About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
tehmaster
New Poster

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

i liked the first one alot, my lone beef was that I had a friend who hyped it up so much and loved. Solely because of it's difficulty.

I just don't think the more difficult a game becomes, the better it is. It's the same thing as thinking a movie is good because it is convoluted (Inception).
tehmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #17
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

New trailer! See! See!

Dark corridors - check
Traps - check
Instakill traps - check
Indiana Jones memorial boulder - check
Dragon's lair - check
Giant monsters that probably kill you with a single swing - check
Weird monsters that I will be too puzzled by at first to actually fight back - check
A dragon which might actually be fought in a more interesting way than the dragons in 1-2, 1-4 and 2-3 of Demon's Souls - check
Released October this year -
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Ha ha, looks good! I like that it's not as dark as before and you can actually see what's ahead.

Lots of shit falling on top of you, to go with the constant death-plunges.

Does that giant knight actually pick you up and throw you somewhere?

I'd imagine you'd still have to keep your distance and whittle down the dragon's health. Wait, I wonder if it is possible to kill the dragons with Storm Ruler in the first one? I might try that tonight.*

I agree with you Li-Ion that Demon's Souls is probably the best game of this console generation. Hopefully this will be great too.

*EDIT: It isn't.

Last edited by Pedro; 05-11-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I'd imagine you'd still have to keep your distance and whittle down the dragon's health. Wait, I wonder if it is possible to kill the dragons with Storm Ruler in the first one? I might try that tonight.*
The Storm Ruler is a bit of a missed opportunity in Demon's Souls. As it is now it's just a one-trick-pony for one boss fight. Would have been cool if the special attack versus flying targets would work anywhere else. After all there are not THAT many flying targets around in the other levels that it would cause huge balance issues. Well...

The fights against dragons were a bit disappointing in Demon's Souls. The Tower Knight, Flamelurker, False King or Maneater (how I hate that boss!) were much more interesting than the fights against all the dragons. Those were more annoying than anything else.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #20
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
The Storm Ruler is a bit of a missed opportunity in Demon's Souls. As it is now it's just a one-trick-pony for one boss fight. Would have been cool if the special attack versus flying targets would work anywhere else. After all there are not THAT many flying targets around in the other levels that it would cause huge balance issues. Well...

The fights against dragons were a bit disappointing in Demon's Souls. The Tower Knight, Flamelurker, False King or Maneater (how I hate that boss!) were much more interesting than the fights against all the dragons. Those were more annoying than anything else.
Yes, it might have been better if there had been an application for something like Storm Ruler outside of its level. On the one hand, they're dragons, and it makes sense that you have to treat them with kid gloves as they're unfightable. So the shooting them with 200 arrows over 20 minutes makes perfect sense - how else would you kill them? And the grindy aspect of this kind of fits in with the rest of the game - it's the same as doing a speed run through a level in order to get enough souls to level up.

On the other hand, it would have been nice to see an alternative strategy to ranged. Something like a fireproof pillar you could hide behind, or a one-use weapon or shield you could get. I guess in all the stages, you can actually run past the dragon (not sure about the last one), so there is that alternative too.

Hmm, we don't have much to complain about with this game, eh?

I loved the fact that you didn't have to go toe-to-toe with all the bosses and that the developers offered you those options.

As regards Dark Souls, I don't like the look of those pendulums. If they are near the end of the level and I have to re-do the whole thing on a timing issue, I'll go mad.

Even though it is open-world, there are obviously still archstones, so I guess you still clear levels in some way as you progress.

I wonder if the atmosphere will suffer seeing as there are less dark locations. Maybe the open-world aspect of if is overstated.

I'm playing a bit of NG+ at the moment and am amazed that I have to re-think my tactics again. The ability of enemies to one-hit me is a killer. I really need to get through the Shrine of Storms (need Bladestone, need Swollen Soul, and need that easy farming area at the end), but I died carelessly (is there any other way?) a few times and now goddamn fucking Black Phantom Satsuki is guarding the gate and kills me every time.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
On the one hand, they're dragons, and it makes sense that you have to treat them with kid gloves as they're unfightable. So the shooting them with 200 arrows over 20 minutes makes perfect sense - how else would you kill them?
My main criticism with the dragon-fights is not that they would be too "tough", but that the dragon-AI is non-existent. I don't like boss fights where the only challenge comes from the amount of hitpoints the boss has. I would rather see the dragons exhibit a wider array of moves and have less hitpoints. For me it makes no sense that a dragon would pass over the same piece of bridge 500 times and not incinerate the person sitting on top of the tower next to it, which is firing arrows in it's skull for the last hour
But I give the designers the benefit of a doubt, there were maybe technical limitations or budget constraints from making those fights more interesting. After all, nobody expected DS to become such a hit.

