reward skill and become rewarding once I become used to it. Haven't faced any bosses yet, and have actually been avoiding the bigger enemies.

But I would say that Crackajack's concerns above hold true and he should avoid it

Last edited by Pedro; 03-27-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #10
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Made great progress last night. Beat the second boss on the first try and opened up a lot more areas to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Haven't faced any bosses yet, and have actually been avoiding the bigger enemies.
The pros and cons from avoiding the big enemies at first:

Pro: You get to create shortcuts by opening gates.

Con: You can't level up until you face a boss. You have to go through tough enemies to get to a boss. If you wait you'll have a lot of blood echoes that you'll most likely lose. You also have to beat the bosses to open new save points. Good luck!!!

Buy the "armor" from the hub if you haven't already.

***Description of where the first boss is and armor locations. Possible SPOILERS***

The first boss is on a bridge. You may see two giant wolves first depending how you get to the bridge. You'll also fight an ogre-like guy and some giant clipped-winged crows. If I remember correctly you create a shortcut by turning on an elevator off of the bridge too. So, look for that after beating the wolves and ogre, but before the boss.

I actually found the second boss first. It is past the sewers.

There is only one set of armor in the first area. It is located in the sewers and took me a little while to figure out how to get to it.
You start from a path by where you fought the 2 wolves on the bridge by the first boss. You'll be on top of buildings over looking the crucification / pyre that you would of seen early on. Smash through some boxes and drop down in the sewers from there. That was probably not the best description, but I am not a strategy guide writer

The second set of armor I found was pretty quickly and easily after defeating the second boss. I don't think you'll have trouble stumbling across it.

Last edited by abfackeln; 03-27-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #11
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I hit a real wall with that second boss so I went exploring Central Yharnham. I think I've covered it all, though I haven't found the weapon that people have mentioned is in there somewhere. I found the armour set and had pretty much a delightful time exploring.

The big guys weren't all that difficult in the end, I'm taking them down in three swipes of my axe now. I've also unlocked a bunch of other weapons and am trying them out, but my upgraded axe is still my favourite.

I can't get the hang of the left-hand weapon at all, the window of opportunity is too tiny for my terrible reflexes. I had planned on developing this a bit today, but I got Mr G on the first go this morning, so I'm all set!

Looking forward to exploring more later.

Note on the environments: I wasn't too fond of them at first, but am coming around. To say the design is on Dark Souls 1 level is incorrect, I think, primarily because the developers are using big-ass ladders to link the various tiers rather than it being more organic. But lovely levels, I like them a lot.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Beat the third boss. Too tired to explore the next area now.

***Possible Spoilers***

There is a guy shooting a gun on top of tower. Really annoying. I was going to recommend fighting him later, because he is kind of an attack sponge, but when I fought him last he just ran off of the tower and died. Sooo that is one tactic... Good news is that he is dead and doesn't repawn. Bad news he ran off the side of the building that I can get to from the ground level. Whatever item he dropped I couldn't get.

Third boss really wash't too hard. It did take me a few tries. A more skilled player would't have any trouble. The boss is kind of fast but not accurate. It is easy to dodge its attacks and and attack from its back. It sprays poison. You'll be poisoned even when you go near it towards the end of the battle. Have a lot of potions and antidotes. A note on the ground said fire works. I didn't read that until after the battle.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:06 AM   #13
Pedro
128-bit Poster

That guy with the gun is kicking my ass

Protip: if someone happens to fall off a cliff or something like that, you can quit out of the game (using the system menu) and reload immediately and their loot will usually be sitting in the correct place. If you have reloaded since though, it disappears, so I'm guessing it's gone for you

I did a huge amount of exploration yesterday, I didn't find that boss you are talking about but found another (not beaten) and opened up a massive new area. The amount of times I lost 15,000 souls because I wanted to push on and explore just a little more is embarrassing.

It's a pretty good game. It is tough.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:23 AM   #14
Pedro
128-bit Poster

So, the game is approaching greatness in my eyes.

I still haven't been able to use the damn gun (parry), but am progressing through the world, which is massive. Some really weird things are starting to happen now, the old Demons' feeling of existential dread is back! And then some....

I think I have five bosses down, and three more are blocking progress in some areas, but there is so much to explore that this hasn't developed into a critical situation yet.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:27 AM   #15
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Interesting article today by Brad, where he canvassed opinion from those who hated the Souls games but love Bloodborne.

In summary, the faster pace and streamlined armour and weapons are a big hit.