About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #136
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: What are you playing right now?

Thanks to Li-Ion I'm playing Vanquish as an antidote to Dark Souls (I'm still loving Dark Souls, but I don't like playing it for short bursts, needed something I could occasionally dip in to). For a while I've wanted to get a decent third person shooter for the current-gen, but didn't want to buy any of the Gears of War games as they seem too multi-player focused to me. Vanquish doesn't disappoint.

It's fast, loud fun. I can't really think of a bad point about it. I'm around half way through and not at all bored, which is a good sign, and I love the little nuances of it; the way you upgrade weapons, how you automatically go into "bullet-time" when you're near-death. The AI seems pretty well done too, and I'm only playing on normal difficulty. Overall, very happy, especially seeing as I got this fairly cheap. Thanks, Li-Ion!
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #137
Kin Korn Karn

Skyrim. Haven't played a game in a while that has me eeking out every available hour of freetime to dedicate to gaming. Hard to do today with a 1 1/2 year old.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #138
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Still playing Beat Hazard and Squarelogic.

on my mobile
Contract Killer: Zombies and Wind Up Knight
A simple shooter and a pretty hard on rails jump and run but both are fun, and free.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #139
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Love it. It does exactly what it should do.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #140
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Haven't checked this thread in a while, since I'm still obsessed with Dark Souls. However, there is a new marvel on my ipod sweetening waiting times and that is Drop 7. It's a puzzle game with a simple idea. You have a 7x7 playing field and drop balls with numbers on them. When the amount of balls horizontal or vertical matches the number displayed, the ball disappears, scoring points. That's all you need to know to start playing and it doesn't take long for the Tetris-effect. I almost missed my stop yesterday because I was trying to get a chain going... I recommend it for on-the-go gaming and at least the ios-version is for free. I'm sure it's available for android as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
It's fast, loud fun. I can't really think of a bad point about it. I'm around half way through and not at all bored, which is a good sign, and I love the little nuances of it; the way you upgrade weapons, how you automatically go into "bullet-time" when you're near-death. The AI seems pretty well done too, and I'm only playing on normal difficulty. Overall, very happy, especially seeing as I got this fairly cheap. Thanks, Li-Ion!
You're welcome
Old 11-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #141
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Just finished the first mission in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Really impressed with how the mis en place and gameplay have been brought up to date. It feels nicely balanced. So far: like.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #142
crackajack
64-bit Poster

I think i am on the brink of the free to play content of Contract Killer: Zombies.
It gets too hard for me with the weapons i was able to unlock.
So the game suggests buying better weapons, and that would be pretty expensive.

Started vvvvvv. Like it so far. I think its standard prize is too high but for the steam sale prize it feels alright.
I guess without the training of Super Meat Boy this might have been (too) frustrating but so far i proceeded quite fast without repetitive dying.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #143
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Still playing the Star Wars The Old Republic beta "weekend". Started a sith warrior now and found it funny to see almost a carbon copy of korriban how it was in Knights of the Old Republic. Even some of the quests are almost identical. Before that I tried a smuggler but the cover system this class relies on is utterly stupid. Do not like. Levelling my Twi'lek Jedi was much more fun.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #144
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Just finished Dark Souls so I can now go back to Skyrim or Skyward Sword, neither of which are appealing (Skyrim for the lag and patch issues, SS for being terrible).

I also have PES 2012, Dead Space II and Killzone 2 to play, so it could be one of those.

EDIT: I might go and try and finally get that Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #145
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I am undecided what to play after Dark Souls. It completely engulfed me for the last 2 months to an extend that I almost forgot that there are other games out there.

I am now playing my NG+ on Dark Souls. I'm already at Andre the Blacksmith again. In between I'll take a stab at Assassins Creed 2, which I left unfinished the day Dark Souls arrived.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #146
RandomRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I'll take a stab at Assassins Creed 2, which I left unfinished the day Dark Souls arrived.
With all the "Brown Shooters", Ubisoft had to make a "Brown Stabber"...
Old 12-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #147
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Since AC2 plays in historically more or less accurate cities, I don't expect to kill the god of death and disease or a giant crystal breathing dragon or a giant wolf wielding a huge sword or an armored boar or a wobbly big... thing with lots of eyes and tentacles.

Instead I will see myself fighting a dude followed by a different dude followed by a dude with a slightly different moustache. I try to kill dudes with weird facial hair first, there you have it. But whatever I play it will probably be a disappointment. The same way the fist game I played after DXHR was a disappointment (that was Space Marine, which was surprisingly fun, but the lack of choice and dialogue was obvious and I kept on wondering why I can't decide the approach for any given mission). But I guess I just have to go through, can't play Dark Souls forever. Or can I?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #148
RandomRob

I would have preferred if AC had evolved into a platformer, rather than another me-too third person fetch quest game. The parkour travel was the fun of that game to begin with, not getting items to satisfy the goofy wannabe PK Dick storyline....
Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #149
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Indeed, I continued with Assassins Creed 2, a game that couldn't be more different than Dark Souls. AC2 simply doesn't offer a challenge. Yes, there are various combat moves and all kind of weird button combinations involving them, but none of that is necessary. If I just drop a smoke bomb and switch back to the double hidden blades I can take out 4-8 guys before the smoke is gone. It doesn't even seem to matter if the guys are armored or anything, thanks to the hidden blade being an instant kill as long as the target is stunned by smoke.

So I just run around, collect all the guards of one area that might want to kill me, drop a bomb or two and kill everything in sight. Afterwards I bribe some dude, kill an official and rip a wanted poster off a hidden wall on the 3rd floor of a building (who's reading it there anyway?) and nobody remembers that I killed half the city guards 5 minutes ago.

The only time I died yesterday was due to a mis-clicked jump off a balcony 40 meters down instead of the other way up the wall. But due to the best armor I could find so far I survive falls from the roof of a 4 story building. Didn't manage to accidentally fall off a higher building yet, but I had still 30% life left. So I guess Ezio can fall from even higher buildings without breaking every bone in his body like every normal human would.

Money is no issue, thanks to all the money early on spent on upgrades for the Villa and City of Monte Ezio (I know it's called different, but Ezio seems to be self-centered enough that he would call it this way if he had a say ). I just let the game run while going for a cup of coffee with some friends and when I came back I had a small fortune. Now I have problems finding art merchants to spend all the money at for paintings.

Also, just have to love those deus ex machina moments, when e.g. the most powerful woman of a certain city is a damsel in distress, just when I need a passage to Venice. How convenient.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #150
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

What horrible controls AC2 has! I didn't notice it as much in the first AC. But there were no dungeons that demand precise jumps and timing. Ezio the stag continues to get stuck on parts of the scenery, especially near corners, something his ancestor Altair the boring already did. Yesterday I spent 10 minutes at a series of jumps, because for no discernible reason Ezio would jump sometimes higher than at other times. I tried exactly the same moves on my controller, getting to different results. I still don't know what I did noticeable different the one time all jumps worked and I managed to get out of there.

But that's still nothing compared to the bore-fest which are the near-future parts with Desmond. I can only think of very few avatars I controlled the last couple of years that were even less likeable. The CIA agent in Black Ops for example, who tortures by punching someone who has glass shards in his mouth. The whole pseudo-sci-fi framing device doesn't interest me at all. It is not helped by the fact that these sections are dragged out due to Desmond being unable to walk faster than a glacier, unless you are at specific points where he is allowed to race like a donkey.

When I started AC2 earlier this year I was quite positive and was almost picking up Brotherhood already. Lucky that I didn't. As it is now, I'm pretty certain this will be my last Assassins Creed game.