About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #151
NeoRanger
8-Bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

Finally finished Fallout 3's main campaign. Bustin' out some oldies now: Titan Quest.
NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #152
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Stopped the incredibly boring Assassins Creed 2. Put in Portal 2 and did some puzzles. It's not really funny. I seem to have a post-Dark-Souls-breakdown.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #153
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I know what you mean; I finished it this day last week and all I've played since is a couple of hours of Zelda.

I did find myself studying the Platinum achievement guide for quite a long time the other day though....
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #154
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Began Catherine today. Not sure I really get the appeal of this game. It's okay, but a little too much watching and not enough playing for my tastes.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #155
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I did find myself studying the Platinum achievement guide for quite a long time the other day though....
Where did you find that? Not that I would aim for all the trophies, just curious

Yesterday I played some Civ4 (as English, won the game via the space station-thing) and tried to give Portal 2 another chance, but all I can think of is my NG+ in Dark Souls.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #156
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Platinum Checklist

By the looks of it, if you were paying attention in the first playthrough (ie playing with the Platinum in mind) then it would take two and a half full playthroughs (Sif's soul is required for three different unique weapons). However in reality it might be more - don't know if you'd get all the upgrade materials required in 2.5 playthroughs.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #157
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Started vvvvvv. Like it so far. [...]
rage quit after endlessly failing on one jump.
A game that's hard, fine. but give me some hours of tutorial before getting there ... and or much better controls.
Will dust off my Saitek Pad to transfer the keyboard controls onto the pad. Maybe it's playable then.

Clickr
The basic mechanic is super easy, click&rotate + gravity, but it's very hard overall. and a little too much depending on luck sometimes (like every chain combo puzzle game)
Must be pretty ignored by gamers so far since entering some of the various top 100 lists is unavoidable if you invest some hours.
There is a flash demo of one game mode available, but it shows really only one rather minor mode. You better watch also some videos of the other modes, which are not so obviously or not at all based on luck.
7,99 might be high, but if on sale again people who like Hexic, Meteos or Lumines or anything like that, should take a closer look, imo it's better than the mentioned.
Played almost 20 hours and there are still modes to unlock.

Heavy Rain
beginning was very fine, but i think Fahrenheit was better for various reasons.
This actually was the game triggering my PS3 buy. So being disappointed might originate from too high expectations.
Hope i will enjoy replaying the possible iterations of the story more, now with my expectations adjusted.

Bioshock 2
After Zanbatou said it is harder than Bioshock 1 i felt forced to return to my savegame and check that, since i thought it was even easier, boringly easy.
He was right.
After Ryan Amusements death becomes a possibility. Still easy compared to other shooters, but at least sufficiently challenging.
So far i am not sure if it's worse than the original.

Since Contract Killer Zombies has become too hard i started Contract Killer, without zombies.
Loading times are sometimes longer than the play time since its a sniper game. One shot, done.
Same "buy better weapons" ads all the time but since the basic sniper rifle is very ok, it's doable so far.
Only in the missions were my mission is ambushed and 6 enemies have to be eliminated i fail when not head shooting them in a row, take too much damage in the rather long reloading times after each single shot.

Blood & Glory
I guess it could be fun but it is crashing way too often so i stopped playing and wait for an update.
Fight Night Gladiator, sort of.
For cheapos. Free(mium) like all Android games i tried so far.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #158
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Just started Dead Space II.

It's very entertaining so far - corridor shooter with some open areas interspersed with big set pieces. I didn't manage to finish the original so we'll see about this one. Isaac isn't too bad as a now-speaking protagonist.

WTF: Why did his strait jacket have the little health bar running up the back?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #159
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Since I'll be travelling a lot the next weeks I won't have much time for my NG+ in Dark Souls. Thus I downloaded Chronotrigger for my iPod. I've never played it before and I'm curious how much (if at all ) I'll like this classic.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #160
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (Steam)

silly, bombastic Starship Troopers flavored giant bug killing game. Havent tried the online, but its a decent shoot em up. Recommend turning the sound way up. The guns feel very lightweight unless you feel the bass thump, then it kinda comes across.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #161
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Since I'll be travelling a lot the next weeks I won't have much time for my NG+ in Dark Souls. Thus I downloaded Chronotrigger for my iPod. I've never played it before and I'm curious how much (if at all ) I'll like this classic.
Curious what you think about the game. I have glowing nostalgic opinions about Chrono Trigger, but I'd like to hear what the uninitiated think. Is it really as great as I think it is?
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #162
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Wario Land: Shake It! The way you need to finish levels is good fun, but overall a mediocre platformer that really doesn't do Wario justice.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #163
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Binding of Isaac
disappointing
intro was nice but the gameplay seems awkward in every situation. I usually like twin stick shooters and basically it is one, although using wasd and arrow keys but it feels unnecessarily limiting to be restricted in that way all the time.
It is a short game and i tried several times but i was not able to finish it at least once, and i doubt i'll ever do.
Probably will watch the endings on youtube.

Edge
The idea of "edging" would be fun but it's not really carried out well.
It doesn't feel intuitive even after some hours. Maybe because it isn't needed very often. Like if in Mirrors Edge you would only occasionally do parkour running. sort of ignoring its own idea.

Portal 2
I like it, really, and i am not exactly disappointed but after the pleasant experience Portal 1 delivered it's just not the same fun.

Pilotwings Resort
The usual Nintendo recycling.
3D adds nothing.
So here it is even more recycling without doing pretty much anything new.
Probably won't finish it since i sort of already have before- twice.

Burn the rope
Like it with each level more.
Consider this my mobile GOTY 2011.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #164
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
Curious what you think about the game. I have glowing nostalgic opinions about Chrono Trigger, but I'd like to hear what the uninitiated think. Is it really as great as I think it is?
I haven't played it very far. Main reason for this is that I just can't get along with the virtual pad and constantly run into walls, trees and bushes instead of going into doors and along paths.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #165
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm in between games; all the ones I haven't played seem to be shooters, and as I just finished Dead Space 2, I'm not sure about jumping in again right away.

Been playing some Gran Turismo 5 (bought the Platinum edition) and it is still fun-ish. It's kinda weird - you have to mod your cars to make them competitive, and it's very easy to go from losing races to adding something like a set of tyres and - boom! - suddenly you're winning by 4 seconds. Hard to judge the fine line where you're competing on an even plane with the CPU.