About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #676
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

Haha, sign me up too. Pedro 'Chopper' McManus...not my real name

I look forward to news of my gruesome death.

I don't know anything about the game, is it just like a mod to the original? I will look it up.

Played half an hour of State of Decay (PC). Bit early to say anything about it yet.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #677
JLB1987
Sex machine

State of Decay is great, really need to get back to playing it. Gave up after buying it at launch, but it's apparently been patched up nicely since.

GTA Online. Sticking at this badboy. I'm at level 31, and feel qualified to give a proper opinion on it...

Lots of little annoyances which could be fixed. Things like auto-aim and whether players are visible on the mini-map should be optional, and is a real step-back since RDR and MP3. Deathmatch is as simple as being patient, staying hidden and pressing the "aim" button to automatically lock-on to any opponents you can see. It would be the difference between deathmatch being worth playing, and it being the chore it currently is. Also, inviting players is a pain. You can only invite people to your game if you are the host. If you have simply joined, there is no way to invite friends and crew members, which is ridiculous. Even if you are the host, getting players to join is temperamental, at best.

Racing is brilliant fun, even if half the players do try and just ram you off the road- if you're smart, you can play this to your advantage, and four times out of five I manage to turn things around on these idiots. The car controls are great anyway, so as a racing game, GTAV is satisfactory. Some of the situations you can get into with other players during free roam are brilliant, too. Having two guys try to troll me, and me having no trouble taking them both out over and over is one highlight so far.

So much to talk about, but overall, I'm very happy with Online.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #678
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Fair play. The lads on that Guardian blog 'the Chatterbox' have been raving about GTAVO since it came out (I don't read it any more really but my brother is keeping me up to date). They are just now getting tired of it, it seems. Loads of emergent gameplay and big lulz apparently.

Ok, I have just spent 30 Euros on the Pinball Arcade Season 1 tables. I hate Pinball. I'm still trying to get the Harem Multiball goal on Tales of the Arabian Nights

I lost my Madden Championship Game tonight too. They guy I was playing was in Australia and the input lag was atrocious. I was already 7-0 down when I realised (pick six on the first play of the game) so I didn't want to come across as having sour grapes...ah well!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #679
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Ok, I have just spent 30 Euros on the Pinball Arcade Season 1 tables. I hate Pinball. I'm still trying to get the Harem Multiball goal on Tales of the Arabian Nights
Hm. I seem to recall that the Harem Multiball mode requires five shots through the left loop. Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly what causes the loop to give credit toward Harem Multiball.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #680
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yeah, I finally looked for hints online last night (no idea why I didn't do this before) and it turns out that you can cradle the ball on the right flipper, and if you don't trigger the secret ball lock, and don't hit the genie, then the harem light eventually cycles on and you can try and hit it. It's still incredibly difficult to make that shot but it's a start.

I had been just hoping to eventually play long enough to get them in the course of play but no cigar with that method..

I enjoyed the Bride of Pinbot and the Genie tables last night. I had a big grin when playing BoP, amusing.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #681
JLB1987
Sex machine

Hotline Miami

Masterpiece. Most of the flaws I've read about are negated by the fact that, as soon as you die, you're put right back in anyway. And the "temperamental" AI can work to your advantage, as much as your disadvantage. I was skeptical about the keyboard and mouse controls after having a quick go on my friend's PS3 version, but I feel K&M are slightly superior. Weird game, really enjoying it. And the character portraits are the stuff of nightmares.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #682
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I just hit the 300 hour mark on Skyrim, and I'm still going strong.

I've been playing with the "Vilja in Skyrim" mod lately. Vilja is one of the most consistently surprising AI characters I've ever seen in a game. Now, Vilja does have over 5000 lines of dialog and she never stops talking, so it's possible some of what I'm interpreting as situational awareness is actually just random chance... but still. It's incredibly impressive. She feels way more alive than any of the other characters in Skyrim.

Some of my favorite moments so far:

A deer ran by, and she said "Aww.. I love the deer in Skyrim. They're so beautiful... and they taste delicious".

We were trying to sneak past some bandits, and I talked to Vilja to tell her to "wait here" for a minute while I scouted ahead. She replied the same way she normally would to this conversation, except this time everything she said was whispered.

While walking between towns with Vilja and Lydia (a companion from the base Skyrim game), the two of them had a back and forth conversation about adventuring on their own that lasted for minutes. Lydia's dialog was all pieced together from sound files that exist elsewhere in the game.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 11-21-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #683
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Hotline Miami
Masterpiece.
Isn't it? Very impressed by HM, and the music...

The original game was 15 levels, and then there are 4 or 5 more that were DLC or additional content. The real game ends at level 15, just an FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
I just hit the 300 hour mark on Skyrim, and I'm still going strong.
But, but.....what about Beyond: Two Souls?

I haven't been playing anything. We're in offseason in Madden and I've been studying spreadsheets of players in Free Agency and the Draft. Lots of fun since you ask!

For the record I had a good FA and a terrible Draft. I only got one good guy, and he's only good if you squint.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #684
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
But, but.....what about Beyond: Two Souls?
My sister (who is generally not at all interested in video games) ended up watching me play Beyond: Two Souls for hours, and now I'm not allowed to play it without her. It might be awhile before we get a chance to finish it together.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #685
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I am playing Zelda: Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D World.

Both games are as expected. Zelda feels like Link to the Past Second Quest. Same overworld and everything. I am not too far so I am waiting for surprises.

Mario 3D World is the same as 3D Land just in HD. The best feature is getting to play as Mario, Luigi, Toad, or the princess and they have their abilities from Mario 2. Great level design as always.

I played a little of Tearaway and Puppeteer. I like Tearaway a lot. Puppeteer has great visuels/ art direction, but the gameplay is just okay so far.
abfackeln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #686
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I overcame my inhibitions and started up State of Decay (PC) again, and whaddya know, it's actually a pretty great game.

Zombie outbreak, yada, but the whole emphasis is on building up your base (building defences, sleeping quarters, workshops etc), gathering survivors and keeping them happy, while advancing the game through story missions. The story and characters aren't that exciting - they are blank slates that, however, don't really work for you filling in the blanks or projecting your own story onto. However the game is solid, has a great open world, and providing for your survivors is very addictive (I'm reaching full capacity on my first base so will have to work towards moving to a bigger place far across the map).

Doesn't seem to be too buggy at this stage and can be played with keyboard and mouse at last.

Recommended. It's excellent.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #687
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Got a crunch Madden game in an hour's time - I'm 2-2 on the season and have a tough schedule so they are all crunch now.

After that I am looking forward to starting The Stanley Parable and not looking forward to starting Papers Please!

I bought the State of Decay DLC and it looks like it is significantly more difficult than the base game, though that may be because I have established my first base in The Alamo in downtown Marshall. Zombie Hordes ahoy!

I did not buy Gran Turismo 6 in the end. The reviews were all WEIRD, and at the end of the day I was not convinced that this game was any different to GT5. Reading about the long loading times was the final nail in its coffin.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #688
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I played several in-game days worth of Papers, Please. As the amount of things I had to cross-reference mounted, all I could think was, This is a pain in the ass.

Don't think I'll be going back to it.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #689
Pedro
64-bit Poster

First game of 2014: I am playing Hammerwatch (PC) a Gauntlet-a-like. Very good fun, though I am playing single player and it supports 4-player co-op.

It is €3 on Steam for another 21 hours

This dude appears to have 76 lives.

Actually...this explains it a bit better:

Update: The boss at the end of the first act seems impossible. I think I'm stuck there, so beware if you are not the best games player in the world ever.

Update 2: Beat the boss, but had to restart on Medium difficulty to do so. The game suffers a wee bit as Medium is a bit too easy for the game proper, whereas Hard is just right for the dungeons but makes the boss part almost impossible. Greatly enjoying this game though.

Last edited by Pedro; 01-05-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #690
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Just finished Hammerwatch (above) and in between dungeon crawling, I gave Dayz a go.

I had my reservations for all the usual reasons, but I'm glad I gave it a shot. My first character was brutally gunned down by an unseen assailant, and my second character is keeping his head down and slowly getting stuff together. This is Jim:

He is carrying a large axe, but hasn't found a gun for that holster yet. He is perpetually thirsty.

It is buggy - my first character was dying from thirst when he was shot. She'd found a canteen (to carry water) but when filling it at a well it fell through the world, which was annoying. Jim found a rifle (the only gun I have seen) but connection issues where the server wasn't responding meant he couldn't pick it up.

I'm mostly playing on underpopulated servers and staying away from towns till I get a feel for it. I don't have a mike so any encounter with other players will probably result in Jim's death. He has killed several zombies and has had to bandage himself up once. I can see the main issue being, if you're not into the deathmatch stuff, then there isn't a lot else to do once you get yourself the equipment that enables you to survive.