About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Ozzcln
New Poster

Rate my review: El Shaddai Ascension of the Metatron

"Heavenly story and gameplay, but hellish to Platinum"

High:Hate to say it but graphics set it apart more than anything.

Low:almost pure button mashing on normal or below difficulty.

WTF:The Watcher fights that can completely throw off a G rank if you slip up just once.

Summary:You are Enoch and are sent to seal up fallen angels that are corrupting the world.

First of all know that I have platinumed this game and am reviewing it on the grounds of a normal playthrough basis such as story, gameplay, graphics, and ect. And a second score for ease of trophies and getting 100% on it. In this games case I'm also putting in a score based on the hard mode and up because of how it changes the gameplay.

Graphics: Let's go ahead and get the perfect score for graphics, because even if you hate them you can't deny they're original and gorgeous.The landscapes are vivid and diverse.10/10

Gameplay: Finally a platforming game that actually has ample platforming. Only issue here is that the camera can make it difficult to determine distance on some jumps.Loved the premise of stealing weapons as well as the purifying.I loved how each weapon had a distinct feeling to it, and had many uses. I feel there could have been more hidden items though. Also feel that the Veil's ability to break certain obstacles could/should have been used more. 9/10

Combat: I'll admit if not for Hard and Extra modes I would have scored this very low and almost written off as button masher. So, even though it was still enjoyable it gets a 7/10.
HOWEVER after playing thru Hard and Extra modes I found quite a bit of depth. Everything from planning what weapon I had so as to make certain enemies spawn, actually keeping a fresh weapon for the damage boost, and finding what attacks can stun and are most effective when faced with a weapon I was weak to. I give it a 9/10

Story: at times it seems to jump around but overall it is enjoyable. I loved it and would like to see a sequel.I do feel there were things that could have been explored further. Would like to see more of what happened afterward involving Ishtar. Would have liked more back story on her and the Freeman as well. 9/10

Music: not much that was memorable, but it went with the stages and was a good mix overall. 9/10

Overall I say 9/10

Now as far as 100% goes: whew it is brutal. Getting most of the trophies (like 95%) are easy. It's the Conquerer trophy that requires a G rank on all chapters on hard that is killer. Pretty much requires a perfect play through in addition to knowing where all special objects are. I will say that it is something to be proud of if you can do it. Difficulty rating 9.5/10

Disclosures: This game was obtained via Gamestop and reviewed on the Playstation 3. Approximately 27 hours of play was devoted to single-player modes (completed 3 times and achieved the platinum trophy)

Last edited by Ozzcln; 06-05-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Ozzcln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Rate my review: El Shaddai Ascension of the Metatron

Hallo Ozzclyn

I guess you've followed the review template here, but it does seem a bit odd to see the game split out by gameplay graphics etc. And it's quite refreshing actually!

However, my main issues with your review would be: it's very personal. You just explain how it affected you, but as someone who hasn't played the game, I have no sense of what it actually is, apart from a platformer. You need to elaborate on the premise of the game etc. The review reads like it is aimed at someone who has already played the game.

For example

Quote:
at times it seems to jump around but overall it is enjoyable. I loved it and would like to see a sequel.I do feel there were things that could have been explored further. Would like to see more of what happened afterward involving Ishtar. Would have liked more back story on her and the Freeman as well
we have no idea of the story, or who Ishtar and Freeman are, so this is pretty meaningless.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Ozzcln
New Poster

Re: Rate my review: El Shaddai Ascension of the Metatron

Well the reason for that is I'm giving my opinion on what I think about the story, and I didn't explain what those things are because I didn't want to have any spoilers. I felt that from the description of gameplay and combat a reader could determine if it was a game for them.Though I do need to edit and put in a small rundown of the premise for the game.
Ozzcln is offline   Reply With Quote