About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #481
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

it's like it's the fucking 1980s again, with some of these titles, I swear.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #482
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

A word about Anno 2070. The text is tiny. Really tiny, and there is no option for scaling it up. If you are using anything smaller than a 60+ inch monitor, I'd avoid.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #483
RandomRob

I am alive-

I like
Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #484
JLB1987
Sex machine

Kane & Lynch I'm that desperate for split-screen games. Not looking good on the gameplay front- the shooting feels beefy, but it's like trying to control someone with arthritis, even with controller sensitivity turned way up. The cover system is dubious (attaches you to scenery automatically). Graphics aren't great, but not so bad I'd really hold it against it. But already, I love how the story could turn out. The eponymous anti-heroes are fascinating, even at this early stage, and I like the relationship between them. I assumed they were going to be two old friends trying to escape prison and go out to do some criminal work to make enough money to retire, live in a big mansion and be the best of friends. The fact that Lynch is, at this stage, mainly there to keep an eye on Kane who is being forced to help some bad men isn't complicated stuff, but it feels more movie like than most other games I've ever played. Very cautiously optimistic. The fact I feel like this after an hour of wonky gameplay is strange, to say the least.

Baldur's Gate. Not the new enhanced edition but with the Sword Coast expansion. I've decided to play as an axe wielding dwarf. Treasure hunter. Bad ass attitude hiding a heart of gold. Friends will be made, and lessons learnt, in this playthrough, I'm certain.

Just rock hard, but not for all the wrong reasons like Dragon Age. Not much more to say. It's Baldur's Gate. Still brilliant, over a decade on since first playing it.

Last edited by JLB1987; 03-18-2013 at 05:24 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #485
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Started Metal Gear: Revengeance on hard. Thankfully I could continue with my upgraded sword and cyborg body. Apart from that I'm currently slightly confused about what to continue playing. Candidates:
Knights of the Old Republic 2
System Shock 2
Mark of the Ninja
Binary Domain

hm... I think I'll go with KotOr2, until Bioshock Infinite is out at least. Or the Revengeance DLC comes out.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #486
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I'm currently playing through the single player campaign of StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm.

Blizzard took my absolute favorite sci-fi universe and used it to make a bad Saturday morning cartoon. That's not necessarily a deal breaker, as bad Saturday morning cartoons are some of my favorite things. Still, it was a weird direction to take the series.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #487
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I have entered a netherworld where I only play sports games now. This week I have been playing The Show, Madden and mostly Out of the Park Baseball. In fact I stayed up till 5am this morning trying to win another world series on this. Mixed with (a reasonable, I thought) 5 bottles of beer (Sierra Nevada), I am very groggy today.

I also bought Fifa last week but have only played one game (QPR(me) 2-1 Fulham on whatever the default setting is - easy?).

I went on PSN this morning (for a rather shameful reason) and I see there are lots of sales on - depending on whether you are in Yurp or 'Merica, they have the TombRaider, Prince of Persia, and Resident Evil series on sale; also the Walking Dead and you could join Rob above playing one of the best games from last year as I am Alive is on sale. Also the best FPS of our generation, Far Cry 2. Get on it!

The reason I went onto PSN was that I have 15 bucks on my US account and I wanted to see if I could get the US version of Demon's Souls for that (it was 19.99 tho).

Oh, and Okami HD, Cave Story and Thomas was Alone are coming up in PS+ in Arpril in Europe, so that is good. Unfortunately I bought Okami last month....

However, that podcast that B Gallaway guested on last week is very interesting - they do a full show on one game each time. I listened to the Okami one and it made me almost want to start playing it again....almost. An absolutely amazing game with some fatal flaws.

This has been a public service announcement for Sony...
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #488
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Kane & Lynch
I almost spent my 15 USD on this...I will buy it at some point I am sure. It really sounds intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
I am alive-

I like
Still playing it? What do you think of it now?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #489
RandomRob

I played it for an hour or two and put it down, haven't been back yet. Got a new GPU yesterday so Ive been getting it set up right and trying all my games on it
Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #490
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I almost spent my 15 USD on this...I will buy it at some point I am sure. It really sounds intriguing.
Well, I'd definitely recommend split screen, if just for the lulz. I just love the narrative- decent crime story, and generally enjoyable characters. Assuming you don't take it at all seriously. There are some brilliant sections where Lynch, the mental one, flips out. This often leads to "hilarious" cutscenes (the fact that the game managed to make my girlfriend and I laugh at him hitting a woman is, quite frankly, some sort of bizarre achievement), but this effects him in the game, too. In the bank job mission, he starts shooting at hostages, out of the second player's control, because he thinks they're police there to get him. When he's told what has happened in the ensueing getaway, he breaks down and is, again, out of the player's control. If you were judging from a gameplay perspective, these would be minor annoyances, but as a whole it really works. Really enjoying it- for a few quid online, you can't go wrong with this assuming you have someone to play with.

The gameplay is far from an inspiration for other developers, but my biggest complaint is that you can't change the splitscreen to a vertical split- again, it's a real treat that this is the worst thing I have to say about the game. I was expecting far worse.

Last edited by JLB1987; 03-23-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #491
JLB1987
Sex machine

Basically, if you want to play as a funnier version of those two guys from Dusk Til Dawn, buy it.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #492
RandomRob

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

simple roguelike that will likely draw unfair comparisons to FTL. No crew management, here, just collecting parts and relics, uncovering randomized storylines, and learning who not to mess with

What I really like here is that a game is all of maybe 10 minutes, and then I just want to play it again.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #493
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Euro Truck Simulator 2, currently for half price on steam. I heard so much fuzz about it that I decided to give it a spin. Let's see if I get an empire based on trucks or fined to hell and back in an attempt to cross Switzerland.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #494
JLB1987
Sex machine

I Really want to try out Euro Truck Simulater 2, but my enjoyment of it would likely be limited to driving around parts of England that I know well. Let us know how it is!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #495
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Having had spectacular success with Steam Greenlight so far this year (Miasmata and Kentucky Route Zero) I saw this on there the other day and decided to take a punt:

Pretty cool, huh?

Unfortunately it is very rough and there isn't much to do. The camera controls are really terrible, to the extent that they ruin the game....one for the future I think.