About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

E3 2015 Thread

E3 is a nauseating marketing overdose, but it needs to be talked about.

E3 2015 Big Game List and Announcements

NOTE: I know I am being generous here.

Game of Show Contender:
Super Mario Maker
For Honor
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Cuphead

Great:
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Rainbowsix Seige
Trackmania Turbo
Mother
Xenoblade Chronicles
Rare Replay
Dark Souls 3
The Last Guardian
Fire Emblem Fates
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Street Fighter V
Shenmue 3 Kickstarter (Made their goal in 9 hours)
Xbox One backwards compatible
Hololens Demo

Good:
Halo 5
Star Wars Battlefront
Doom 2015
No Man's Sky
Hitman Reboot
Fire Watch
Ghost Recon
Uncharted 4
Tomb Raider
Yoshi Wooly World
Zelda Triforce Heroes
Assassign's Creed Syndicate
Deus Ex
Star Ocean PS4
Kingdom Hearts 3

Okay:
Fallout 4
Battlecry
Beyond Eyes
The Division
Dishonored 2
Dreams
Star Fox Wii U
Mario & Luigi Paper Jam
Yo-Kai Watch
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Just Cause 3
Need For Speed

Meh:
The new Retro game
Plants Vs Zombies 2
Elder Scrolls Legends
Fallout Shelter
Gigantic
Ion
Call of Duty Black Ops 3
Destiny
Animal Crossing games

Just Bad:
Metriod Prime 3DS

Have to see more:
Mass Effect
Gears 4
Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire
Recode
Neir Sequel
Project Setsuna

Last edited by abfackeln; 06-20-2015 at 11:28 AM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Re: E3 2015 Thread

Bethesda had their first E3 conference announcing a few titles:

Elder Scrolls Legends: free-to-play card game. Don't care.
Fallout Shelter: mobile game. Don't care.
Battlecry: Looks okay. Kind of like Team Fortress. It is free-to-play, so I won't touch it.
Dishonored 2: Looks okay. I'll get it when it is cheap. Nothing exciting, but not bad.
Doom reboot: Looks like a throwback to the original Dooms with modern graphics. Probably a better approach to the series than Doom 3.
Fallout 4: Looks exactly like Fallout 3.

The only thing I was excited for yesterday was the announcement and release by Nintendo of the original Earthbound /Mother game that was never officially released outside of Japan. Already downloaded it.

I am super hyped for Mirror's Edge 2. Despite its flaws, Mirror's Edge was one of my favorite titles from last gen.

Of course my most anticipated title I want announced at E3 2015 is a new title.

The most anticipated sequel or new title in an existing franchise would be a Mario 64 successor for the Wii U. Not sure if they will announce it since they are going to be pushing Super Mario Maker. Speaking of Super Mario Maker, Nintendo showed off some levels created for SMM that look amazing. Can't wait for that one.

I'll watch Microsofts conference at 12:30 my time and make updates.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I read that Dark Souls 3 will be the last in the series. That is a good thing.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

yay: Aisha making grown men feel inadequate

meh: Doom gameplay - nothing says non-stop action like a radial menu to pause and select the next weapon

nay: Need for Speed is dead to me

yay: Dishonored 2 could be the dishonored to restore the honor of dishonored

meh: Gears 4 looks like it would rather be resident evil 8

nay: Microsoft failed to thrill, they really needed to stick the landing here. There only chance now is that Sony comes out with a press conference proclaiming it's all about tv, tv, tv...

more after Sony.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Microsoft recap:

Microsoft did better than the past few years, but still not that great. Backwards compatibility announcement was almost like when Microsoft announce that the is a Windows XP mode in Windows 8, or what ever number it was.

I know I'll enjoy Halo 5 while complaining about it.

Recode is a game made with the creator of Metroid. There was't a gameplay trailer, so we'll have to see what it really looks like.

Then there was a long period of sports and casual games.

Dark Souls 3 followed that and it looked as sinister as ever. Still not that much shown.

The Division had another long press for I think the third year now.

A couple of forgettable indy titles followed by Cuphead. Cuphead will probably get best art direction of E3 by me. Who knows if it will play well. It is a shmup drawn like a 1930s cartoon.

They spent a few minutes talking about a game called Ion that made no sense.

Tomb Raider looks like an amazing action adventure games as expected. Kind of the video game version of a popcorn flick.

Rare came on. I got beyond exciting because there has been hints of a new Battletoads. Instead we got a compilation (That I will for sure own day one) and a lame pirate game.

They went into their VR Hololens preso that looks incredible. Hopefully it will deliver.

Then a Gears 4 trailer that didn't say much.

