About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 05-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Thread

Is anyone else picking up The Witcher 3 next week?

EDIT:

Reviews are coming in. So far the scores have been over a 9. GameSpot gave it a 10. I am avoiding reading the reviews because I want to go into it fresh. I haven't even watched the gameplay videos.

Last edited by abfackeln; 05-12-2015 at 10:08 AM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Thread

My GPU isn't up to scratch, so I'm contemplating getting it for PS4. However, my game time is rather limited until July, hence I don't know if I shouldn't wait until then.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
gamevet

I've yet to finish the enhanced version of the original Witcher. I am somewhat interested in The Witcher 3 though.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Since it picks up straight from where Witcher 2 left off, I guess it's advisable to have played at least part 2 before diving into the new one.

I'm so far hearing mixed opinions about the PS4 framerate, waiting for the likes of digitalfoundry to see if it's not better to grab it on pc with updated GPU further down the line.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Wow, is it out next week already?

I've actually been thinking about the previous two games. I enjoyed the first, but got almost to the end and didn't finish it. I didn't like the second at all.

I'm thinking that as well as the combat being flat-out terrible, the story has been pretty dreary too.

Maybe it will be a little more accessible on console. I'll read some reviews before deciding to pick it up. It's definitely a game that you have to read between the lines of the reviews, as it's a media darling and far too overhyped, I find.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Well, if you didn't like W2 you should steer clear for number 3, since it seems to be W2 just bigger and even bigger.

And it doesn't look as good as 2 years ago, 2013:

2015:

Not quite meeting the target there.

Apart from less than a third of the original polygons present, I wonder why they went weird with the colours? I've seen a video (uncompressed) of PS4 footage and it does look pretty, but also somehow odd. So far I always thought the uncanny valley is only present when it comes to human-like characters, but seems like part of the Witcher 3's landscape is located in the uncanny valley.

And what I also got from the commentary along with the video: the controls are quite sluggish. And after Bloodborne I simply can't go into a 3rd person game with sluggish controls. I found Dragon Age Inquisition already insufferable. I still haven't played that past the beginning...
Old 05-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Pedro
128-bit Poster

The upper one must have been the tech demo; incredible difference there.

I am getting tempted....but the reviews I've read so far don't mention the combat - anyone see a review like that?

Edit: Eh, forget it, I've just ordered it
I really need to rein in the time I'm spending on games.

Last edited by Pedro; 05-19-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I like this idea of having a new thread for each game. It means

a) there are finally some big games coming out for next gen
b) we are somewhat playing the same games at the same time

This will probably be the end of it now for a while though!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:46 AM   #9
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Well, played a good four hours last night, so have some impressions.

First off, a big Boooooo! to the Gamespot reviewer who told me to bump the combat up to Hard.

The combat itself takes a bit of getting used to; the combination of using potions, adding oils to weapons, using signs, using a secondary weapon such as a crossbow and the need to 'kite' enemies which always appear in groups is fairly annoying at first, not to mention confusing. The first two hours of the game is a tutorial, and the amount of information given is a bit overwhelming, fighting 'properly' using parries, defence and signs turned into a bit of a button mashing scenario for me.

I think it is probably a good system when you get your head around it, but I'm struggling mightily at the moment.

The corollary of that is that you probably need to do a lot of crafting, which I hate. I haven't really looked into that yet.

Levelling is slow, and money/food is scarce. You spend a lot of time going around with 1/3 health

The world looks weird, as Li-Ion mentioned above. I am mildly colourblind anyway, but the colour of everything is just...weird. I don't feel the need to look at the landscape, I'd rather almost blot it out as I ride along. Some of that is bloom, I suppose, but it's not a good looking world really.

The interiors are very lush and detailed.

The four hours consisted of tutorials and cut scenes mostly. One boss fight (where I eventually turned down the difficulty to Normal) and one or two sidequests. There are loads of people in the world but they're not chatty. I was surprised at the low volume of side quests in the first area, you need to look for them rather than inadvertantly ending up with a massive list of fetch quests in your journal, which is really good.

I like it overall, though it has some frustrations. I actually thought about just settling down, rpg-style, in the first game area, and playing the game that way. Not sure how long it would last, but I may go back and do that, if I can.

Edit: Oh yeah, one of the most frustrating things so far is that the text on the UI is tiny. You literally can't read the texts of anything in your inventory without getting up and going to about a foot from the TV. Given that you will probably be spending a lot of time in there crafting potions and the like, it's pretty terrible.

Last edited by Pedro; 05-20-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I like this idea of having a new thread for each game. It means

a) there are finally some big games coming out for next gen
b) we are somewhat playing the same games at the same time

This will probably be the end of it now for a while though!
I don't think there is another big release until Metal Gear Solid in September. I like having dedicated threads for big game releases. Batman comes out next month. I never played the first two despite owning them for years now. I'll pass for now.

The colors in the Witcher 3 are an odd choice. One thing I like about them over the tech demo is that there is more separation / contrast between the elements on screen.

It looks like I won't start the game until next Wednesday. My wife and I made a quick desision to go out of town for a few days. I wouldn't want to start the game and not get to play it for almost a week. Especially if all I am going to get to play is the tutorial.

I wish I could join in the conversation and give my impressions.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

My reply to this thread I was writing yesterday was eaten by the internet it seems, so here the short version:

* not sure when I get it, console versions seem to have pretty bad loading times and framerate issues and I don't want to upgrade my PC until autumn
* I'm a bit worried about the open world, and how much typical open world busywork it will contain
* colours still freak me out a bit, but I guess there will be a "realism mod" at some point, otherwise I will have to ride through what resembles a eurovision song contest to me
Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #12
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
It looks like I won't start the game until next Wednesday. My wife and I made a quick desision to go out of town for a few days. I wouldn't want to start the game and not get to play it for almost a week. Especially if all I am going to get to play is the tutorial.

I wish I could join in the conversation and give my impressions.
Well enjoy the break, there's a good chance I'll be at the same spot next week as I'm seriously considering restarting.

I decided that I would dispense with the crafting altogether and sold all my stuff. According to several guides I looked at today, that was a terrible mistake.

I was really looking for a combat guide though, as I have been unable to get my head around it. I can't land a blow on any of the monsters without taking a heavier blow in return, meaning each fight comes down to who runs out of health first. I can't circle the enemy and hit them from behind, so each fight is a load of rolling around trying to get an opening, with horrible results. There is however, some kind of 'soft lock-on' in the game, which I will try later.

I'm sure this is entirely my own fault, but it's got to the point now where I'm looking at my 'build' and regretting the decisions I have made.

That said, after 8 hours I'm only Level 4, so I could be deluding myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
* not sure when I get it, console versions seem to have pretty bad loading times and framerate issues and I don't want to upgrade my PC until autumn
* I'm a bit worried about the open world, and how much typical open world busywork it will contain
a) I haven't experienced either of these. I don't usually notice frame rates though, unless they are quicksand-like. The PS4 version is fine, no tech issues.
It is a bit janky in your movement, trying to get on your horse, run through doors etc..

b) Not too much busywork. The internet is raving about the quest variety, which I think is people overhyping themselves a little. There are fairly standard quests as far as I can tell. There aren't an overwhelming amount of them, though I haven't been 'activating' every quest on the notice boards, so I don't have the little ? signs popping up all over the map.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

How aggravating is the clunky control scheme for someone who is still on the Bloodborne tail end and already annoyed enough that it takes just a few milliseconds to long to get from walk to sprint there? I remember Geralt in TW2 being as agile as a pregnant hippopotamus on a unicycle at times, especially coming from Dark Souls (which, for the record, is glacial compared to Bloodborne). I heard it got much better with the advanced combat DLC/update/mod (was it official-official?) but I couldn't be asked to suffer through the game again. Especially after the MOST ANNOYING BOSS BATTLES IN RECENT MEMORY (sorry).
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Geralt actually moves pretty fast in this one, in fact he is constantly overshooting his target and bumping into doorframes, picket fences etc.

It's a bit awkward, not super annoying yet but you are aware of it.

I'm convinced the combat will become deep and rich once I figure out the one simple trick I need to become competent at it.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
Pedro
128-bit Poster

The load times are pretty long actually, I just hadn't noticed. About a minute each time.

Now that I have turned the combat down to easy, I don't die as much though, so it's all good.

I may turn it up again once I get the hang of it.

Last night I discovered a boat and just tooled around in it exploring the coastline. I saw some intriguing stuff in the distance which when I checked it out was gated behind difficult monsters/locked doors, but I liked exploring and seeing where all I could go.

I eventually stumbled into the main quest again by accident and completed some of that.

The sailing is great, very relaxing. I will do some more over the weekend.