About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #121
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: What are you playing right now?

Just started with SpaceChem, a game that has just been added to the latest Humble Bundle, kindly bought to our attention by Li-Ion. This is a game I'd contemplated getting on Steam, but didn't due to not knowing what to expect combined with a fairly high price for an indie game.

Really enjoying it so far; it's a puzzler, but not in the traditional sense. In general, you get given particular elements, and have to combine them to make specific atoms. You do this by giving two "Waldos" (microscopic things that handle the elements) set commands. There is no "right" or set way of doing each level, it's just got to work, although you are encouraged to be as resourceful as possible. Difficult to explain the game, and watching screenshots probably won't make it much clearer.

Definitely not for everyone, but if you do get into it, it's incredibly adictive. One of the best puzzle games I've ever played.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #122
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Also playing SpaceChem, nothing to add from my side other than that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Definitely not for everyone, but if you do get into it, it's incredibly adictive. One of the best puzzle games I've ever played.
I approve this message.

edit: almost forgot, the waiting time at train stations is currently sweetened by Shredder Chess Lite for iOS. A free (at least the lite version) and quite decent chess program. Unfortunately the AI becomes too stupid for me now and I'd have to buy the full version for a challenge

Last edited by Li-Ion; 10-07-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #123
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Super Paper Mario (Wii)
Love the game so far, but a little too much "story" for what I am really looking for right now.

Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing (360)
Enjoyable kart-style racer. Need to get some multiplayer races going. If anyone stills plays this on Live, drop me a line.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #124
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Red Faction: Guerrilla. Love it.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #125
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Every now an then Squarelogic. Never gets boring.

Beat Hazard Ultra. Really love the added ability to play internet radio stations. Endless always deviating fun!

Already finished Quantum of Solace. Better than i expected. A more detailed opinion in the finished threat after i am through with the Bond Double Feature, since i started afterwards Blood Stone.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #126
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Keep letting us know what you think of this game. It seems like many of the regular posters keep up the occasional mention of RF:G from time-to-time. In fact, I'm surprised I haven't really noticed a thread devoted just to Red Faction: Guerrilla. Maybe I should go search for one.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #127
gamevet

Quote:
I played a little bit of the first chapter on PC. It seemed okay, but I'll have to play it a little more to get a better idea of how the game plays. The first chapter was okay, but not enough to drag me in.

I've been playing Resident Evil 4 on the PS3. The textures aren't quite as crisps as I remember them being on the GC, but the game is still pretty cool.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #128
JLB1987
Sex machine

Dark Souls. Not far in at all, but I'm loving it so far. Even my girlfriend, who doesn't understand it at all ("You've already done this level!"), enjoys watching me play it. I think mostly for my reaction to some of the bigger bastards on there, which I daren't repeat on here. Definitely still a n00b at it, but I'm enjoying just grinding away and practising my techniques on lesser enemies, which I suppose is almost how it's *meant* to be played.

Also, Max Payne on my laptop. Forgot how fun this game is. I hope Max Payne 3 isn't as inferior on the console ports compared to the PC versions, as the first two games were. For the first two instalments, the PC versions are definitely the way to go.

Also just bought the first three Broken Sword games which were on offer on www.gog.com, although they're probably not anymore as of writing this. My only experience of the games are the first one on the GBA, and a demo of the second one on my old PSone, so I'm looking forward to them.

Last edited by JLB1987; 10-21-2011 at 01:29 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #129
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Indeed, swell game and an unexpected surprise. Will be curious to see what you think about the endgame content.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #130
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

In addition to Super Paper Mario, just got Thor (DS) in the mail today. So far so good. Reminds me of all the movie based games from the SNES/Genesis era. You know the ones, games loosely, very loosely, based on movies. Though, Thor claims to be based on the comics, just uses the design and characters from the movie.

Also playing quick rounds of Super Monkey Ball 2 and Streets of Rage 2 (both iOS). Super Monkey Ball 2 was a free download earlier this week. Solid port. So far I prefer using the single joystick in the original instead of tilting the iPad (though the later is executed quite well). Streets of Rage 2 is still a free download until around noon tomorrow (Sat. 10/29). It's Streets of Rage 2, not sure what else needs to be said.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #131
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Still enjoying Dark Souls, though it is hard as nails trying to do it in single player.

Also got Tiger Woods 12 recently which seems quite good though of course it's just the same game again. It's cheap now, though seeing all the 'extra' courses that you can buy online (3 or 4 euros each) leaves a bit of a sour taste.

Still playing Madden 12; online franchise is going well and we're managing it through myleaguemanager which is just great. Not only do you get to play football, you also get to maintain offlilne spreadsheets full of salary figures, player progression, and draft picks.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #132
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Aliens: Infestation for DS..

quite a nice little retro game package, although the boss fights seem a little not-fun. Having a mixed squad with members who really die and dont come back is a nice touch that I think more games could implement.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #133
RandomRob

and downloaded Dead Space on Steam for $6.80. Great price, and I'm frankly stunned how good this game looks running on my PC with high graphics settings. Scrolls beautifully. Looks a heck of alot better than it did on my PS3. I guess this game engine was actually coded well. Go figure.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:19 AM   #134
crackajack
32-bit Poster

started God of War 2
Hope Kratos got some balls this time and not starts again whining.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #135
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: the Game ~ on sale this week on XBLA. Enjoying it so far, but damn, it is one tough little cookie.