That was it.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 PM   #6
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

EA recap:

Mass Effect Andromeda cinematic trailer

Unravel. A 2.5D platformer. It looks like a cross between Limbo and Kirby Epic Yarn

Need For Speed

Sports, sports, and more sports.
It was funny that all they talked about with NBA Live 16 was how you can dress up your player. The game bombed the past year and all you can talk about is putting on funny pants.

They showed off more Mirror's Edge that looked great. Not much different than the first.

The Star Wars Battlefront.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Sony Recap:

The Last Guardian went first with gameplay. Looks a lot like Ico.

Guerrilla Games (Killzone) showed off a new IP called Horizon. At first it look like it was going to be a lot like Assassign's Creed, but it changed a lot. Looks really good. Third person action/ adventure game.

A new Hitman reboot that looks promising.

A splash of Street Fighter V.

Some No Man's Sky with a demo. Looks relaxing, but not sure if it will get old fast.

Media Molecule has a new art tool that looks interesting called Dreams. More of a tool than a game.

More Assassigns Creed set in 1800s England. I am excited. It is weird to say that about Assassins Creed in 2015.

For some reason they show of an extremly kiddy Final Fantasy followed by an unbelievably amazing Final Fantasy VII remake teaser trailer. It will probably feel like a new game in the end.

Yu Suzuki came out to announce his Kickstarter for Shenmue 3. I think there is enough fans out there that will support it. I will.

Now for the slowest part of Sony's press. Call of Duty Black Ops 3. The big thing for this was that Playstation is going to have more support than Microsoft this time and the campaign can be played co-op with 4 people. The campaign looks as boring as ever.

More Battlefront.

Ending it with a play through of a section of Uncharted 4. You can drive cars now. Looks great.

Last edited by abfackeln; 06-15-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #8
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

A couple of things to mention about Ubisoft. I didn't watch the entire show. TrackMania Turbo looks like a great Throwback to 90s arcade racing games and Ghost Recon actually looks kind of good. I thought it was going to be Splinter Cell at first.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:22 AM   #9
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Great
Cuphead

Good
Horizon
Dreams (Edit: the longer i think about it, the more i'm inclined to think it will be a great experience non"game")
Battlefield SW
Garden Warfare 2
360 BC (if it works really with native 360 games and is not limited to (possibly downgraded) PC games)
Hitman (i don't care much for the game but i like their trailers)
SW Online
Doom 4 (i'm not a big fan of those superfast shooters, and i guess i would prefer them to make either Quake or Doom a real slow horror game, but it looked fun. Like the In Hell Mod that was better than the actual game)
Dishonored 2
Fallout Shelter (not for me, but i totally get it and no F2P annoyances at all... they could have made a fuckton of money but chose not to.)
Unravel
Trackmania Turbo (if there is a proper mod plattform integrated)
Edit: Enter the Gungeon
Uncharted 4
Deus Ex /e

Okay
Mirrors Edge Catalyst (they showed nothing that proved that the bigger problems of the original were improved... it actually looked very much the same)

meh
For Honor (trailer looked promising; 4vs4 Souls Team Deathmatch or something, but then DW invaded and the gameplay appeared)
VR (Oculus bullshit with Xbox cinema mode and almost no new announcements for anything. The fuck? When will game development begin?)

hype decreased
The Division (i hate any form of dickmove encouraging MP modes)

thank god the wait is (hopefully) over and we can get to more interesting stuff in the future
Shen Mue III
FF VII Remake
Last Guardian

i don't get it (at all)
Hololens (AR like it was possible years ago on 3DS and Vita, but with a probably totally faked presentation... i get VR without ever have put one of those glasses on (pull me into games! (and mature entertainment)), but i have zero desire to bring games into my rooms. Unless it works on any, non flat, surface too. Anyone really interested to "play" Minecraft on his coffee table instead of having the god mode camera in the normal game?
No mans sky (exploring random shit is still exploring random shit... proof: Trackmania one button press generator... the track worked, but was a shit track... unlike approx. thousands awesome ones i played created manually by other real people. Random and procedurally is technically impressive but if it were capable of creating interesting stuff the similar routines would be capable of writing real books... and that era is years away.)
Pele on stage. Even fake Usher was less of a showstopper than that segment. They could have done some video snippets in a montage or whatever, but bringing this legend on stage without a proper purpose was super pointless.

Last edited by crackajack; 06-18-2015 at 03:57 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I am too let down by the Nintendo presentation to even talk about it. I added titles to the big list.

Edit:

Yoshi Wooly World: Looking forward to this

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam: a mash-up between Mario & Luigi RPG and Paper Mario. Should be good.

