About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #211
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What are you playing right now?

To take a short break from Mount & Blade, before going back to conquer Caladria:
Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP
Very interesting game with it's combination of old-fashioned pixelart and music. Played the first episode so far.

Endless Space (Alpha)
MOO. If you now think of Master of Orion, rather than a cow then this could be something for you. Very pretty 4X-game set in endless space. The only thing I'm still a bit unsure of is the space combat, which looks cinematic and all but so far has no more strategic depth than rock, paper scissors.

Warlock - Master of the Arcane (Demo)
I failed to find Civ 5 particularly interesting, Warlock however - a modern take on Master of Magic - seems to push all the right buttons. Its a game typical for 2012 I'd say. Typical for a year that already brought Legend of Grimrock, a modern take of Dungeon Master, and that brought Kickstarter-kick-offs for games like Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun returns.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #212
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
L.A. Noire (360) Had read some mixed reaction to this game, with many people citing that it did not live up to its potential. Can't say that I agree. I am fully immersed in this game and really enjoy the different cases. My only complaint is when driving and you get stuck on the tiniest, most minor of details in the landscape. This really hurts the chase scenes.
Agreed, being interested in the genre (huge fan of Chinatown, Sunset Blvd, etc) I found the game timeless, rewarding and fun to just get lost in.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #213
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Agreed, being interested in the genre (huge fan of Chinatown, Sunset Blvd, etc) I found the game timeless, rewarding and fun to just get lost in.
Haven't gotten lost in L.A. yet. In fact I am finding Noire to be somewhat linear, especially compared to Red Dead Redemption. Just haven't diverged from the main quests and wandered around like I did while playing RDR. Don't find this to be a bad thing, since Noire plays considerably different. And that's about it, the game is different, in a good way.

Did you purchase any of the add-on cases? Was wondering how these compared to the main game.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #214
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

no, just the main game. I didn't mean literally lost, more the feeling of being in a leisurely state of exploration with the game, rather than rushing to do the next thing-
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #215
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Endless Space (Alpha)
MOO. If you now think of Master of Orion, rather than a cow then this could be something for you. Very pretty 4X-game set in endless space. The only thing I'm still a bit unsure of is the space combat, which looks cinematic and all but so far has no more strategic depth than rock, paper scissors.
Hmm, this is tempting and I will definitely try this out at some stage, but with MOO, MOO2, Gal Civ II and SotS sitting in my queue barely played, I can afford to hold off until the game is released.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #216
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I started S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (with Complete mod) last night.

Don't know how long I will stick it out, it looks great, but I also get the impression that it appeals to mostly PC Modding Fetishists (you know, the people who always mod in a backpack in games like Fallout before they can bear to start the game, because how would you carry around all that stuff otherwise?) so we'll see.

I am ready to be impressed.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #217
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I'm curious what you think about S.T.A.L.K.E.R., a game about which I am always on the fence if I should give it a shot or not. Which S.T.A.L.K.E.R. do you play? Shadow of Chernobyl (vanilla), Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat?

That reminds me to continue Metro 2033... I game I'd have finished by now if it wouldn't crash that much.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #218
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I'll let you know. I've only had one 2-hour session so far, where I did the first mission (though this is my third time starting the game so Steam shows 6 hours. I need to persevere with this playthrough).

It looks pretty sweet so far - sweet as in strange and oppressive that is. I've wandered around a little after the mission (where I got a shotgun, so I feel safer now) and there are packs of dogs roaming around, a dead body or two, soldiers in helicopters, bandits and some strange stuff happening off in the distance - strange localised lightning flashes etc.

So it is too early to tell, though promising. I am playing the first one, Shadow of Chernobyl, so getting into the Zone and seeing the power plant (which is marked on the map) is intriguing. I would say Vanilla, but I have the Complete mod installed, which removes a lot of the bugs, I think, as well as a tonne of other stuff.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #219
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
no, just the main game. I didn't mean literally lost, more the feeling of being in a leisurely state of exploration with the game, rather than rushing to do the next thing-
Ahhh, gotcha. In that case I have gotten lost in L.A. Noire as well. I rarely sit down to play without completing an entire case per sitting. Not the best game to start late at night, but really looking forward to beating this one.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #220
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Warlock - Master of Arcane, which at first glance looks like Civilization with fantasy units. But this wouldn't do either game justice. It is a strategy game with a map divided in hexagonal pieces and has city-building elements a tech tree, which just consists of different magic, religion and fancy sounding fantasy units to shovel around. Paladins of Death sounds like a highschool metal-band but is indeed the name of the strongest unit I have at the moment. Where it differs to Civ is the scope. Civ was about getting your civilization from cave paintings to space exploration. Warlock feels more like it's covering a lengthy military campaign, think world war in fairy-land. Diplomacy is fairly limited and Alliances don't hold long. In fact I haven't noticed any advantage of an Alliance over a non-aggression pact. AI is good, but acts inconsistent sometimes. First they declare war, as I seize two towns close to their capital they ask for peace, just to declare war again 2 turns later, even though their situation hasn't gotten any better. I'd say the AI is too aggressive for it's own good, but has some neat tricks and acts way smarter than in Civ. So far thumbs up.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #221
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Something I want to add to my previous posting, since I was asked this question by a friend of mine: "Is Warlock - Master of Arcane the shiny new modern Master of Magic I've been waiting for?"

