About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Kadeemluvmusic

Rep Power: 0 Kadeemluvmusic is an unknown quantity at this point
Kadeem's Review: WWE Smackdown VS. RAW 2011

WWE is keeping the ball rolling in the all-new game Smackdown VS. RAW 2011 and that brings back some memories.

Pros: fantastic changes including the new WWE Universe mode, create a match and story designer, and lets you use Tables, Ladders, and Chairs.

Cons: Road To Wrestlemania is different, brand new content featuring the brutal force of The Nexus to legendary hall of famers is a little bit confusing. Commentary looks awful including Michael Cole's new attitude.

It's been a 10-year decade since WWE Smackdown blows the roof as wrestling fans continue to dominate the world of pro wrestling. With over a million copies worldwide and great positive feedback from fans and critics, WWE Smackdown VS. Raw is still the undefeated fighting series in the world.

In WWE Smackdown VS. RAW 2011, it's all about fundamentals. There are brand new changes to the game similar to last year's 2010 version. The Career Mode has been switched to "WWE Universe" mode in which players can become one of WWE big dogs in the ring. Storylines and rivalries are a better example if you want to become a champion. Whatever match type the ring has evamped, then they choose like for instance Hell In A Cell, Royal Rumble, Elimation Chamber, you name it.

Last year, "The Road To Wrestlemania" story mode surprised us with a setting of 4 WWE superstars and an Ex-WWE Diva, Mickie James. Now, there's a lot of circulation in the 2011 version because I felt a little strange with new wrestlers added in the storyline as they try to end The Undertaker's 18-0 streak at Wrestlemania. No superstar has ever beaten The Undertaker's since his debut at Wrestlemania in 1991, but who has the ultimate chance of redemption and who can beat The Undertaker?

Its like you're in a living room enjoying Monday Night Raw in the comfort of your own home and next thing you know you've been hitting the wrong buttons many times. There's no telling what's gonna happen in the game.

The PS3 and XBOX 360 versions are way cool because now that you remark a landslide contest of brains vs. smarts, the online pass feature will totally knock the edge of your horses. Online Pass will access you with free online games and you can compete with up to 12 players worldwide. Simply when you buy SVR 2011, you will get a trial for like 10 days or so on.

Here's the bad side: "Road To Wrestlemania" lets you wander around the locker room (the same as "WWE Smackdown:Shut Your Mouth") which is a little calm but more serious, the commentary is somewhat jealous, and Havoc physics may be laggy, but it's OK.

I have a collection of Smackdown VS. Raw games at home and it was pretty cool, no problems at all. Although 2011 may be a promising game whether it's the mistakes they surely tweaked or the better features than last year's success. I think this is the best WWE game ever played and I'm saving it on my holiday shopping list.

WWE Smackdown VS. RAW 2011
THQ/Jakk's Pacific/Yuke's
Playstation 3, XBOX 360, Wii, PSP, DS
Released: 10/26/2010
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 stars
Kadeemluvmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: Kadeem's Review: WWE Smackdown VS. RAW 2011

just off the bat:

It's been a 10-year decade since WWE Smackdown blows the roof as wrestling fans continue to dominate the world of pro wrestling. With over a million copies worldwide and great positive feedback from fans and critics, WWE Smackdown VS. Raw is still the undefeated fighting series in the world.

Syntax wise that opener is pretty rough. I get that you're trying to say that it's a great franchise and it's very popular, but a game review on this site (IMHO) doesn't seem to be about using 'if alot of people like it, it must be great' statements. It's about YOUR opinion. What YOU like about it. That's it.

What do you LIKE about wrestling games? Do you like the way the characters are represented? Do their moves feel 'right' for them? How is the timing of the controls? Are there issues with loading times? Things like that. You know what I'm saying?
The only thing you can really give people is your opinion. You don't have to hold it back - LEAD with it.

Last edited by RandomRob; 11-20-2010 at 10:36 PM.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Syntax wise that opener is pretty rough. I get that you're trying to say that it's a great franchise and it's very popular, but a game review on this site (IMHO) doesn't seem to be about using 'if alot of people like it, it must be great' statements. It's about YOUR opinion. What YOU like about it. That's it.
To be honest, I thought that paragraph was perfectly valid, what he says is absolutely true. The WWE series is the most popular wrestling game series ever, and critical feedback is usually fairly positive, I think.

I do have a problem with the way this review is written... perhaps it's a bit judgemental and wrong of me to think this, but if Brad started using phrases like "way cool" in his reviews, he'd lose a lot of credibility with me.

I just think that, in general, this review is really badly written. For example:

Quote:
Here's the bad side: "Road To Wrestlemania" lets you wander around the locker room (the same as "WWE Smackdown:Shut Your Mouth") which is a little calm but more serious, the commentary is somewhat jealous, and Havoc physics may be laggy, but it's OK.
You start off by saying it's a bad part of the game, but really give any reasons why other than the physics being laggy, and then say it's ok?

I try not to be too critical of user reviews on here; at least, until I finally get round to doing a review myself and seeing if I could do any better. But I think this is a really poor review that would need a lot of work before being posted again.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
coyls3
32-bit Poster

This is posted in the wrong place.
coyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote