About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
gamevet

The E3 thread!

So far, I've seen nothing that gets me excited about next-gen console gaming on the Xbox One or PS4 for 2014.

It looks like 2015 is the year to finally take the plunge and buy either a PS4 or Xbox One.

Your thoughts?
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: The E3 thread!

I haven't followed it but I read last night's Twitter sidebar on Gamecritics this morning and those tweets were amusing enough. Same old same old.

So are we saying that Next Gen is going to be a bust for it's first two whole years?

I really like the PS4, it is a nice machine and great for watching Netflix and MLB.tv on. There are some really good games, but very very few of them. I would wait for 2015.

I'm looking forward to Madden in August. I hope there will be some surprises before then.

August!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #3
crackajack
64-bit Poster

My E3 highlights so far:
Splatoon
If done right it could compete with the best MP-shooter ever: TF2!

Sunset Overdrive
I am not sure if i really like the sort of bloated gameplay, but i love the style.

Inside
Ori and the Blind Forest
I like those 2D Games that are weird and emotional.

The Division
Basically my hype for it is founded on being a fan of World in Conflict.

Arkham Knight
Still not played Arkham City, but since the 'I'm Batman' feeling in the first one was so awesome i have to like every successor.

No gameplay trailers i liked very much:
Dead Island 2
Seems like the trailers are the best thing coming from this franchise.
Let it Die
I don't know why, but out of all the dark, brutal games this was vague enough to pique some interest.
MGS5
Totally no fan of MGS, but i love the trailer he makes.
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
I have no idea what this game wants to be in the gameplay department but the trailer was heart touching. Exactly doing what i want a WW-shooter to do.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I haven't followed it but I read last night's Twitter sidebar on Gamecritics this morning and those tweets were amusing enough. Same old same old.

So are we saying that Next Gen is going to be a bust for it's first two whole years?

I really like the PS4, it is a nice machine and great for watching Netflix and MLB.tv on. There are some really good games, but very very few of them. I would wait for 2015.

I'm looking forward to Madden in August. I hope there will be some surprises before then.

August!
Yeah! I expected a least a couple of big titles that would ship this year. Most of the somewhat surprising titles won't be here for quite some time.

This would have been an opportune time for Nintendo to get some traction with the Wii U, but they've left those that are still holding out with very little reason to jump onto the platform in 2014. Devil's Third looks like a fun hack n' slash though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9teDKrpaDKQ

I shouldn't be surprised by this. I had bought my PS3 about 7 months after its launch, burned through what little decent titles were available and ended up getting a 360 for Bioshock and the upcoming Mass Effect in 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
My E3 highlights so far:

Sunset Overdrive
I am not sure if i really like the sort of bloated gameplay, but i love the style.
I liked what I saw of that title as well. It sort of reminded me of an overlooked last-gen title called Bulletstorm.

Last edited by gamevet; 06-11-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 AM   #5
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
It sort of reminded me of an overlooked last-gen title called Bulletstorm.
Now my interest level decreased.

2 things that were disappointing:
I hoped they would have more ready for Project Morpheus. More than just some demos.
Isn't it supposed to be my display device for games? None of the currently under development are going to be on this?
Motion sickness will be a problem that can't be overcome, but the rest of the tech is there. What are they waiting for. The PS5?
Oculus' is probably working within Valve Time, but i thought Sony would be more eager to get it out soon.

Vita got totally degraded to a PS4 companion device without any intent to support it with (western) AAA games. At least make some small team games like Tearaway. Will be interesting what PS+ delivers in the coming years.
Toukiden, Persona4, Killzone and Tearaway are almost a certainty now, when they don't want to just give us indie game after indie game.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
gamevet

I get the impression that Sony is going to start treating the Vita like Nvidia's shield. It's primary purpose in the West will be for Sony's streaming game service, with dedicated games for the device being somewhat limited.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
crackajack
64-bit Poster

At least SCEA seems to have that plan. It's more or less just a display where games have to be "stolen" from somewhere else.

When that's the plan i wonder if you could make a Vita that's really just a receiver of PS Now. And remove thus also the memory cards, and their pricing what everyone bothers rigthfully.

Maybe Gamescom will show if SCEE has any plan of bringing some Tearaway type games. Whatever Shahid meant with 70 games are in development (Sony Japan PS3 style? where they release almost nothing?), the Vita deserves to have at least some "real" support.
I can see PS Now being a success. But i doubt many would buy a device just for it. (so the idea above is nothing i believe would be successful) I'd rather see people using devices they already have for it.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Only game I'm halfway excited about is Bloodborne.