About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Kin Korn Karn

Fallout: New Vegas

Picked it up yesterday but haven't plugged it in yet. I'm actually taking Friday off from work so I can sit down and get into it. Not much time to play games with the kiddo taking up most of my free time, so looking forward to it.

Anybody else hopping out of the vault?
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
gamevet

Re: Fallout: New Vegas

I still have Broken Steel and Point Lookout waiting to be played in Fallout 3. I really want to play New Vegas though.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I read a lot about bugs, glitches and freezes (oh, right, it's an Obsidian game!) and don't feel like buying a game that needs a patch first. I might pick it up when it comes as 'GOTY-edition' with all the inevitable DLC and patches.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
farfus
pretty cool dude

Playing the 360 version as we speak and i love it! Its fallout in all its glory! No patches needed, either for the 360 version. Ive always heard the ps3 version is inferior, though...

Last edited by farfus; 10-25-2010 at 07:23 AM.
farfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I read a lot about bugs, glitches and freezes (oh, right, it's an Obsidian game!) and don't feel like buying a game that needs a patch first. I might pick it up when it comes as 'GOTY-edition' with all the inevitable DLC and patches.
My plan exactly!! I'm really hoping they do the same sort of thing as they did with Fallout 3, with the GOTY Edition and the extra crap everyone else had to download. I have no Xbox live, so if I want everything (and, being a huge Fallout fan, I do want everything!) I really have no choice but to wait.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Kin Korn Karn

I can totally understand waiting for a GOTY edition, as you know it will roll around eventually. Having thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3 (and purchased the game three times, twice for XBOX due to my first disc breaking, and the GOTY for PS3) I just can't wait that long. I'm happy to spend more money now, and deal with the bugs.

Speaking of bugs, I have only been able to put in about 6-7 hours thus far and I haven't encountered any that I have noticed.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
JLB1987
Sex machine

How is the game in general so far? I'm tempted to buy a copy now, and just sell it and buy the GOTY edition in a year or two when it's eventually out.

I've heard a lot about corrupt save files on New Vegas, which is the main thing holding me off from buying it right now.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
farfus
pretty cool dude

Ive played probably 10 hrs now and no probs, on the 360 version. Most reviews ive seen are fairly favorable towards the game...
farfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

If I wasn't a fan of Fallout 3, will New Vegas change my mind?

I liked Fallout 1, I loved Fallout 2, I stopped playing Fallout Tactics because it missed the RPG. The only part of Fallout 3 I fondly remember is the character creation. After that I just remember running through boring looking wastelands and talking to unreal looking NPCs. What pulled me out of the experience the most was bad scripting in Megaton however.

[spoiler]

I told Lucas Simms about the plot to blow up megaton. We went to Mr. Burke and after some chatting he pulled out his gun. That didn't come as a surprise to me. In fact: I stood with my assault rifle ready to pull the trigger at any weird move he would make. I redecorated the wall with Mr. Burkes brain before he could shoot at Simms. Lucas was fine and I left the bar. However: as I went back in he was lying on the floor, dead. Apparently Mr. Burke (which was only a naked, dead body in the corner, since I already looted everything) came back from the dead while I was not looking and killed Simms. WTF?

[spoiler ends]
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I noticed F3 would get into some macaca process where all the dead bodies of a previous killing spree in an indoor area would jiggle madly and make alot of noise when I returned to the area. Havok indeed.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
JLB1987
Sex machine

Li-Ion, I sort of know what you mean... at first, I thought it wasn't possible to

(Sigh, Spoiler)

save Lucas Simms... In fact, one time I killed that bad guy, went outside thinking I'd saved Simms, and he was dead on the floor. I assumed it was a scripted event where Lucas had to die. Only through reading on the internet did I find out he could be saved, you just have to be really quick.

(/spoiler)

Not sure if you knew that, that's all

Last edited by gamevet; 10-27-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
If I wasn't a fan of Fallout 3, will New Vegas change my mind?
Probably not. It's more of the same. Whatever you didn't like about Fallout 3 is still present in NV.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
Gog
New Poster

I really don't see what the fuss is all about. Seems like it's more of the same to me, which translates to more crap.

-Numerous bugs and glitches
-Hideous characters
-Boring script/story
-Gratuitous depravity
-Awful character animation
-Sense of immersion belittled by poorly scripted scenes and all of the aforementioned elements
-Rusty FPS controls
-The badly implemented VATS system
-Poor AI
-Sterile level design
-Gray and brown
-Fetch quests
-Undercooked RPG elements
-No strategic aspect whatsoever to the combat
-No sense of skill, progress or fulfillment
-Lack of variety that makes the game overlong and a chore to play

The list goes on and on. I played Fallout 3 inside out and I didn't manage to find a single shred of enjoyment. Hell, I'm having more fun with the cliché-ridden and juvenile grindfest that is Tales of Vesperia.

Last edited by Gog; 10-29-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
The list goes on and on. I played Fallout 3 inside out and I didn't manage to find a single shred of enjoyment.
You played a game as huge as Fallout 3 inside out, and didn't enjoy it at all? I'm on my second play-through, and I'm pretty sure, location and quest wise, I still haven't found even half the content yet. What I do know is that if I didn't like the game, I would have known that about one hundred hours ago. You're mad!

Last edited by JLB1987; 10-31-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
Gog
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
You played a game as huge as Fallout 3 inside out, and didn't enjoy it at all? I'm on my second play-through, and I'm pretty sure, location and quest wise, I still haven't found even half the content yet. What I do know is that if I didn't like the game, I would have known that about one hundred hours ago. You're mad!
Maybe I exaggerated a little bit when I said that I played Fallout 3 inside out, but I did complete all of the side quests (except for the ''find 30 bottles of cola'') and got through the main storyline. I also walked to all possible locations on the map and got to the level cap (20). I hated every minute I spent with this game, but I soldiered on, with the false hope that it would eventually grow on me or somewhat surprise me. At this point in time, I thought that a game this hyped and well-received, by critics and fans alike, couldn't be that mediocre. How wrong I was!

It's too bad you edited your message, because you summed it up perfectly; I am, in some way, a masochist. Sometimes I need to feel pain in order to truly appreciate what's good, and wasting all these hours on this tepid experience certainly filled me with sorrow and resentment, but it also transformed me; in the end, it allowed me to have a better understanding of what I look for in video games and what I despise.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote