About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #661
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What are you playing right now?

I haven't played the GT6 demo, but the GT-experience is nothing I see delivered properly in a demo. I spend almost as much time gazing at cars and choosing which colour to buy them in as I do racing on the track

I pre-ordered GT6, which is my other pre-order, next to Dark Souls 2.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #662
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Hotline Miami on PS3 is rather good. I'm on level 8 now.

I was looking through the trophies for Lost Planet 3 last night and I may give it one more try before taking it to trade today. I would like to see where the story goes.

I'm in the Group of Death in my new Madden League and have a crunch game this evening. I'll be practicing for that today (and losing it at about 7pm).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #663
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I am completely engulfed by GT5 again. Trying to find the fitting cars to finish all A-Spec events. Finally found a second hand pick up truck to get one of the amateur challenges. Now I 'just' need to earn another 16 mio to buy a Ferrari 440 P4 race car for classic race car events. I am logging in with my Dutch account to PSN again in order to do seasonal events since it wouldn't let me log into a UK account. Still pissed off about PSN.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #664
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Still playing GT5, got my Ferrari 440 P4 race car now for the bargain price of 20.000.000 Spacecyberbucks or whatever currency GT has. Finally could complete all Expert-Races thanks to that. Took me about 5 or 6 attempts for the first race. Problem number one was to get to grips with the car that handles like a bronco on speed if you hit the accelerator too hard around corners. Problem number two were some of the race cars racing against me that were just ridiculously fast on long stretches. My only chance of winning that race was in making sure I'm around the corner quicker (see problem one), why I had to adjust the car a bit in order to improve cornering speed. The race was quite tense, with me getting ahead quite quickly but noticing how two drivers were overtaking rather rapid as well. Around halfway through the race a Chaparral 2J (a.k.a. vacuum cleaner) was hot on my heels and melting away my meager 2 seconds lead. I managed to stay ahead especially thanks to a rather courageous cornering strategy just to notice another way too fast race car at my rear. With about 0.1something seconds I won the race. The second race in that series in what is essentially Monaco was much easier for some reason. The Chaparral and the Toyota race cars from 1970 that were such a pain the first time around dropped places and ended up last, with a Jaguar giving me a run for the trophy in that one.

Next: NASCAR or the Japanese GT500 series? I already did the German touring car series DTM.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #665
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I just bought a PS3 last night. It took the entire generation minus one week for the system to finally accumulate enough exclusives to trigger a purchase (I do most of my gaming on a PC).

I started with Beyond: Two Souls. I expect it to be a thoroughly infuriating game, but right now I'm in the exact right mood to enjoy it. I'm only about two hours in, but so far I think the game is great (or at least interesting) when it's doing its own thing, and terrible when it's trying to be an action game. I'm tired of blowing up helicopters in games, please let me go back to being an awkward girl trying to fit in at a birthday party.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 11-08-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #666
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
I just bought a PS3 last night. It took the entire generation minus one week for the system to finally accumulate enough exclusives to trigger a purchase (I do most of my gaming on a PC).

I had a quick look at the list of PS3 exclusives and was surprised to see that there really wasn't much there that I was interested in. The whole exclusive thing is a little overblown, it seems.

However you have chosen a good one to start with! I really enjoyed Beyond: Two Souls. Sure, it was cheesy and made some mistakes. The awkward girl growing up thing was incredibly well done, and I think your choices throughout the game make you feel part of that (for example at the birthday party). There's a lot more to come, will be interested to hear some of your decisions! Make sure you explore each area thoroughly too, there's not a lot to find but the game rewards taking it slow and there are some things that can be overlooked.

I actually enjoyed the later action sequences - they were straight out of a 70's James Bond film, some of them. Probably misplaced, but reasonably fun.

Li-Ion, I was looking up the Chapparal and found these (I'll not embed them out of courtesy to everyone else!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZkUr5cG6wE

And this one is crazy - all that time and expense...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScBCoOv50dA

I am playing Tomb Raider 2013. It's ok, verrrrryyyy cinematic even down to showing drops of rain on the camera. Most of my deaths so far have been when someone has jumped out from behind a tree and I've failed a QTE. Is this what games are now? I feel like I've been playing one big QTE for the last month.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #667
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Urrggh. I can't say this for sure, but I think Tomb Raider 2013 gave me motion sickness yesterday. Had to go to bed early, with a headache and nausea.

I could be doing it a disservice, but I think the amount of times the game flings Lara up in the air, down chutes, from collapsing bridges, and out of buildings and trees, made me motion sick.

