About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #601
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: What are you playing right now?

Bought Far Cry: Blood Dragon. Seems pretty fun so far, certainly having a better time with it than I did Far Cry 2. Action is solid enough, and I really like the neon-drenched setting. Don't really find the humour funny- it mostly consists of references to various 80s films and TV programmes, and and the humour relies on one "getting" these dated references. Is this an actual form of comedy? Do people find references to things of yesteryear amusing? I guess Peter Kay has a stand-up career, so they must do. The whole dated futuristic vision is very well done though.

However, had to put a stop to that, as I am now renting the base Far Cry 3 game itself. Enjoying it, but am being cautious- took around ten hours on FC2 to realise just how awful I thought it was. The enemies spawning at checkpoint problem seems to be resolved, in that there don't appear to be fixed checkpoints. Also, liberating areas prevents enemies from spawning nearby. The setting is beautiful.

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #602
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Surprisingly addicted to Animal Crossing New Leaf. The original Animal Crossing was very hot on the Game Critics board back in the day and I just couldn't get into it. Maybe New Leaf is more accessible to me because it is a portable title.

Played a little bit of The Last of Us. Good so far, but not sucked in. Waiting to pass judgment when I get to play more. So far it is the typical modern video game of cut scene, linear path, cover based shooting, repeat.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #603
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
I am now renting the base Far Cry 3 game itself. Enjoying it, but am being cautious- took around ten hours on FC2 to realise just how awful I thought it was. The enemies spawning at checkpoint problem seems to be resolved, in that there don't appear to be fixed checkpoints. Also, liberating areas prevents enemies from spawning nearby. The setting is beautiful.
3 or 5 day rental? In fairness, the game could shine in that period, you won't have long to get sick of it.

Plus you don't have my Far Cry 2 baggage, so you can enjoy it for what it is, but I stand by my opinion that it is a terrible game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Played a little bit of The Last of Us. Good so far, but not sucked in. Waiting to pass judgment when I get to play more. So far it is the typical modern video game of cut scene, linear path, cover based shooting, repeat.
The actual gameplay, though incredibly well executed, isn't great, but the whole package is really good. Perhaps if you like stealth, it's an amazing game.

For me it picked up big-time when I got the shotgun. Fuck you, Stealth!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #604
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Oh, and I also got past the bit I was stuck on in LotR: War in the North, by joining another player's game who was just starting that level. The three of us really showed those orcs who was boss. Thanks luigi1981 and KRIMINAL_RASTA. Lol

I also realised that I didn't put any points into health since I started (now level 19). No wonder I've been getting one-shotted all over the place.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #605
JLB1987
Sex machine

As far as I know, it's indefinite- we're with Lovefilm, so I can have one game at a time, for as long as I want each time.

I'm going to have to consider going back to FC2 at some point, give it another try. But it dawned on me today, the reason I'm enjoying 3 so much is because there is this huge world to explore- and this time, there's actually cool shit to do in it! The one thing I do miss from FC2 is everything happening in real time- I don't have to go into a separate map screen to look at the map, which was infinitely more helpful than having to load a separate screen for that stuff this time round. There's no sat-nav style guide on the map when you set a waypoint, so I'm finding myself having to open the map a few times even on a relatively short journey. Also, I haven't really seen any fire effects yet. Just before I stopped playing FC2, that was the reason I kept going back to it. That, and the awesome buddy system, which hasn't made an appearance here so far.

There are a couple of other things that bug me. For example, being able to tag enemies on your camera and then see silhouettes of them even if they're behind something just seems cheap. And I'm playing on hard mode. It's excusable in Blood Dragon, you're playing as a cybernetic soldier guy.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #606
JLB1987
Sex machine

I'm currently sat around at ridiculous o'clock, waiting for my cat to give birth. Why does the miracle of life have to happen at half four in the morning?

Anyway, further thoughts on Far Cry 3- every time I play it, it cements my opinion that it's everything I expected of 2, yet failed to deliver. Example- I decided to rid a nearby camp of enemies, since it was more or less on my way to something else I was doing. I scanned the surrounding area, trying to get a reliable count of how many pirates were occupying the base- six of them. Just as I was about to hit them silently with my crossbow, I heard shouts, and then gun fire. They had spotted a tiger near the main entrance, the other side of where I planned on infiltrating the camp. Whilst they were preoccupied, I disabled the alarm, and waited on one of the roofs. Eventually the tiger ran away, and the remaining pirates returned- only three left. Took them down silently with ease.

Another example happned in an instant- I was tearing along the road in a jeep, when a deer ran across, followed by a tiger chasing it. Accidently hit the tiger whilst attempting to swerve out the way (I love the vehicle handling- difficult to master, and weighty, like it should be). Some accidental woodland justice, and a free tiger skin for me.

I'm still being overly cautious each time I go to play this, but it's looking really positive so far.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #607
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Woodland Justice would be a good name for a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Anyway, further thoughts on Far Cry 3- every time I play it, it cements my opinion that it's everything I expected of 2, yet failed to deliver.
You are dead to me.

How is the cat?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #608
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Been participating in a Starcraft 2 tournament and got washed out in the qualifier with all games lost
Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #609
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
How is the cat?
A terrible mother, lol. She's fine and healthy, but one of the kittens was a stillborn, which was upsetting. Would have thought my recent forays with FC3 games would have desensitized me by now!! Thanks for asking

Far Cry 2 could have been amazing. I still remember that message at the beginning, along the lines of "the jackal is out there somewhere, find him."

Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #610
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Been participating in a Starcraft 2 tournament and got washed out in the qualifier with all games lost
Tell us more. Starcraft 1 or 2? Do you have history? What's the tournament like?

I have been playing Demon's Souls.
Did the 3-1 Tower of Latria today and it was fun though easy. Manhunter next, so we'll see if it stays that way.

Also, Top Spin 4. This is the easily pick-upable sports game that the folks on the podcast were looking for. Indeed, it may be too easy - I have won a couple of tournaments on the minor tour by using only one shot, basically. I guess it will get a lot harder soon enough.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #611
Pedro
128-bit Poster

The Need for Speed NFS Street tips thread is 147 pages long!

147 pages of people asking, 'How do I do a wheelie' by the looks of it.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #612
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Tried out the Gran Turismo 6 demo on Friday; the car physics have been improved (basically the car rocks as you corner or swerve) but much the same as before for the rest. I found the loading times to still take a long time, and also the environments to retain their sterility and can't get away from the feeling that you are stuck in the centre of the screen while the track reels past you on a spindle.

Facing a long period of Dodgers domination, my Padres beat the odds and won the 2026 World Series in OOTPB13 from the Wild Card qualifying position, sweeping the Dodgers along the way; third World Series in 14 years. It is still challenging, great stuff.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #613
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Demon's Souls, to realize how much better Dark Souls is on almost every level. The most infuriating thing is probably the speed by which the character is climbing ladders. Scaling the K2 goes faster than that. Also, I'm missing the bonfires, jumping and estus flasks.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #614
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Am I doing this right?

Old 07-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #615
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by little things like that? One thing that's annoying me since inception of gaming are doors that serve no function. A door that cannot be opened or interacted with should not be in a game.