Mario Tennis. Its Mario playing tennis.

Fire Emblem Fates: Probably the best announcement in the preso today.

Zelda Triforce Heros: A multiplayer Zelda game for the 3DS like Four Swards adventure

Hyrule Warriors Legends: Hyrule Warriors for the 3DS

Star Fox Wii U- Looks very close to Star Fox 64. A lot more vehicle variety

Xenoblade Chronicles: looks amazing as always

Some Animal Crossing spinoffs that I don't care about

And a very very terrible Metroid Prime for the 3DS that looks like it is aimed at 3 year olds.

Last edited by abfackeln; 06-16-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Square-Enix Recap:

Just Cause 3: We already seen this. Can be a fun sandbox game.

Neir Sequel: teaser trailer. All-star team of developers. Produced by Platinum. Very pretty.

Star Ocean PS4: I am in a mood for a traditional JRPG, so I am looking forward to it

Project Sestina: New IP JRPG. Not a sequel or spinoff to anything

Hitman reboot: just a recap of what they shown before.

Tomb Raider: Same as Hitman.

Kingdom Hears 3: Looked good. I am not a huge KH fan.

EDIT: Woo Hoo! Just noticed this is my 2000 post!

Last edited by abfackeln; 06-17-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Adding
Enter the Gungeon
to my "Good" List
Looked like Binding of Isaac done right.

Nintendo was totally lackluster. At least give some Indies time if you have so few games to show. The average Nintendo Direct is possibly not worse than that Digital Event. Which should be the highlight Direct off the year? Star Fox looked like a B-Team game and from there on i fought against sleep. Xenoblade looked like the last "proper" AAA-game in their pipeline (before NX? Zelda not coming to wii-u?).

I don't care about actual Square Enix games. That great CGI, weird characters and Disney mashup. Not my thing. JRPG in general i guess.
Everything from the The Eidos/IO whatever branch looked very good though.

PC Show
The host was great and i liked the talkshow format they used.

Best show i'd say was Bethesda. Little bit too much in depth, but no actual boring or bullshit stuff.
Sony was best in surprising, but disappointing in their "big" Morpheus segment were they announced pretty much nothing and their whole line-up for this year are third party games.

The others were OK most of the time, but overall i'm pretty disappointed by the innovation.
Horizon, Dreams, For Honor are all of the new AAA-IP? But left and right remakes and sequels, and thank god some Indies that step into that open room.

Edit
I don't like how the Kickstarter of Shen Mue not clearly states that (a big? part of) the funding comes from Sony.
The get a basic funding then we talk dev-publisher relationship where the diehard fanboy backers are somewhat excluded is sort of dishonest.
And asking for 2 to 4 mio dollars when it probably costs a lot more also doesn't help the real indie-dev that will need his entire 1 mio goal when that will be his entire budget. It misrepresents the necessary budgets.

Last edited by crackajack; 06-18-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Nintendo needed a big announced game. That is it and they didn't have it. Star Fox looks like an up-resed GameCube game. SF is also missing an online multiplayer.
I knew Zelda Wii U was going to be absent. It is said to still be a Wii U game, although they can pull a Twilight Princess on us.
For me a new Metroid could have blown me away. The Metroid they shown was like being punched to the stomach, kicked in the crotch, then being curb-stomped.

For Square-Enix: I know I am the only one that like JRPGs here. I still like them more than WRPGs. I like color and a break from angst.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #14
gamevet

I loved Bethesda's presentation for Fallout 4. I'm really looking forward to the game.

Yeah, the game looks a lot like Fallout 3, but there are subtle differences like better environment lighting and more color to the surroundings. My guess is that Bethesda was trying to not stray too far from the look and feel of the previous 2 games, but wanted to show that the world was finally coming back to life, after 200 years.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
crackajack
64-bit Poster

I just read that Sony was afraid off peoples reaction because Horizon Zero Dawns female lead. Which i can't understand at all. If it had to be historically accurate i guess females in a hunter class would be slightly unusual, but it's a distant future. They don't have to go nuts to make it totally plausible.
But i wonder much more why she is so pale. I'm pale too. But i hardly go hunting robodinosaurs outside... and i'm not ginger haired, who get sunburns pretty fast?
Ozone layer got much thicker in this future universe?
Whatever. Nitpicking i guess.

Read some speculations about Dreams and speculating myself
Unlike No Man's Sky, i totally get the possible LBP on drugs game and i want it even if there is no game at all. I really hope this is what NMS is for other people.

Last edited by crackajack; 06-18-2015 at 09:47 AM.