About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #76
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

I found the ring and I also found out that the lightning caster falls down if I fire enough arrows at him. But it cost me some attempts to cross the bridges in one piece, since I am notoriously bad in not falling to my death all the time. Most of my deaths in Demon's Souls were because of me falling off a cliff after all. Also, I found that nice lightning spear after poisoning the mimicry.

Anor Londo is pretty pretty I have to say, so far I only encountered those giant knight-people which seem to be quite vulnerable to fire. Having pyromancy ready makes life easy sometimes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:00 AM   #77
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I have to mention here how much I like the fact that armor for women doesn't consist of chainmail bikinis. Currently I'm using the black iron chestpiece & gloves together with the gold-hemmed black hood and skirt. Being clad in iron like that it's impossible to see that my avatar is supposed to be female.

Also, the lightning spear is ridiculously powerful. I'm not on my way to Ornstein & Fatty. Checked them out a bit as phantom already.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 AM   #78
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

AAAARGH NEW LONDO!

If you need any proof that Dark Souls can be not just unforgiving but also unfair at times you don't need to go any further than the New Londo Ruins. With Ghosts that can see and attack you through walls in an area with tight corridors. All while giving no souls when you finish them off and with a tendency for swarm attacks. Even after finding some shortcuts it's just aggravating. I do not approve.

After some hours of despair in New Londo I went back to Anor Londo. There I made my way into the castle and ponder how I should deal with the titanite demon in close quarters. So far I always fought them on long range. Also, I find the silver knights more difficult than the black knights. Especially the one with sword & shield, since he's turning so quick it's almost impossible to get in his back.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #79
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Favorite moment so far: reaching the top of Sen's Fortress. Gorgeous views from there.

I was summoned and helped beat the Golem. I then kept playing for half an hour waiting for some player signals. Nothing. I just gave up and decided to try the boss by myself. Kept falling and dying for another half an hour, until I had the brilliant idea of hitting it with arrows and magic. Ran through his legs just far enough to avoid his wind attack and kept hitting. Rinse and repeat.

15 minutes later, he kneeled in pain and I just put him out of his misery.

Anor Londo looks massive and really difficult. I think I'll go back and try New Londo.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #80
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

I left Anor Londo. I know I'm not prepared for that boss fight.

Explored a little bit of the Catacombs and found a lot of useful items there. I then decided to go to the Great Hollow and managed to enter the Dragon covenant in Ash Lake. It's a bit annoying to realize that the place is a dead end, forcing you to go back. Got the Dragon Sword but I'm still far from the strength required to use it. I'm at soul level 53 at the moment.

I think I'll finally try to finish New Londo Ruins before heading to Anor Londo.

I also met the cat NPC, joined the covenant and got the ring. I was then summoned but some guy with magic destroyed me in 1 hit. What are we supposed to do in there with the ring?

Those giant cats in Darkoot are extremely hard to beat because of the terrible framerate. I think it's even worse than in Blightown.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #81
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Hah, I'm on a roll today...
After being stomped into the ground repeatedly yesterday, I stomped some heads myself today.

Stomped:
Ornstein & Smough (I stopped counting... more than a dozen tries?)
Great Wolf Sif (4th try)

Plus, I have new weapons. Quelaaghs Furysword really saved me in my struggle against Sif. I also think the fire damage impressed Laurel & Hardy more than the lightning damage from my usual spear. Now I want the Dragon Hunters Spear (for which I need some more titanite to get a spear to +10 first) and got my Claymore to +7 already. With magic weapon the claymore does more damage than the furysword, I'm looking forward to see what a Claymore +15 can do.

I also changed covenants to the Princess Guard. Not sure why, actually. I got some items from it... which are useless since I'm going for strength and pyromancy. But 'Princess Guard' sounds at least better than 'Way of White'.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #82
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm stuck on Ornstein and Smough. I'm not a very good gamer and I resent that they made having to summon help necessary for me. Myself and my brother are going to hook up and try and get them this weekend.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #83
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I would recommend to summon the Knight Solaire at the stairs in front of the fog gate. He can take quite a beating and with a bit of luck one of them occupied while you take apart the other. In my opinion this fight is almost impossible without summon, divide and conquer is the key to win here. Also, I noticed they take more damage from fire-based weapons and attacks. I heard it's 'easier' to take out Ornstein first, but I did it with Smough first and didn't find the second stage of Ornstein to be more difficult than the second stage of Smough.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #84
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Returned to the undead asylum, beat the Stray Demon after a dozen tries. Continued to the Painted World of Aramis, where I stabbed another undead dragon to dead (first try), found and killed Phalanx, who is a bit more colourful than in Demon's Souls. Also, Phalanx got degraded to a regular, respawning enemy. Bit disappointing. Bumped into a boss with fancy feather-dress, scythe and tail who talked instead of fighting right away and asking me to leave peacefully. Contemplating my options I left her alone. If I feel like it I can still come back and stab her in the back but I don't see how she can be harm to anyone as long as she stays in her painting.

Now I have the dragonhunter spear but not the dexterity to wield it. NOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #85
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Beat two more bosses.
Demon Firesage (3rd attempt) - who is exactly the same as the Stray Demon, just on fire.
Centipede Demon (2nd attempt) - the centipede itself wouldn't be so tough, if the fight wouldn't take place in lava...

I guess I should start with the big four, to fill the lordvessel...
Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #86
BloodTsunami
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 BloodTsunami is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot stress enough how helpful Iron Flesh is against these types of bosses. If it's big and slow, just Iron up, grab a big ass weapon or spell and go to town. They will no longer be an issue.

If you have no Pyromancy, then you're in trouble. You'll really want it for one big boss in particular I assure you.
BloodTsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #87
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I have iron flesh, but I hardly ever use it. My character uses a mix of light and heavy armor and light weapons with fast attack speed rather than high damage to stay mobile. Iron flesh is the antithesis of what I'm going for

I'm also not sure if iron flesh increases magic resistance? The main attack of the stray demon and demon firesage seem to be magic and pretty much ignore regular armor.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #88
BloodTsunami
New Poster

If what you're going for is beating him, then give it a shot. Trying to make one technique work for every boss is gonna be torture.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #89
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Now I experimented a bit more with Iron Flesh and... holy hell, that spell is awesome! You are right BloodTsunami, against slow moving beasts with big weapons using iron flesh and a big weapon is an easy way of showing who's the boss. I strolled through the tomb of giants yesterday and the giant skeletons were laughably easy to beat having iron flesh up and a claymore+13 two-handed. I cleared most of the tomb up until the fog gate with the boss (also got the large divine ember) as well as lowering the water level in New Londo earlier on.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #90
BloodTsunami
New Poster

Glad it did the trick. It's certainly not great for cruising through the game, or just unnecessary. But it's great to have for most bosses. I didn't bother with it at all on my first playthrough (I never got it before the trainer took off). I made sure it was my first priority on my second.