Quote:
On the other hand, it would have been nice to see an alternative strategy to ranged.
I don't have a prolem with switching to ranged. I played a knight but enjoyed quite a bit to quickly switch between bow, sword and magic spells if the situation required it. I just hope that magic and mundane weapons are better balanced in Dark Souls. With a pure magic user you could do insane amounts of damage after a while, which made some of the fights rather easy.

Quote:
Hmm, we don't have much to complain about with this game, eh?
Yeah, you could say if your main complaint about a game is that a minority of boss fights could have been a little bit better, its probably a good game

Regarding the open world aspect I am curious how they will manage that. Apparently there will be no more nexus. So I wonder if there will be settlements where you can buy and repair weapons and armor? I hope black phantoms won't be able to invade that and kill your shopkeepers

Its the spiritual successor, so I assume it will keep something like the soulform and archstones where you respawn upon death. But since the world is "open" I really wonder how the pvp aspect will work out.

I started a bit NG+ myself (with my Knight, not the Mage, just to have some challenge ) and even though I thought I "know" the game by now I was caught off guard a couple of times. Since I happen to have pure white character tendency now I want to check out all the places that were hidden from me the first time around.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #22
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

More Dark Souls Previews:

Eurogamer.net
Gamespot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogamer
Whole buildings riddled with rolling boulders, pick-ups that only want to lure you over steep drops: it's the Mario game we might get if Miyamoto ever goes through a reaaally bad break-up.

But if the price of Dark Souls is eternal vigilance, the reward is a game that feels like no other: a circus of nasty precision and of gleeful cruelty.

[...]

Within seconds a giant man on a distant walkway has noticed us and starts chucking rocks our way.

Rocks that explode.

Forget the spiritual sequel stuff, then. Dark Souls is Demon Souls in every way that matters: in the intimidated stance of your character, in the wonderful triangulation of sword, shield and magic, and in that strange internal glow that travels with you, staining nearby walls gold.

It's Demon Souls Plus - bigger, more elaborate, and meaner. And it'll be here in time for Halloween.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #23
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

In case you didn't hear, all pre-orders of Dark Souls will be upgraded to Collector's Edition.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #24
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Jesus, I'm starting to get a shiver down my spine thinking of this game now!

Hmmm, in the Eurogamer comments one guy says:

Quote:
I cant wait for Dark Souls, I like the fact that you can use beacons, hopefully they will be in offline mode also. Instead of having to do the full level again, wont make life easier, but at least there wont be as far to travel when you inevitably get killed.
...but I don't think it's implied in the article that Beacons will be portable save points? I must say I am a bit conflicted about this....in DS, I had to resort to Youtube in order to see how to beat some bosses; there was no way I was going to keep redoing the level in order to get instantly killed while trying to figure out a strategy. So a save point just before the boss would have been good. At the same time, I can totally understand why there are none, and it definitely would affect the game adversely if there was.

So I can see that if you were allowed to carry a single save point that you could drop, it would be a great idea. Hardcore players could choose not to carry it, and the rest of us would have the delicious tension of. 'Do I drop this now, or do I just push on a tiny bit more? I'll just peek around this corner...aaarrrggghh!'.

But has this idea been floated anywhere or did the guy misunderstand?

Quote:
I don't have a prolem with switching to ranged. I played a knight but enjoyed quite a bit to quickly switch between bow, sword and magic spells if the situation required it. I just hope that magic and mundane weapons are better balanced in Dark Souls. With a pure magic user you could do insane amounts of damage after a while, which made some of the fights rather easy.
I learned one spell in my first playthough. One! And that was poison cloud because I couldn't deal with Flamelurker.

Although it came in really useful in NG+ too. I eventually got that bastard Black Phantom Satsuki with it.

Quote:
Regarding the open world aspect I am curious how they will manage that. Apparently there will be no more nexus. So I wonder if there will be settlements where you can buy and repair weapons and armor? I hope black phantoms won't be able to invade that and kill your shopkeepers
I know. Awesome possibilities! I don't like that the devs are emphasising the multiplayer so much though. I hope the game is beatable in single player.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #25
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I doubt that those beacons will act as "save anywhere"-feature like your average quicksave/quickload function. I think it will probably be more like a save that allows you to get back to the game the position you left it. I can't imagine that From Software would include a feature that would make the game considerably easier

Quote:
I learned one spell in my first playthough. One! And that was poison cloud because I couldn't deal with Flamelurker.
Really? I found spells and miracles to be true life savers. I usually have warding and/or light weapon memorized and evacuate is great for a quick retreat if shit hits the fan

Quote:
I know. Awesome possibilities! I don't like that the devs are emphasising the multiplayer so much though. I hope the game is beatable in single player.
I'm pretty sure it will be. After the PSN debacle they can't presume that every PS3 owner is online and not every Xbox owner uses XBL gold.

I will for sure play online again. The online aspect of Demon's Souls was brilliant and I don't feel like playing it in offline mode anymore...
Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #26
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Really? I found spells and miracles to be true life savers. I usually have warding and/or light weapon memorized and evacuate is great for a quick retreat if shit hits the fan
Yeah, I don't usually play a mage in RPGs so I totally ignored the magic and miracles. I'm going for the 'learn all miracles' achievement this time through though, and I also just learned Soulsucker which is endless fun. It never gets old to backstab that Black Skeleton at the end of 4-1 and get 10,000 souls. I'm thinking of turning some of the worlds black so I can backstab a few Black Phantoms too.

Quote:
I will for sure play online again. The online aspect of Demon's Souls was brilliant and I don't feel like playing it in offline mode anymore...
The thing is, PSN went down just as I was hitting a decent soul level, so I went through the second half of the game without any online play. So I'm a little afraid to go back online now as it could be a bit of a headache while I'm trophy whoring. So I've kinda missed out on the online aspect.

There are some very nice Dark Souls screens on Amazon
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #27
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Dark Souls jumped straight to the top of the Japanese charts. We still have to wait another week to finally play it and I am eagerly waiting for my pre-order to be shipped

p.s. I'm also happy to see that Shadow of the Colossus/Ico HD sold pretty well.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #28
JLB1987
Sex machine

Pre-ordered my copy. Naturally, this is partly due to the critical acclaim of Demon's Souls, but I have heard from a couple of sources that Dark Souls is going to be "all-in-box"; that is, no DLC. I really hope this is true. I wanted to show my support in a way that the publishers will take notice of, that is, with my money.

Be a while until I get to play it, unfortunately. Lots and lots of thoughts on here as to what I can expect would be very much appreciated...

Here is the Metro/ GC review.

Last edited by JLB1987; 10-02-2011 at 07:04 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #29
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I could write my very own top 5 why Dark Souls is better than Skyrim but I don't want to attract rampaging Skyrim fanboys & girls

Yes, Dark Souls is also nicely 'old-fashioned' in the way everything is right there from the start and no dlc announced. Also, your goodies for pre-ordering are the same regardless where you pre-order. This is a nice change compared to the modern day nonsense where you have to buy 3 to 5 versions of a game if you would like to have the complete package right away, since every major retailer has a different pre-order incentive. The different versions of DXHR gave me a headache and I still didn't get LA Noire or Red Dead Redemption party because of that. I guess gamestop might be a bit annoyed by not having some special dlc but honestly, who cares?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #30
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

update on the reviewing front:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogamer.net
If role-playing is to put you in the boots of an adventurer in a strange land and let you pick your path through it, then Dark Souls is a great role-playing game. If action is to test your skill in thrilling situations, then Dark Souls is a great action game. If adventure is to surprise and mystify you and invite you to uncover the secrets of a forgotten world, then Dark Souls is a great adventure game.

If entertainment is fun without failure and progress without pain, you'll have to find it somewhere else. But you'll be missing out on one of the best games of the year.
Eurogamer Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ign.uk
There are some things that only videogames can do. For me, Dark Souls' predecessor Demon's Souls was emblematic of all of them. Where most games do their best to be something else – to tell a story like a novel, to impress with cinematic techniques like a film – Demon's Souls is pure game, a complete and darkly fascinating vision that makes no concessions to the modern conception of how games should be. Instead, it was an exploration of how games could be; how bleak, how twisted, how focused and – most famously – how challenging. Most developers take pains to protect you from failure. FROM Software turns it into an artform.
IGN Review

edit:
Gamespot Review
Edge Review
Joystiq Review

Last edited by Li-Ion; 10-03-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote