About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #496
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: What are you playing right now?

Started playing The Walking Dead again (the good one, not the one that's just been released), after only having finished the first episode previously. I've now completed the second, and it was brilliant. The "twist" near the end of this chapter is obvious way before it's announced, but as a whole, I thought this was better than the first. It's genuinely horrific at one part, more so that any other game I've played. Brilliant series, and I implore anyone here who hasn't played it to do so.

Oh, and playing the PC version- no problems with the game not remembering choices from previous games as far as I can tell. I'm still constantly being told off for trying to save the other dude, rather than the child, in the first episode. Lol.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #497
Pedro
128-bit Poster

My issues started when I finished Part II and tried to start Part III, but good luck with it!

I played a little Red Dead Redemption this evening (I have about 10 PS+ games that I should do something about).

I played it when it came out on the xbox but I listened to the Cane & Rinse podcast about it and it made me want to play it again (it was free).

I must say the controls are incredibly janky (and shoot is R2 ffs) and there is a lot of screen tearing and stuff on the PS3.

However the dialogue is absolutely brilliant and the scenery is amazing. You just have to stop every now and then to take it all in. Even the nights are amazing as they have recreated the light pollution-free skies of the old west.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:21 AM   #498
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

yeah the controls for RDR were clunky. Seemed like there was no happy middle ground for shooting. It was hard to aim at targets manually because targets didnt stand out well against the backgrounds, and no sweet speed for moving the cursor. That, or you use the lock-on camera which wouldn't differentiate between enemies and civilians. I killed alot of civilians. lol
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #499
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Even walking around and controlling my horse, I'm finding a chore.

Yesterday, I also tried out:

Vanquish - too overwhelming for me, shit flying at you from all over the screen. There may be an issue with recognising enemies as well as I am red/green colourblind.

Sleeping Dogs - god, if there is one word that puts me off a game (after "crafting"), it is "combos". The first tutorial has you fight 10 guys, and it tells you to press square twice quickly, then hold it once. And it doesn't even take down the fucking guy! You have to do that six times for each of them. And there are 10 guys! And that is probably the easiest combo in the game. Screw that.

I'm sure I am playing both wrong, Sleeping Dogs was surprisingly very polished and interesting up till that. I may go back to Vanquish some day and play it on easy.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #500
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Jesus, while I was writing that, I managed to download Metro 2033. 6.6 GB in 10 minutes? Isn't modern life great?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #501
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

oh I like that one. It's an actual adventure story, with FPS stuff
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #502
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Wow, it's an incredibly stylish game. Fantastic setting. I have just made it to Market; I'm a bit sore that they made us fight off a load of those things just outside the door so that I use up all my ammunition.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #503
RandomRob

LA Noire-

love this game, more and more. It forces one to slow down and play it, and to just look at it. Sometimes I feel there are contextual issues with the interrogation sequences, but that feeling seems to depend on how involved I am with the game.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #504
RandomRob

btw- Who the hell is voting down this thread?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #505
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Not playing much on the pc, since I can't use my right arm for the mouse right now and I'm too lazy to rebind the entire keyboard to facilitate left-handed mouse-use. Hence I was playing only short bursts of Bioshock: Infinite, which is great but I hope I manage to finish it before I run over some major spoiler (various gaming sites are full of them already).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
btw- Who the hell is voting down this thread?
Bots that would then vote their own threads 5 stars?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #506
RandomRob

sorry about your arm Hope it's better soon
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #507
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Thanks. Doing physical therapy and seems to get better, but my doctor still doesn't know if I need surgery, hence all the PT sessions might be for nothing :-/
Old 04-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #508
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Oof, dislocated shoulder? Nasty. Hope it heals up soon.

Made my Major League debut in Road to the Show mode in The Show 13, pitching for the Brewers against the Pirates:

8IP, 6H, 2R, 2ER, 2BB, 7SO.

Not bad at all! I pitched out of jams in the 1st and 2nd (one run scored in each) and then it was plain sailing....but it could have been horrible.

Still playing RDR - it is pretty damn buggy on PS3. That iconic video game moment when you enter Mexico and the song kicks in? Didn't trigger. Fucks sake.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #509
RandomRob

I had a funny moment in LA Noire where I couldnt trigger my partner to get in the car, so Cole just kept repeating 'why dont you drive?', 'can you drive? Im going to go over the case notes..', 'how about you drive?' over and over while Bukowski ran a parallelogram around the car.

Last edited by RandomRob; 04-01-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #510
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I don't have a lot of time for games, yet I keep buying them. Here is what I have played little of with a quick first impression:

Ni no Kuni: A modern 16 bit style RPG. Some people are going to be put off by the simplicity of its design. I wish it was a little more non-linear. The side quests are a bore. Overall favorable, but they could have done more.

DmC: Great melee action game. I like the art direction and world. The people that bitched way too much about the reboot are missing out.

Tomb Raider: Another really good reboot. They finally made Tomb raider cool again (Although I liked the spin-off arcade game a lot)

Lego City Undercover: Finally a Wii U game to play. It is GTA for the whole family. The humor is a little dorky, but this is intended for 10 year olds anyway. It is nice to play a game that isn't filled with anger. You collect items by running over objects in the city (light posts, etc) which is like rewarding driving bad. That I don't like, but a fun game nevertheless.

Bioshock Infinite: Love the art direction. Not as blown away by the actual game as other people seem to be. Still feels very much like the first Bioshock game in a different setting.

Luigi's Mansion: Makes me remember why I love Nintendo so much. No one can match their charm. I like this game more than the recent Mario games.

Castlevania 3DS: Feels very much like a classic Castlevania game done in a modern time. Lacks personality, but good. Good not great. Better than what some of the critics are saying. I was tired of the anime Castlevania games.

Last edited by abfackeln; 04-02-2013 at 04:27 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote