About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #646
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

Bonjour!

I'm back from my holidays, and picked up GTAV this morning. And man, I don't want to be negative, but it's pretty dull so far.

1) It's 65 Euros! I almost didn't get it when I saw this in Gamestop. A terrible new precedent.
2) It is pretty much identical to GTA4 so far - drive to mission, crash half a dozen times, shoot the place up a bit, back to base.

Not enjoying it too much so far. The dialogue is good, not a lot else. I expect it will get a bit better once I unlock more weapons etc. But there's been a lot of 'chase this guy on his motorbike', 'chase this guy on foot' type stuff so far.

I might download that Brothers game and play it for a while instead.

We need to start up the 'best of this generation' thread soon too!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #647
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Assassin's Creed III I've been looking forward to playing this game since it came out. Picked it up when it finally hit my price point. Glad I waited, as so far this game is one big disappointment. Graphics look "old" already and controls are shoddy. The biggest selling point for me, the setting, is also a bust. I don't mind faux history, but the "cause" of the Boston Massacre made me think, "uh, yeah....riiiight...."
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #648
Pedro
64-bit Poster

We should call this section, what are you NOT playing right now.

I traded GTAV for 45 bucks after three hours or so playtime, and I got the new Xcom FPS game (40 bucks) and picked up a used copy of Enslaved again for a fiver so that I could play Pigsy's Perfect 10 which I downloaded ages ago.

So I'm not playing those.

I have this idea that when the PS4 comes out, I'll buy a reduced price PS3 (my own one makes a clicking sound at times now, which can't be good) and start assembling a bunch of classic games for it that I'll enjoy replaying.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #649
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I'm playing "Playstation Network really doesn't want you to move country" at the moment. Apparently it's not possible to simply switch the country with PSN, instead I'd have to make a new profile with a new PSN account, meaning loosing all my savegames, settings, friendslist etc.

Dear Sony:
THIS SUCKS

I wanted to register my new credit card with my old account to buy some stuff in the PSN store, but ran into tons of troubles. And I don't feel like switching profiles every time I want to play one of my older games from where I left off. As a result I'm generally annoyed with PSN right now and don't play much. No playing games on PC at the moment either, waiting for a replacement for my primary hard disc to arrive.

One thing I do play is Sid Meier's Ace Patrol on iOS, which is a surprisingly fun little WW1 aircraft tactics game. If you can talk about "fun" when talking WW1. I'm not sure much I'd enjoy it on the big screen, but in small bite-sized chunks on the go it's a blast. Two thumbs up.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #650
JLB1987
Sex machine

GTA V

Good so far, but not the perfect game many have been painting it out as. Played about three hours, so I likely haven't put enough time in yet.

Seems like an expanded version of 4, tbh. Everything in that game was done better, but aside from more side missions and the character switching, nothing has really changed.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #651
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I've played the first hour or two of Lost Planet 3.

Verrrryy pleasantly surprised; there's a great vibe about the game and it has been very impressive so far. I guess I'm still in the tutorial missions but I can't fault the game right now.

I strongly suspect the main review outlets of bias against these middle of the road titles.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #652
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Well, it's taken a turn for the worse. QTEs, and plenty of them.

Who, who thinks it's a good idea to tap X rapidly to hold off an insect, then move a jumpy targetting reticule with the right stick, and when it is in place, hit Square to knife the bug in the mouth?

Try it out on your gamepad, it's awful. And then do that multiple times per insect?

Another game turned down to Easy.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #653
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Thanks for mentioning the QTEs. I almost bought Lost Planet 3 last weekend based entirely on Brad's Review (he's got a really good track record), but now it's clear I have some more research to do. It looks like enemies all have glowing weak points too... That's not a good sign either.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #654
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yeah, to be honest it's not a game breaker. However the QTEs have a habit of popping up at the worst moments - I had to redo a section last night because one caught me by surprise and I fell off a ledge to my death. The nature of them is the most annoying thing - keep pounding X or A until you fill up a little gauge. *gets angry just thinking about it*

You're correct about shooting the glowing bits, another thing I hate. It doesn't seem too bad either, the one mini boss battle I have had was entertaining enough and I'll not spoil it if you're thinking of getting the game. It was inventive with the glowing spots though!

Jury is still out, I'm going to play a bit more now.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #655
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Right. Fuck you, Lost Planet 3. Fuuuuucck you.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #656
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I see the initial interest waned?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #657
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Funny thing is, I'm still interested. I'd love to finish the game. But when I wrote that, I had barely stopped myself ejecting the disc and snapping it in two. No exaggeration.

The key phrase in Brad's review is that the boss battles go on just a shade too long. It's more than a shade IMO. They've actually got a pretty good game here, and ruined it by putting in a lot of reflex based dodging/QTEing, precision shooting of elbows and knee joints, and boss battles that go on twice as long as I'd like.

That's personal preference of course.

I'm currently working my way through an area where the same boss launches four attacks on you at different points. I'm now in a small rectangular open area and this guy is sat on the side of it whaling on me. He can crush me with his left claw, his right claw, punch me by shooting out his tongue, and actually leaning in and biting me if I get too close. The attacks are flagged, but my movement is too sluggish to avoid them. Added to that, every so often he shoots four baby aliens into the arena along with me, the fast skittering type, and the viewpoint changes to a top down view so I can shoot these little bastards. All the time I have to shoot him on a certain point on his head (admittedly an unusually large area). He might be called the Bullet Sponge Monster, I'm not sure.

It's enormously frustrating and basically life's too short. A shame, because the game does so much right.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #658
Pedro
64-bit Poster

It's up on the shelf for trading now, possibly against Lara Croft.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #659
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I'm back to playing Gran Turismo 5, reached level 25 and had a glimpse at endurance events. I gather they are the top tier of A-spec racing? They better be, with things like 24h races of Le Mans and Nürburgring on display. I doubt I will ever attempt one of those. Driving the Red Bull X2010 was stressful enough. Suddenly the game played more like a modern version of F-Zero. Most fun I had with my good old Ferrari 458 though, as well as with some classic car races with my newly bought Mercedes 300SL (1954). Now I'm trying to scrape some money together for a Pagani Zonda.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #660
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Hmm. The GT6 demo kind of put me off getting GT6. Sounds like you're having fun with 5.

I am trying out Hotline Miami on PS3 after bouncing off it on PC. I like it a lot but am only on Level 4. Those goddamn dogs...