About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 AM   #61
crackajack
32-bit Poster
 
crackajack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austria
Posts: 493
Rep Power: 5 crackajack will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I think you might have a bit different expectations to combat than Demon's Souls is ready to deliver.
Definitely. I had hoped for a game with a Diablo core with Condemned gameplay. That's more or less in it. But now i played it: better copied Zelda lock-on, added some Fight Night balancing and maybe also a little bit of a Gothic 1 class, fighting and upgrade system. And maybe also bits from Morrowind.
Quote:
I don't know how much actual sword combat you do or did.
I swing the axe 2 or 3 days a year for making firewood. Of course without wearing 50kg of armor.^^ I'm exhausted only after some hours and not after every single piece of wood. And i'm an office worker doing no sports. So a nature guy who feels the need to slay demons must be more trained than me.
Quote:
A complaint I do have about the stamina system in DS is that I don't get why you can't regenerate stamina while having the shield up. I guess balancing but I find that a bit odd.
It does regenerate!? But very slowly.
And i guess realism.
Only know that from a short boxing/close combat crash course i did while doing time at Bundesheer. Keeping your fists up and always ready to take a blow is hardly refreshing.
Almost no regeneration with just holding a shield compared to almost immediate full regeneration when still having it equipped makes not much sense. (as does unequipping armor that's then still in the inventory but being able to roll then with some smoothness)
It's already safe to say i won't like the balancing of the game ever.

Quote:
Well, unlike a character in leather armor you can take quite a beating in heavy armor.
By those fellows which attack with cheap swords, yes. They'd better increased difficulty there (those fights are boring) and lowered it with the huge bosses.

Quote:
I find it funny how anyone could see the tower knight stomping on a character and think "some armor should protect me from that".
It should protect me at least better from some dogs.

Quote:
DS allows different playstyles.
I'll see how much i can remain a Temple Knight without borrowing too much features of other classes...

Quote:
I could argue Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a bad game, since it doesn't allow me to complete it without jumping and I prefer a jump-free playstyle
If you want to play it as an RPG, then agreed!
But i suggest vvvvvv then.


Yesterdays project: Ignoring the tower knight and going back to the "normal", red eyed knight.
Took 3 tries and an endless sequence of retreat and hit maneuvers. And all i got is a lousy t-shirt. The bastard ate about a ton of those grass things before finally falling and drops 3 full moon grass. Awesome.
At least this fight was manageable, now with the spear weapon.
I guess i try the other worlds before i go to the tower knight again.

Last edited by crackajack; 07-13-2011 at 05:37 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #62
Li-Ion
Space Pirate
 
Li-Ion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampshire, England, UK, EU
Posts: 1,342
Rep Power: 8 Li-Ion will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
I swing the axe 2 or 3 days a year for making firewood. Of course without wearing 50kg of armor.^^ I'm exhausted only after some hours and not after every single piece of wood. And i'm an office worker doing no sports. So a nature guy who feels the need to slay demons must be more trained than me.
When chopping wood you put a new piece of wood on there after each swing I assume? Hardly the same as constant swinging for hours

Quote:
Only know that from a short boxing/close combat crash course i did while doing time at Bundesheer. Keeping your fists up and always ready to take a blow is hardly refreshing.
I don't know. I was doing Tae Kwon Do for years and standing there ready to block doesn't feel that much different from standing there not ready to block in a combat situation.

Quote:
(as does unequipping armor that's then still in the inventory but being able to roll then with some smoothness)
Well, every RPG under the sun is guilty of that crime. I remember having the inventory full with plate armor at one point in Baldurs Gate 2 being not much of a problem in combat.

Quote:
I'll see how much i can remain a Temple Knight without borrowing too much features of other classes...
You're pretty strict with your classes it seems. Maybe you should play DnD Online instead.

Quote:
Yesterdays project: Ignoring the tower knight and going back to the "normal", red eyed knight.
Dude, leave that guy alone for a while, you're dealing with red eyed knights soon enough
I would recommend doing the first boss of each area first, they tend to be pretty easy and you get some souls and gear. Then good luck with Flamelurker in 2-2, which you need to beat in order to upgrade weapons and armor
__________________
Currently playing: Assetto Corsa (PC)
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #63
crackajack
32-bit Poster
 
crackajack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austria
Posts: 493
Rep Power: 5 crackajack will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
When chopping wood you put a new piece of wood on there after each swing I assume? Hardly the same as constant swinging for hours
Sure, but lifting piece after piece gives me sore muscles in my back while my arms don't care at the end of the day. Constantly swinging is not really that hard. At least if you know how to do it, let the ax do the work.

Basically it doesn't matter if it's realistic, but it seems to me just like an awkward system. (thus Fight Night)

Quote:
I don't know. I was doing Tae Kwon Do for years and standing there ready to block doesn't feel that much different from standing there not ready to block in a combat situation.
Hey, we are talking about a game where the hero is fully exhausted after four blows with a dagger. So keeping his defense up is of course ultrahard for him, harder as for us real life heroes.

Quote:
Well, every RPG under the sun is guilty of that crime.
That's were my desire for Morrowind bits comes into the discussion. Afair my running speed is there completely dependent on the overall weight.

Quote:
You're pretty strict with your classes it seems.
Depends on the way a game introduces its own classes. If i start like in Gothic 1 as an undefined inmate and i decide in the course of the game what i learn, what i have to learn to survive my playstyle and what i don't learn then it's completely fine with me to create a mish-mash character who reacts to his world, but when the game lets me choose a character and i take my time to ponder what i want, how he looks, what his name is, then this choice should have an impact. If it's more or less unimportant they should not let me label him at the start.

Quote:
Dude, leave that guy alone for a while, you're dealing with red eyed knights soon enough
He was beatable while other attempts on the tower knight would have frustrated me even more. Leave me that success.
Quote:
I would recommend doing the first boss of each area first
That's the plan now.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #64
Li-Ion
Space Pirate
 
Li-Ion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampshire, England, UK, EU
Posts: 1,342
Rep Power: 8 Li-Ion will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
That's were my desire for Morrowind bits comes into the discussion. Afair my running speed is there completely dependent on the overall weight.
Interesting... I didn't notice that in Oblivion. But I only played for about 20 hours before I got fed up with the leveling system and my bard never carried that much around.

Quote:
Depends on the way a game introduces its own classes. If i start like in Gothic 1 as an undefined inmate and i decide in the course of the game what i learn, what i have to learn to survive my playstyle and what i don't learn then it's completely fine with me to create a mish-mash character who reacts to his world, but when the game lets me choose a character and i take my time to ponder what i want, how he looks, what his name is, then this choice should have an impact. If it's more or less unimportant they should not let me label him at the start.
Hm... I don't see the classes in DS as much as a mold but more as an origin. Like in Mass Effect 1 where you choose where your character is coming from (war hero, sole survivor, spacer, etc.). That makes it easier to identify myself with the character. The start as undefined inmate like in Gothic or Oblivion makes me struggle to get a connection to my avatar. That's what I liked about the beginning of Fallout 3, where I got some sense for the world and the people in it. Even though I got sick of it after Megaton. Coming back to DS: while I find character growth in many classic RPG pretty limited, I enjoyed the relative freedom to use whatever weapon or spell I see fit as long as my stats are high enough. And even for weapons were they aren't, like the meat cleaver, I can still use them two-handed to great effect.

Quote:
He was beatable while other attempts on the tower knight would have frustrated me even more. Leave me that success.
Congratulations

Now have some fun with the black skeletons
__________________
Currently playing: Assetto Corsa (PC)
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #65
RandomRob
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,050
Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Finally picked up Radiant Historia, it's my current bedtime game 5 hours in.. liking it so far!
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #66
JLB1987
Sex machine
 
JLB1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dorset, England
Posts: 442
Rep Power: 5 JLB1987 is on a distinguished road
Re: What are you playing right now?

Took the plunge with Minecraft. Felt kinda funny paying for (what the creators describe as) a beta version of the game, but it's cheaper than the final version will be so I felt it was fair.

I really enjoyed Terraria, which has been described as a 2D version of Minecraft. I think I prefer Minecraft overall; it's got less "traditional" gameplay elements in it, but overall, whilst the Metroidvania-style action in Terraria is great fun, for pure creation MC has the edge. Love it so far.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #67
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner
 
Chi Kong Lui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Nutley, NJ
Posts: 4,770
Rep Power: 22 Chi Kong Lui is on a distinguished road
Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Finally picked up Radiant Historia, it's my current bedtime game 5 hours in.. liking it so far!
This is one of the game's on my radar for purchase. Tell me more about it. What's the gameplay like?

Me, I'm knee deep in Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. This is the game that keep on giving. I thought I'd be finished with it by now, but it just won't end. I'm getting tons of content and its nearly paid for half my 3DS in gameplay.
__________________
Twitter: gamecritics
Chi Kong Lui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #68
RandomRob
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,050
Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

The gameplay is very narrative based. I like the characters. Alot of early discussion about changing the present. Each chapter has a changeable focal point you can go back to, later. Alot of replay potential, there. The combat is pretty functional, standard, grid-based. Nothing really innovative, there, but nothing unfamiliar, either.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #69
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon
 
frogofdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Trashville
Posts: 997
Rep Power: 14 frogofdeath is on a distinguished road
Re: What are you playing right now?

Undead Nightmare (360) One of Live's deals of the week. Just began, liking it so far. Digging the different play strategy needed compared to Red Dead.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #70
Pedro
64-bit Poster
 
Pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 975
Rep Power: 5 Pedro will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Not playing anything as I'm travelling with work. I have S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on my laptop but dunno if I can muster the enthusiasm for it.

Before I left I had an immense time with Madden 10 though. What a game! It was a huge challenge to get to grips with, but I'm now in an online league and it's really rewarding.

Will probbaly get Madden 12 on the back of it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #71
Li-Ion
Space Pirate
 
Li-Ion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampshire, England, UK, EU
Posts: 1,342
Rep Power: 8 Li-Ion will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Still playing Assassins Creed 2 and enjoying it quite a bit. Running over rooftops, jumping down to stab people in the back, throw a smokebomb and jumping back to the rooftops. It's a bit like a renaissance-themed version of mario brothers at times (with one very obvious reference ). Being maybe 8 hours in, this is how I hoped Assassins Creed 1 would have been. In AC1 I was running over rooftops thinking "that would be a great game if I could actually do stuff".
__________________
Currently playing: Assetto Corsa (PC)
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #72
RandomRob
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,050
Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Split/Second on PC. Got it running at a pretty decent clip. Mindless explodey fun.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #73
Li-Ion
Space Pirate
 
Li-Ion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampshire, England, UK, EU
Posts: 1,342
Rep Power: 8 Li-Ion will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Just played a bit Vanquish again. So much fun
__________________
Currently playing: Assetto Corsa (PC)
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #74
Kin Korn Karn
Moderator
 
Kin Korn Karn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,765
Rep Power: 20 Kin Korn Karn will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Still playing Assassins Creed 2 and enjoying it quite a bit. Running over rooftops, jumping down to stab people in the back, throw a smokebomb and jumping back to the rooftops. It's a bit like a renaissance-themed version of mario brothers at times (with one very obvious reference ). Being maybe 8 hours in, this is how I hoped Assassins Creed 1 would have been. In AC1 I was running over rooftops thinking "that would be a great game if I could actually do stuff".
I really enjoyed AC2, and for the same reasons you state. After having played the first 3-4 hours of AC:Brotherhood I'm pretty sure that AC2 is the best of the series. Enjoy!
__________________
He who reads this is a fools folly.
Live Gamer Tag: Craig T Vector
PSN Gamer Tag: Craig_T_Vector
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #75
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster
 
Zanbatou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 730
Rep Power: 14 Zanbatou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: What are you playing right now?

I just spent more money on Mass Effect 2 dlc than I spent on the entire actual game. It was more than I spent on both ME1 and ME2 put together, come to think of it. I hope it's worth it.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 07-20-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
About Us | Privacy Policy | Review Game | FAQ | Contact Us | Twitter | Facebook |  RSS
Copyright 1999-2010 GameCritics.com. All rights reserved.