I can answer this question with a clear: no.

It's missing a special something that games like Civ, Master of Orion or Master of Magic possess. That special something that wants me to replay the game in different forms. There are a lot of different leaders, but the main difference is just the race they present, of which there are 3: monsters, undead and humans. But when a undead or monster city is taken, it's possible to get pretty much the whole tech tree for the respective race. There is no incentive to start the game as undead once it's been completed as human or monster, since the probability is high all major units have been used during the campaign.

There is also no alternative way of completing the main campaign. Your only option is warfare. Unlike Civ, MOO etc. where there are victory conditions for diplomatic or tech-victories, here it's all about warfare. The game Warlock reminds me the most of is actually Fantasy General, not Master of Magic. Like in Fantasy General I feel like I'm shoveled from one war to the next (where I dominate everything with my overpowered units). There is no sense of building a fantasy-civilization. The only reason to build cities is to have more production capabilities to get more of the better troops than the enemies have.

There are different worlds and planes, but they feel like window-dressing. Other worlds can give more powerful spells but also contain more powerful foes. But with a group of Paladins of Death upgraded beyond reason it's no problem to invade Narnia. And it's a bit pointless, really, since all those shiny new spells are not necessary to beat any enemy encountered during the game.

It's like all the pieces of the puzzle are on the table, but they struggled to make a coherent picture out of them. This is a game that would really benefit from dedicated modders that bring it closer to the MoM-formula.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #222
Pedro
128-bit Poster

So, I'm 13 hours into STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and am having a blast, despite it being a very unforgiving game when starting out. For the first 6 hours of that, I was hitting Quicksave every 3 minutes, and it's still a necessary evil.

It's basically a Open World Stealth RPG FPS. Stealth is probably the most important word in that description. You often have to skirt bunches of enemies, as well as keeping an eye out in all directions for more coming up behind. You can't really run into any situation with all guns blazing. A bullet to the head will kill you, so you spend a lot of time crouching behind rusted vehicles peppering your enemies with short bursts of gunfire.

The Open World bit is a bit of a misnomer - it's not 'pure' open world, but a series of areas connected by loading screens. However, it is very gritty and 'realistic' - a bit like I imagine the DayZ mod for ArmaII is like right now. The world is well realised and gives you plenty of scope for setting ambushes, flanking enemies, slipping by in the dark, or approaching on your own terms (I can't wait to get a sniper rifle) etc.

Then there's the RPG and FPS bits. The RPG elements are linked to inventory management (a fairly stingy weight limit means that even though you have access to loads of gear at the start, you can't carry very much at all. In fact your endurance is linked to what you carry, and sometimes you have to physically stop and rest before you can go on, if you're overloaded), quests, building relationships with different factions etc. There's all kinds of shit going down too around dealing with hunger, radiation, bleeding wounds etc.

The FPS bit is really good - you start the game with a pistol, with which you are lucky to hit anything, and progress to a shotgun, with which you are lucky to hit anything if it is more than 2 feet away. There are no points to put into accuracy or anything like that, so getting better with individual weapons is as a result of developing player skill, which feels quite rewarding. Eventually, with a great deal of luck, you'll acquire an automatic rifle, and the game gets really fun then, as you stop being an easy target and start dishing out the Pain. I acquired my rifle when I was in an attic looking for a stash and an army patrol came through. I managed to ambush two of them with my pistol, and from then on I was in business. It also helped that I got some artifacts - weird radioactive anomalies - that increased my health by 800%.

The AI is a bit stupid - it's ok when it is out in the open, but in confined spaces, soldiers will keep walking through the door you're standing outside with a shotgun. Also, they don't seem to deal well with attacks from above, so if you take to the rooftops you can slaughter entire bunches of enemies with impunity. But those bits are rare enough that being able to take out the whole next wave of enemies at once is a real pleasure. The game's AI is constantly battling each other too, so your main source of wealth is from looting the literally dozens of corpses littering the land.

There's plenty of downside too, in that you don't know what's going on most of the time, or even how to tell friend from foe (for example you can approach the army at certain checkpoints, but of they meet you out in the open they attack), so you do die a lot. I guess if I had read some tips at the start I would have saved myself a lot of pain. Although you are hindered by the fact that when you type 'Stalker, how do I recognise enemies' into Google, the results have a tendency towards, "Are you being Stalked? How to spot a Stalker" etc.

But, for an open world stealth rpg fps...it's pretty awesome.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #223
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
But, for an open world stealth rpg fps...it's pretty awesome.
Sold! Question: Is it a Steam copy, and if so, how easy is it to install the Complete mod? I've never tried modding anything in my Steam library, and can see it being a bit of effort (bearing in mind I'm not a bonafide PC gamer).
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #224
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Yes, I have a Steam copy. You can download Complete mod as an Exe and it'll install itself, which is brilliant.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #225
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Sold as well! Just downloading Shadow of Chernobyl

Until that is done and modded I have trial versions of Eve Online and Diablo 3 to try.