About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Late to the Party

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
eaps
Husk of a Gamer

Torchlight

Who's psyched for the sequel? I'm playing through the original for the first time and it is really fantastic. What surprised me is how well the graphics hold up by choosing a more "cartoony" style. I have the settings maxed out and it looks quite pretty overall.

I'm only about 20 levels down right now, so I have quite a stretch ahead of me. It should be a fun trip!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: Torchlight

I've been tempted to pick this up for a while, especially seeing as pre-ordering the sequel on Steam gets you the first one free. I've never played any of the Diablo games, and the simple-sounding gameplay (clicking on enemies to kill them) sounds overly simplistic for me. Or is there much more to it than that?
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Acuosuo
New Poster

Send a message via ICQ to Acuosuo
nothing else

I'm new here , nice thread!
Acuosuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
[...] (clicking on enemies to kill them) sounds overly simplistic for me. Or is there much more to it than that?
You could use this description for at least 60% of games on the market right now, including the big blockbuster AAA releases

I am curious about the sequel but I felt while playing Diablo 3 (the couple of hours I could actually play, thanks to moronic always-on-drm - btw: avoid Diablo 3 like the plague right now, it's simply unplayable at this stage) that I donīt get the same enjoyment out of ARPG that I got when I was younger. Itīs a game of growing numbers, essentially. You grow in levels. Your damage grows exponentially. Your enemies grow in size and damage they can deal. Everything becomes supercharged after a while and what killed you with 2 hits after 2 hours playing falls over when you just look at it funny just 2 hours later. Any notion of realism or authenticity gets fired out of the window by the time you shoot 20 arrows at once or turn into the avatar of some pagan deity for 20 seconds (with 120 seconds cooldown).
Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
eaps
Husk of a Gamer

@Li-Ion... too funny!

Yeah, I was having a co-worker (not Chi) about this Diablo issue. What was addictive and amazing 10 years ago, just doesn't have the same zing.

Oddly enough, 10 years ago I was not in the mental place to enjoy the zen of this type of game. Now, I am... Consequently, I'm having a blast with Torchlight. Back in the day, I just was too busy with school, training, etc. to really take the time to enjoy Diablo.