I can't prove anything, but as the game itself is pretty terrible anyway, I'm probably done with it. The camera was very restrictive, giving maybe 30 degrees either side of Lara as its field of view. Sometimes I couldn't tell when I was controlling Lara and the game was - it took away control in many places. A lot of the game, most of it really, revolved around the visual spectacle. For example you have to teeter across logs spanning chasms quite a lot, giving a nice vertiginous effect, but it's not physically possible to fall off the log, so it's all just effect.

Style over substance, definitely.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #668
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Picked it up for free with Club Nintendo points. First time I've ever played this classic SNES. So far, so good - just finished the master sword quest. I will say, this is the hardest Zelda game I've played. I've died numerous times, mostly just out wandering Hyrule or a dungeon. Only complaint I have is there seems to be a slight delay in the controls on the Wii, mostly in the attack buttons. Of course maybe my hand-eye coordination is just deteriorating!
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #669
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Still playing GT5, finished NASCAR and GT500 Series plus some online challenges (Pagani Zonda is a beast!) and now slowly run out of races that can be finished within half an hour

But since XCOM Enemy Within is coming out this week that might not be a problem...
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #670
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

I've actually returned to Call of Duty: Black Ops II. I feel sheepish for admitting this, but I actually did go back to the multiplayer components recently, mainly because there was a double experience points period in late October. After 40 more hours of competitive multiplayer (combined total of 200), I'm not likely going to return until either (a) there's another double XP weekend, or (b) some of my PSN friends are online.

Having said that, I have officially started in on the campaign mode, and... yeah. I'm probably about seven missions and three hours into it, and I can't say that I'm overly impressed. The main run-and-gun is still the same linear, scripted nonsense that's been present in previous games -- "go here", "follow this guy", inflexible stealth segments, and the like. The Strike Force missions -- side quests that combine FPS and real-time-strategy, and can be switched on the fly -- sound great on paper, but I don't think the execution works properly. The RTS interface is rather confusing, and I've found myself being more successful when playing through them in first-person mode.

One thing that I will say I like about BO2, though, is that there are records kept on mission successes and failures. Though I can't say anything about their current effect.

Zombies mode hasn't been touched yet. For some reason, there's a conflict between my game disc and my PS# which prevents the game from even loading.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #671
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Started playing Battle Worlds: Kronos, the recently kick-started turn-based strategy game. It's definitely inspired by the old Battle Isle and History Line games, as well as Advance Wars. In the first missions there are already a nice number of units involved and apparently the later missions involve massive armies. The AI is pretty good, albeit a tad to aggressive for it's own good. I could already lure the AI in a number of ambushes and lure them away from my main line with cheap, sacrifical units.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #672
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Still playing GT5, finished NASCAR and GT500 Series plus some online challenges (Pagani Zonda is a beast!) and now slowly run out of races that can be finished within half an hour
I think you should do Le Mans etc. You can take spells at it, it should only take eight days if you do one 3 hour session per day...

QXZ

lol. Admit it, you are hopelessly addicted to Blops2 and are living in denial.

I played my Madden Divisional Game (essentially the quarter finals for Europe people) against the Bengals tonight and won! Need to win one more game to get to the Superbowl. Narrowly beat the Bengals, who trounced me during the regular season. Over the moon!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #673
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
QXZ

lol. Admit it, you are hopelessly addicted to Blops2 and are living in denial.
I don't think so. If you were to go back a few pages, you might discover that, before yesterday, my last post regarding Black Ops 2 was in mid-July. Again, I stated that the only reason I recently returned to BO2 was for the recent double-XP weekend and to play through the campaign mode.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #674
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

It would never occur to me to return to a multiplayer game I don't like just because of a double-XP weekend, just sayin'

What does occur to me is that amazon just dispatched my copy of XCOM Enemy Within, which should arrive tomorrow and with a bit of luck I'll be saving the world from this weekend on. Mission by mission, one Sectoid at a time.

Anyone want to sign up for my save the world squad? I'll let you know how your avatar fares and if (or when) they die heroically to stop the alien menace I'm playing with the idea of e.g. calling one of my assaults Mike Bracken, always charging in to unleash the horror onto his enemies. Brad Gallaway sniping from afar, with his ability to get a new angle on every target. Richard Naik will of course be a heavy, channeling the Team Fortress 2 spirit with his rocket launcher. With the fearless leader Chi Kong Lui and his love for Transformers being an obvious choice for the new MEC troopers, Daniel Weissenberger will provide fire support and as veteran of many survival horror games knows how to handle a medpack. Tim 'Too Human' Spaeth will become my first to be genetically enhanced (given he survives that long), just not sure which class yet...

Last edited by Li-Ion; 11-14-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #675
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Sign me up!

I always start X-Com games by naming my soldiers after my closest friends and family members, because they're the first people I think of. But the casualty rate is so high in those games that by the time I find my footing everyone I know well has already died. It ends up being siblings of old high school friends and gamecritics forum members who save the world.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 11-14-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote