About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #406
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What are you playing right now?

Playing ho-ho-ho Dark Souls again. Started two new games that couldn't be more different. A) heavy armor, greatshield and great-weapon strength-build, and B) no shields melee. The latter is way more fun so far, playing DaS with heavy armor feels very... slow paced...
Old 12-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #407
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

no XCom right now-
my PC is eviscerated - waiting on a new mobo...

so I'm back to Ar Tonelico 2, by god, I will finish this game!

It does have one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard on a jrpg.

RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #408
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Just downloaded Endless Space Emperor Edition of steam for 11$ - runs decent on my laptop- yay!

Holy Moley this game has a gorgeous user interface.. I can see why you lost hours on this one, Pedro- I am totally there

Reminds me of Galactic Civ 2, but alot sexier

Last edited by RandomRob; 12-24-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #409
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Hope you are enjoying it! Like all these things, your interest peters out at some stage, but hopefully you have fun getting there.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #410
RandomRob

I like that it's almost a non-game game. I'm more a facilitator or agent, than a player, and watch what happens. To me, if the interface is done right, it's bliss, and ES is pretty close. The only mystery of the game seems to be optimizing output of resources and goods.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #411
JLB1987
Sex machine

Took a chance on Rage after my missus decided she thought it looked good for some reason, and pointed out it had co-op.

Tried it out multiplayer- very difficult, probably due to us both having been drinking heavily, and her not listening to a word I was saying to try and co-ordinate what we were doing. Plus I overlooked the fact that I'd somehow put it on "nightmare" rather than "normal" mode.

Tried it again tonight (sober), and it's good. The co-op is a series of missions specifically for numerous players. It reminds me of Left 4 Dead, except more difficult. Blasting through it now- we're using the same tactics as every other shooter we play together (me closerange with shotgun and fists, my partner shooting a machine gun in a care-free manner), and if anything it's even more satisfying here.

Had a quick play on single player- the graphics are stunning, and whilst there isn't the sense of freedom you get with Fallout (it's very linear so far), if anything, slowly creeping through an enemy stronghold is more tense than anything from that series. Enjoying it overall, but it seems to retain the hallmark of most other ID games I've played- brilliant presentation, no innovation.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #412
RandomRob

-the first town and exploring the desert in Rage is fun, beautiful scenery.... but the identical faces and fetch quests get stale after you spend a while in the next town.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #413
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Ah, Rage. It's not a bad game at all, quite good. I think I just did the main mission, not any of the side quests.

Is the co-op campaign the same as the main campaign? I seem to remember a lot of tight corridors in that, it doesn't strike me as being ideal for co-op.

Get her on the wing sticks, she'll love them.

Edit: still playing Shogun, but not getting any time on it due to Christmas. Downloaded FTL and Mark of the Ninja but I feel I should finish these sale games one at a time or I'll play them all for ten minutes and never go back to them. That means 'finishing' Shogun first.

Edit 2: done with hotline Miami, I think. I don't have the precision control to even get past level 1, or else I'm doing something wrong.

Edit 3: oh, you already answered my co-op question! Never mind me...

Last edited by Pedro; 12-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #414
JLB1987
Sex machine

Different from the main campaign- it's a series of short missions that provide some of the backstory for the main game. Which is a good idea, but there are far too many corridors to make the most of the co-op. It's a lot of fun though, will definitely keep us occupied until we find another decent co-op game. It's surprisingly difficult to find good ones.

Last edited by JLB1987; 12-30-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #415
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I wish I could recommend you some co-op games but my experience of them hasn't been great. Maybe it's my playstyle, but just charging ahead guns blazing doesn't really work for me and gaming - maybe I am playing them wrong though.

Obviously Borderlands is the daddy of co-op these days. You could also try Dead Island, which has a cheap GOTY edition now - I found it great fun but eventually it gets samey. All the combat is via melee in this, with some small shooty bits, so you are up close and personal with the zombies.

Another option would be Resi 5. I haven't played this in co-op yet though. Also the Left 4 Dead games. How come these all feature zombies?

AH! Hunted: The Demon's Forge got good reviews for co-op - and you get to play through as a Conan and Archer Chick I believe....might be ideal?

The big one for me is Portal 2, which I am still waiting for my co-op partner to buy and play through the single player. We are near the end of Borderlands 2 and kinda drifted away from Dead Island, but he has just got PS+ so I guess the free Resident Evil 5 is next
Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #416
JLB1987
Sex machine

Resi 5 is great, until the end- an increasingly silly array of bosses lost my interest. Steadily gets worse, I'm glad I didn't have to play it on my own...

Dead Island was one I had interest in, but typically, there's no split screen. Shame, as it sounds as if it expands on the idea of Left 4 Dead. Might try it now there's a GOTY edition out though- I just hope it isn't as awful playing it on my own as L4D was...

Hunted sounds very promising, however- will look into that. I'm seriously considering trying Army Of Two and Kane & Lynch- that's how desperate things are getting!

Borderlands looks good- do you know if there's split screen on that?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #417
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Ah, I forgot about split screen! Apparently both Borderlands games are split screen, though you may want to verify that independently. The co-op site Co-Optimus.com should sort you out as to playable games, though I find they love co op so much they tend to overrate the experience - each game has a single player and a co-op review.

Playing as the Tank in B1 is a howl in co-op.

Desperate times indeed! I've often found myself considering K&L as well! Bad...
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #418
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Ahoj!

Haven't been playing much the last weeks. Some Rayman Origins, which is a blast with 2 or more players. Some Dark Souls, which runs surprisingly well on my laptop.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #419
JLB1987
Sex machine

Given up on Rage, single player at least. Just made me want to play (and this time, complete) Fallout New Vegas, and try out Borderlands. I'll finish it in co-op and then sell it, I think.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #420
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Be warned that Borderlands is....well, it can be quite as empty as Rage. The love for it is overstated, but that said, it's in the upper echelons of co-op games so....

I played a bit of Miasmata last night. Stumbling around an island, trying to map my surroundings while suffering from fever....well, it is not as fun as it sounds.

Seriously though, I can't figure out the mapping mechanic and the movement is annoying and the item interaction cumbersome...I want to like it and give it a fair chance but I'm not sure I have multiple hours to sink into this, which is a shame.