About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
GameWiz101
New Poster

Thumbs up Please Rate This Review: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (PSN)

It's an 8-Bit Ass-Kicking Wonderland

HIGH Awesome 8-Bit NES Visuals, Amazing Soundtrack from Anamanaguchi and fun "Beat-Them-Up" Gameplay

LOW The game can be very difficult and frustrating if played solo

WTF No Online Co-Op...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless you’ve been sleeping under a rock, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is one of the biggest movies of the summer. It's based on a graphic novel about a guy named Scott Pilgrim who falls in love with Ramona Flowers, but in order to be with her, Scott has to defeat 7 of Ramona’s evil ex-boyfriends. That was enough for the developers at Ubisoft Montreal to make us one of the best downloadable video game adaptations to ever see light a day; this is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World...The Game.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is like a tribute to every side-scrolling beat-them-ups such as Streets of Rage and Double Dragon. But the game brings much more to the table, making it one of the best downloadable games I've ever played. But this game does come with its share of problems: such as no online co-op, no drop-in support and extremely hard difficulty. But as I was punching, kicking, throwing and annihilating anyone who stood in my way, with or without friends on my couch...I had fun, despite the problems.
I’ve read only 3 out of 6 Scott Pilgrim comics and seeing the style, feel of the comics come to life in 8-16 bit NES Visuals with all the hyper colors, beautiful backgrounds, awesome cartoony animations and overall flair made this game less outdated then I was expecting and more like something that has never been seen before. Zombies, Giant Robots, Flying Piggy-Banks from the “Secret Sub-Space Highway” are just a taste of how bizarre the world of Scott Pilgrim is and just how much effort was put into this game, it’s this kind of commitment and attention to even the weirdest detail that makes great games.

When I first started playing Scott Pilgrim vs. The World I had really low expectations. Mainly because I felt like it was going to be another awful video game adaptation of a great movie with broken fighting mechanics and 8-bit NES visuals which for me felt outdated since the beginning of 3D gaming. Then again you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, because as soon as I started playing it, I was hooked. I was proven wrong at my every prediction and I had fun kicking ass...all while jamming-out to an a amazing soundtrack by an infamous punk-band Anamanaguchi. I’m not kidding this is one of the best soundtracks you’ll ever get to hear in a video game...words cannot describe how amazing the soundtrack is, so Google it because it’s something you have to hear to believe. Anyway, the game also comes with RPG elements, meanings that you unlock new moves as you level up your character, whether it’s Scott, Kim, Stills or Ramona, and with all the coins you've collected from all the defeated foes or flying piggy-banks you can spend on health and upgrades turning your character into one of the most unstoppable forces in all of Ontario. But even with that statement the game is still very challenging even on “Average Joe” difficulty, it took me over 3 tries to complete the first level...it was very frustrating for me I actually threw my controller and gave up on the game for a few hours, but remembering how much fun I've had I came back to playing it over and over again even when I beat it...it's just so awesome and additing!!!!

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World the Game is an awesome PSN download and for only $10 it's a worthy purchase. But it’s still not perfect...it’s clear that this game is made to be played with other people, I was constantly outnumbered by 7+ enemies onscreen and I was forced to replay the same level over and over again, which caused me a lot of frustration because even on easiest difficulty it seemed nearly impossible to complete a level by myself. But despite that and no online support...the awesome and insane visuals, amazing soundtrack by Anamanaguchi and the amount of fun you’re going to have beating the living hell out of your attackers makes this game a worthy purchase. So with all the pros and cons Scott Pilgrim vs. The World The Game is not perfect but these were one of the 3-4 hours I’ve ever spend playing video games...I'm giving it 8.5 out of 10.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclosures: This game was obtained via Playstation Store and reviewed on the PS3. Approximately 3 hours of play was devoted to single-player modes and 0 hours of play to multiplayer modes.

Parents: The ESRB rated this game T for Teen: Animated Blood, Cartoon Violence, Language, Mild Suggestive Themes blood.

Deaf and Hard of Hearing: The game has no subtitles

Last edited by GameWiz101; 08-27-2010 at 12:31 PM.
GameWiz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Richard Naik
Lt. Cmdr. PopAndFresh

Re: Please Rate This Review: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (PSN)

Hey GameWiz, a few things to look at:

-Nix the bolding and the section headers at the beginning of each paragraph.

-You're separating sentences with ... a lot. While it's OK to do it sometimes, having this many of them feels awkward. On top of that, you've got some run-on sentences that could really stand to be broken up.

-Try to avoid speaking in the second person, I.E. use "I" in the place of "you". The review is all about your experience, and you don't want to be assigning value to the reader at every turn. I'm not saying don't ever use it, but try to limit it to places where you really want to speak to the reader.

-For the High, try to think of a specific moment or aspect instead of an overarching theme. For example, picking the visuals or the soundtrack alone would be fine.

-There are a lot of typos and grammatical errors, like "all of which despite being having an old-school design" and a few past/present tense inconsistencies.

-It doesn't really "flow" all that well, which I understand is an incredibly vague thing to say. You're jumping around a lot between different topics which feels strange, although fixing the run-on sentences might help out here.

This has got some rough spots, but give it a rewrite and we'll see where it stands. Thanks!
Richard Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
GameWiz101
New Poster

Re: Please Rate This Review: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (PSN)

Hey Richard

After reading your comments describing my mistakes, I've read the review once again and found the problems you have mentioned. I did a lot of editing on this, fixing most of the problems.

What should be mentioned is that the review is now much shorter, mostly because I had to get rid of some of the sentences that like you said felt awkward even for me as I was reading it, before the editing. Anyway I did my best on this "edited" version, changing a lot of problems....hope to hear from you and anyone else with responses, comments and suggestions.
GameWiz101 is offline   Reply With Quote