About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
50 games in 2014

A few years ago, my new years resolution was to read 50 books in a year. I only made it to 26, but that was still 23 books more than I usually read in a year.

This year, I'm going to try the same thing, but with games. I already own the games, thanks to years of Steam sales and poor impulse control. I already spend at least 10 hours a week playing games, which should be plenty of time as long as I budget it wisely (and play a lot of shorter titles). It's less than a game a week!

To make things easier, this will be about finally finishing games, and not necessarily about completing games from start to finish. Finally wrapping up my 300+ hour Skyrim playthrough will still earn a point towards my goal.

It's not the noblest resolution, but it sounds like a lot of fun.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: 50 games in 2014

Ha ha, that does sound like a lot of fun. Are you going to update this thread? Have you got a plan, or are you going to follow your normal gaming patterns and just play what you feel like at any given time?

Just as an indication, last year I played 39 games and finished 22 of them*. I spent a lot of time gaming last year, too much really. I'm hoping to cut back this year.

*the big time sinks were games like Madden and OOTP Baseball, which don't have an end really.

Last edited by Pedro; 01-01-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

I may update this quarterly to report whether or not I'm on schedule. For the most part, though, I plan to post more in the "currently playing" and "post here when you beat a game" threads.

When I tried reading 50 books in a year, for the first six months I allowed myself to to start as many books as I wanted, and I only finished the ones I was really enjoying. There were a lot of "wasted" pages, but I was also reading a lot more because I was having more fun. I actually finished more books in those first six months than I did in the last six, after I focused on wrapping up books already in progress.

So my plan is to pretty much just to follow my normal gaming patterns and play whatever I feel like at a given time. I think that merely having a goal to work towards will influence what I feel like playing, though. Wrapping up games will become more fun if I'm getting credit for doing so. I'll also try to avoid time sink games in favor of ones that I can actually complete in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for posting your gaming record from last year. It helps me get a sense for how difficult this challenge will be. That's exactly why I posted about this resolution instead of keeping it to myself (well, that and the off-chance that someone else would be inspired to attempt the challenge alongside me).
Old 01-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I would join you, as I am definitely interested in playing shorter games this year, but something occurs that may be an issue for you too - finding 50 games that you actually want to play.

Although.....I have my Steam list divided into Finished (either finished or I have decided I will never play them again), Revisit (would like to come back to, but probably won't) and my active or not started list. There are 21 games in that list, and I guess there could be 30 games released this year that I'd be interested in playing so perhaps it is do-able. Hmmm.

I think you're right about the goal influencing the games you'll play - it's likely you'll consider a wider range too - suddenly that 2 hour indie game becomes a lot more appealing! Looking forward to hearing how you're getting on with this.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I played a number of games last year, but have the habit of only finishing the few that really grip me (XCOM, Dark Souls... about 30 times already) and find myself often enough drawn to games that require serious time commitment just when I have less and less time to spend. I started playing bass again, just had my first live gig before xmas (yay! ) and my girlfriend accepts the fact that I need a weekly dose of Gran Turismo and/or XCOM, but still sometimes wonders what keeps me playing the apparently same game over and over and over, all the while watching youtube videos of said games (I wouldn't have tried ironman impossible without stumbling over the excellent videos by Beaglerush, btw). Admittedly, she stopped wondering after I told her that I also followed the chess world championship and formula 1 races and explained XCOM as chess with guns and GT as a bit like formula 1, but more fun.

Away from my tangent: good luck! 50 is quite a serious number and by my highly complex calculations requires you to finish a game per week on average. Seeing we already have the fifth, what have you finished, or are you close to finishing, at this very moment?

My game-plan for the year is clearing out my backlog. At least part of it. Still haven't played much of The Last of Us for example. Or Fez. Or the Cat Lady. Heard much about Gone Home and Kentucky Route but didn't get around playing it. Still haven't finished Singularity and God of War 3, now that I think of it. Same goes to Binary Domain, Planescape Torment, Mount & Blade: with Fire & Sword and in a weak moment I got last year's Tomb Raider on the steam sale. Everything I can't finish before Dark Souls 2, I will probably not finish this year
Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
Pedro
64-bit Poster

You should try all those games. I have been playing Fez and it is very nice, but I'm only scratching the surface, I think. To me the game is collecting stuff, but it looks like there is a tonne of hidden content - there are weird codes and stuff all over the place. Gone Home will take you 2 hours, and Kentucky Route 0 four (2 eps so far).

My brother started playing The Last of Us today. He texted me complaining that he's spent the majority of the game so far crouching behind stuff.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
My brother started playing The Last of Us today. He texted me complaining that he's spent the majority of the game so far crouching behind stuff.
Funny, that also sums up my experience so far
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Kin Korn Karn

This sounds nuts! Heck I am happy if I can get to one game a month
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

What's the score so far? It's almost 2 months in, time for an update!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Umm.. The score is Octodad. I have completed Octodad. I'm a good six games behind schedule.

But I've been mentoring a high school FIRST Robotics team for the last couple months, and the build season concludes tonight. January and February are my busiest months each year.

I'm still optimistic, but I don't have much to report yet.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:12 AM   #11
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Time for a quarterly report, I guess. Games completed in 2014 so far:

Octodad
FTL
Frog Fractions
Dominique Pamplemousse
Long Live The Queen
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
ICO

Which means I've completed just about half the games I should have if I wanted to stay on schedule.

I might have managed to catch up if I hadn't "wasted" my time on several more failed attempts to conquer XCOM: Enemy Within's impossible ironman mode. That game may deserve a yearly challenge of its own.

Anyway, 7 down, 43 to go.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Nice, that is progress! It's actually more games than I have played this year so you are doing ok.

Was that the first time with ICO? What did you think?

I didn't have the same overwhelming experience with Brothers as others had.

So one quarter down. Just don't play any RPGs or strategy games for the next three months and you'll be sorted.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

You achieved to finish way more games than I did this year at least well done!

My list of finished games this year so far:
GT6,
Banner Saga,
Shadowrun: Dragonfall and
Dark Souls 2... and I'll be busy with the latter for some more time...
Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

ICO is one of my favorite games. This was probably my fourth time playing it. Brothers gives off a heavy ICO vibe, and it made me want to replay it again.

I had a few problems with Brothers, but overall I loved it. It's a beautiful game with a couple brilliant moments, and I'd recommend that everyone play it.

The only real complaint I had is that the world lacked any sort of cohesiveness. It was just a string of disconnected fantasy set pieces that, aside from sharing a bittersweet tone, didn't connect to each other in any way. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus (which I'm replaying right now) have much more consistent imagery, and it helps their world feel like a real place.

And Li-Ion, my secret plan was to get ahead of schedule and then play Dark Souls (the first one) this year. Short games are great, but you need a few heavy hitters mixed in as well if you really want to seem well read.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I loved ICO (just played it a year or two ago for the first time) but didn't get on with SotC. Too finicky, all I remember is trying to shoot the second golem on the sole of the foot.