About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #781
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Re: What are you playing right now?

In addition to Rocksmith (360) and Rayman Fiesta Run (iOS) I have added The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii VC) to my "now playing" list. Got the download with some Club Nintendo points last year, began playing, then stopped for other games. Picked back up in my old save file and so far completing about one dungeon per day.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #782
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

I wound up downloading the Black Knight 2000 table for The Pinball Arcade on release day (July 15, 2014), and DAMN, does this table kick ass. Even though this particular table isn't overly cluttered, there is plenty of fast action that relies on faster-than-split-second timing. There are loop shots that award increasing point values for making them several times without interruption, and that's really where the challenge comes from.

Black Knight 2000 isn't a particularly high-scoring table, though. The highest-scoring non-jackpot shot is a hurry-up (or "countdown") shot activated from the upper play field to the left ramp on the lower field. The value tops out at 1.5 million, but requires completing several previous hurry-ups to achieve; the higher the starting score starts, the faster the value drops.

Oh, and the music? It's fucking awesome!

Yes. I dropped an F-bomb. Sue me.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #783
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Downloaded the Games With Gold selection for the end of July: BattleBlock Theater. So far, have beaten two worlds. Overall a decent game, but I'm not sure how committed I will be to finishing all 8 worlds. We shall see.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #784
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
I played a little bit of Sunless Sea over the weekend, after hearing a lot of praise for its writing. I knew going in that it was an Early Access game and that it wasn't complete yet, but I wasn't expecting to run into blocked off areas within hours of starting. I'm eager to play more, but I'll probably wait until the game officially launches.
The Steam page for this says it's not an alpha, it's a late stage beta with a huge amount of story content. I don't think I'll be buying any more early access games, but curious - did you just decide to stop playing when you saw the blocked areas or was there a lot to explore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QXZ View Post
I wound up downloading the Black Knight 2000 table for The Pinball Arcade on release day (July 15, 2014), and DAMN, does this table kick ass. Even though this particular table isn't overly cluttered, there is plenty of fast action that relies on faster-than-split-second timing. There are loop shots that award increasing point values for making them several times without interruption, and that's really where the challenge comes from.
Glad to hear it is good. I tried the original Black Knight table after your last post, as it turned out I had it, but didn't like it too much for the same reasons you like this one - too fast for me and too much space between the flippers
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 AM   #785
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Instead of playing my ever growing Steam and PS+ backlog i have been playing Nonograms Katana on my phone the past weeks.
It's free, although some bored consumer rights white knights tell me it's not. Because if it potentially costs something, it actually must cost something.
Nevertheless i payed 0.0€, so it was in fact free. Logic for five year olds.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #786
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
The Steam page for this says it's not an alpha, it's a late stage beta with a huge amount of story content. I don't think I'll be buying any more early access games, but curious - did you just decide to stop playing when you saw the blocked areas or was there a lot to explore?
Sunless Sea is a rogue-like that includes (optional) permadeath, and I stopped playing when I died about two hours in. There was plenty to explore. If the game hadn't specifically labeled a few of its islands as "unfinished" I would have just sailed by them assuming they were deserted rocks meant only as scenery. I wouldn't have even noticed the game was incomplete.

That was before I played Fallen London, though. It's getting harder and harder to remain patient when I know I can set sail at any time and explore more of that world. I'm a fan now, and much more willing to put up with early access eccentricities.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #787
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Thanks Zanbatou. It certainly looks interesting; I'm away this weekend so I've signed up for Fallen London and will hopefully get to play it a little on my phone.

I have been playing a lot of Don Bradman Cricket 14 (PS3) this week. I eventually had to turn the game down to Very Easy because it was absolutely impossible otherwise - a lot of factors need to be taken into account when hitting a shot, and my brain couldn't cope with them all.

Having played it so much now, and being comfortable with moving up to Easy, I am probably done with it for a while. The Career mode, which I am playing, is probably too much of a slog without reward - it's just match after match.

That said, the cricket is awesome and it is a very good game.

I also played a bit of OOTP Baseball (PC); having been sacked by the Padres after ten seasons and two World Championships, I took a job with the Angels so that I wouldn't have to move house. Their farm system was in such bad shape that even now, three years into the job, I still haven't promoted anyone to the big league team. Luckily the Angels have a massive budget so I could rebuild through free agency in the short term. Just got swept in the World Series by the D'backs and have traded all five starting pitchers (though it was my bats as usual that didn't turn up) in the first week of offseason.

I also had a bit of a go on Rogue Legacy (PS4) last night. It is tough, very tough. Definitely not my cup of tea but I couldn't stop playing it last night.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #788
Pedro
128-bit Poster

It has been Roguelike Week in my house. Well, not really, I have been away, but I have been casting about for something to play again and some cheap games came up for download:

Rogue Legacy (PS4): Rock hard and I do not seem to be improving at it.

Don't Starve (PS4): identify the way forward by, I guess, identifying what you can reasonably craft from the raw materials available. I forgot about the goddamned crafting. May go back to it for another look.....sometime.

The Road Not Taken (PS4 Freebie): The best of the bunch so far. Incredibly difficult, but a really interesting puzzle game. I just found out that you can resurrect yourself after dying (I thought you had to start from the start again) but I don't know how to do this yet, shrines or something. I have reached Level 6 out of 15 I think.

I'm not convinced by all these Roguelikes. Sure, I can see the appeal, which is mostly based in the challenge. And two out of the three above actually have goals (beside just staying alive for the longest time). But....I dunno.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:21 AM   #789
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Started Doki Doki Universe
Stopped 10 minutes afterwards. Super boring.
Similar like this Katamari game for the Vita.

I don't mind super simple gameplay and i have nothing against a presentation that's obviously aimed for (young) kids, but both ingredients at the same time is just too much.

Started Lone Survivor
Is it similar to ZombiU? Probably not in the mood for such a game right now. Will continue later....?

Started Lego Harry Potter Years ... whatever
I think Lego LotR was okay, but this game proves to me that you really have to love the used license to like the games. I can't care less for Potter, his gang and their Quidditch fetish and so the game just sucks and i won't bother to finish it.

Started Fez
I like it, although its mechanic seems to be not optimally tutorialed. Maybe its me but i just have the feeling if Nintendo would have done it, it would have felt more intuitive.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #790
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Agree on Lone Survivor - it is somehow very offputting to play.

I felt Fez was great in the end, just a nice game. However I made several false starts before I finally got in to it.

I have stopped with the roguelikes/lites. Life is just too short. Having been encouraged by my earlier experience with turn-based Shadowfall Returns, I bought Divinity Original Sin at full price. Very nice game, I absolutely played all the hours I could for the first three days and am maybe a bit burnt out on it now.

I was also struggling mightily as I only found the ice and water spell-vendors at first. Now that I have the fire-based spells and an extra spider, I'm winning fights pretty easily.

So a new lease of life for me with turn-based combat games (previously I avoided party-management games like the plague). Maybe I'll try Dragon Age again. *vomits*
Old 08-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #791
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I need to motivate myself in playing a single game. I have been jumping around with classics lately.

I should finish Assassins Creed: Black Flag. I played a lot back in January and put it down.

I would also like to play through the first two Dragon Age games before the third is released.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #792
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I'm planning on starting the Dragon Age games this weekend. I have high hopes for that series, based entirely on how much I enjoyed Mass Effect.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #793
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Dragon Age is a lot like Mass Effect in that the first one is drastically different than the second.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #794
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I am not really playing anything, I have been watching a lot of American Football Preseason (can anyone think of anything more futile?)

Madden and The Golf Club are out this week so I guess that is me for a while.

I have been slowly inching towards completing all the Standard table goals for Pinball Arcade Season 1. I have two tables left - Taxi and Star Trek; will probably just do Taxi, I dislike the other one.

It has been a lot of fun; I will buy Season 2 when it comes out for PS4. I cannot see myself doing the Wizard Goals for each table.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:49 AM   #795
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I haven't been playing much lately. Some Crusader Kings 2 before heading on holidays and Assetto Corsa since coming back.