About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Podcast Feedback

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte
Short Topic suggestion: WHEN do you game?

As I get older, I'm finding it much, much harder to find time to game, and I'm not in nearly the predicament some of you guys are in, what with children abound.

My question is, then, when and how do you find time to game? Do you make time in the day? Do you sacrifice sleep-time? What about significant others? How do they handle the time that could be spent together that is instead spent gaming (not necessarily implying that they are against spending time separately)?

I have a hard enough time pulling it together to just finish a game like Fallout 3, I don't see how you guys can finish a game like that, and a JRPG on the side with a FPS thrown in the middle for good measure, and still have time to work/run a family/relationship. I'm impressed and looking for pointers.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Short Topic suggestion: WHEN do you game?

Hah, good topic!

It's a long story but I only got into games a few years ago, so in order to make room for them other stuff had to be dropped. I barely watch TV now, and I've started sleeping less. I sleep about 5 hours a night, with 6-7 on weekends sometimes, something that would have shocked and appalled me a couple of years ago. This allows me to stay up gaming till 2-3am on weeknights. Living the dream!

I have no idea how people with families fit it in. They must be extremely efficient gamers.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I don't have a family and don't watch TV. The time I would sink into the telly I sink into games. But even with that I find it hard to play really long games. Dark Souls will for sure be with me another month or two

In my last relationship there was some tension when I wanted to play longer, since my partner at that time didn't think it was a valid hobby. There I only rarely managed to play more than 3 hours a week. Unless I was looking for a fight, of course. That makes finishing a 40-hour game rather challenging.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
RedDog
New Poster

I've recently found it hard to find time to game recently. I'm 31, live with my fiance, we're planning a wedding and we both have full time jobs. Add on top of that going to the gym after work, eating, spending time with the lady, tv and the commute...during the week on weekdays, I might play from 11PM till 12:30PM one MAAAAAAYBE two nights.

Normally my gaming day is Sunday. I'll sit there and play sometimes 4-5 hours straight.

Being an adult gamer, plus a HUGE lover of RPGs, I usually don't finish games till months later. Hell I'm STILL going through Fallout 3 DLC and playing Oblivion. I don't mind though, cause I totally enjoy the little time I have gaming. I look forward to my Sunday Game Day.
RedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
RedDog
New Poster

I've recently found it hard to find time to game recently. I'm 31, live with my fiance, we're planning a wedding and we both have full time jobs. Add on top of that going to the gym after work, eating, spending time with the lady, tv and the commute...during the week on weekdays, I might play from 11PM till 12:30PM one MAAAAAAYBE two nights.

Normally my gaming day is Sunday. I'll sit there and play sometimes 4-5 hours straight.

Being an adult gamer, plus a HUGE lover of RPGs, I usually don't finish games till months later. Hell I'm STILL going through Fallout 3 DLC and playing Oblivion. I don't mind though, cause I totally enjoy the little time I have gaming. I look forward to my Sunday Game Day.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
RedDog
New Poster

Sunday is normally my game day. I could spend up to 4-5 hours on Sundays gaming. Saturday I may get an hour or so in but it's rare. Being an adult gamer is rough on gaming.

During the week with work, commuting, cooking/eating dinner, watching a little tv...I'll be lucky if I get to play an hour or two during the week before bed from 11PM-12:30. Plus i'm getting married, so if my fiance goes to sleep, I'll either play with my headphones on, or just go to sleep too (my 360 is in the bedroom with the HD TV).

Sure i'd love to have more time for gaming, but I don't look at it negatively. I look forward to my Sunday Game Day. It's my way to relax. And being a big RPG lover...it takes me longer to finish games. Hell, i'm still going through Fallout 3 DLC and playing Oblivion...but I don't care, i'll finish them in time. I finished the 2 Mass Effects in a few months. It may take longer than others, I may not play new games when they come out, but I'm still a gamer
Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Hmm. I just caught Felipe browsing this thread.

WHAT COULD THAT MEAN.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Means you need to lock your computer, man.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'm 97% sure we just recorded a segment on this topic.
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote