About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Late to the Party

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
Kin Korn Karn

Re: Oblivion

You can level sneak pretty easily, just sneak as much as possible when you can and you should level pretty high after a few hours of gameplay.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 AM   #17
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I have been sneaking around quite a bit and was never a problem until level 6 or 7 or so. But suddenly all my enemies got x-ray vision and eyes on the back of their heads, generally being able to spot me even when I sneak 50 meters behind them.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

wearing armor?
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Only light armor (fur and some leather).
Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
Kin Korn Karn

Try holding your breath

Seriously, they shouldn't be able to spot you too easily assuming you are hidden, and especially if you are not moving.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #21
farfus
pretty cool dude

I started up Oblivion about 3 weeks ago and have been having a lot of fun (its fairly routine to play 5-7 hrs non stop). Finally got the cure for being a vampire over with, i was a vampire for about 10 days and it literally sucked! Whatever benefits are outweighed by the constantly having to deal with the time of day. I just finished the quest so will look forward to seeing what its like just being a regular character again its been so long.
farfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #22
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I went back to my useless dunmer bard and spent hours sneaking behind the guards in cities to increase my sneaking and did that pretty much naked (the character, not me... ehm...). I don't like grind in RPG and Oblivion contains some of the worst grind I encountered so far:

* buying tons of flour, corn and apples to raise alchemy
* strolling behind npc's for hours to raise sneaking
* run around monsters, letting myself being punched in the face repeadedly to raise light armor
* be 'happy' when my armor degrades, as I can repair it to raise the armorer skill, which is fundamental if I ever want to increase my endurance.
* doing the ridiculous disc-rotating minigame with every npc ever encountered to raise spellcraft
* many, many more

I think the idea of having the levels more flexible than in conventional rpg is great, but something is off with the balancing if you have to spend hours in between exploring dungeons and slaying monsters to 'train', in order to keep your character competitive in combat. I guess it's not that much of a problem playing a fighter archetype, since you pretty much raise your main skills doing what your class is best.

Oblivion told me 'do whatever you like' but let's me run into a brick wall eventually, not handling well if someone actually just does what he wants, if that's happens to be not directly related to combat. In this respect Oblivion failed me big time. I have to congratulate Bethesda for the scope and vision in terms of building a world around the player. A world that is more convincing than most other RPG, especially their own Fallout 3. Too bad it all get's messed up by clunky game mechanics that don't get explained very well. I had to read through various wikis to get my head around the levelling process.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #23
farfus
pretty cool dude

I will say that fighting in the arena is really advantageous, i have been the Grand Champion for a while, and my last fight made $4,000 fighting three minotaurs. Its well worth it to do the arena, helps a lot to have that dough for one thing
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #24
farfus
pretty cool dude

Oh, thought id mention i just leveled my armorer skills to 75 and now can repair up to 125% which rocks! I can tell the difference already. Leveled up my alteration yesterday so i can open all hard locks (wish could extra hard). Pretty nice stuff in those higher level chests...
Old 09-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #25
JLB1987
Sex machine

I've been playing it a bit over the last week or so (unfortunately, most of my time is being taken up by Red Dead Redemption at the moment), and I'm trying really hard to get into Oblivion. I guess I'm just hoping it will just all 'click' in a few hours time, and I'll start to love it as much as Fallout 3. But I really can't see that happening.

My biggest problem with it is the Oblivion gates. There are meant to be loads, and so far I've only done the first one, which must have taken an hour. It takes everything that is great about the normal parts of the game (mainly, the exploration), and turns the games into linear hack 'n' slash nonsense.

I know I don't actually HAVE to do the main story-line, but I want to, and shouldn't be stopped because the developers saw it fit to include large sections which are no fun at all.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #26
farfus
pretty cool dude

That first Gate is a bit different it seems its more of a storyline to help create branches into the main and other side storylines. So its actually a bit different than just going into a gate and killing stuff. Ive done gates mainly to gain a few levels and make some money, plus when you close the gate you get nice additions to your weapons. There are definitely some draggy parts of the game, but now a full month into it i can honestly say its been worth my time (which has been considerable, ive got like 80 hrs now). But to each their own, not everybody likes the same game for sure. I am glad ive been playing Oblivion, though, i was a big Fallout fan, this game has some of those elements and even better in some ways. To say the least its a huge world, like Fallout is...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #27
Kin Korn Karn

It certainly isn't a "pick up and love it" game. It takes a bit of an investment. I think that most people who enjoy the game may tell you that they were either a bit overwhelmed by the game when they first started playing, or were put-off by the main story.

My advice is to ignore the gates, and enjoy the multitudes of quests available. Go explore, and see what you find!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #28
farfus
pretty cool dude

Well put, ive been the same level now for about three days doing different quests after having raised level really quickly on friday about 4 or 5 times. There are many ways to enjoy the game, ive level grinded, skill grinded, but done tons of very fun quests. And for the first time im actually being kinda a "bad" guy by being a member of the Dark Brotherhood, which has been both interesting and profitable. Still havent found out anything about the thieves guild but it must be out there somewhere lol. Deep game, lots to find here... does take digging, and i do appreciate the wikis...
Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #29
JLB1987
Sex machine

I'll give Oblivion credit where it is due; the wealth of different ways of playing will make me carry on for a good few hours yet.

I think the thing that annoyed me the most was during the first warp-gate, walking up this path to the big fort where you need to go to shut down the Oblivion gate. I was happily minding my own business, when suddenly this huge thing with spikes and stuff on it came out of the ground, blocking my way. Suffice to say, it made me jump, shout "ergh!", and made me look like a complete tit in front of my lady friend, who takes great pleasure in mocking me when I make a fool out of myself as it is. I havn't played it in front of her since.

The enemes scaling up to your level is certainly an obvious problem too. If anything, it seems beating enemies is more difficult on level 6 or 7 than when I was level 1 or whatever. I think Fallout 3 had this too, but I don't remember it being such a big deal; I think it countered that with the fact that, later in Fallout, you're making more money/ aquiring plenty of more powerful firepower anyway, so high level or not, it was easier to despatch scum than earlier in the game.

Last edited by JLB1987; 09-07-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: My refusal to use the 'preview' button before sending posts.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #30
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
My advice is to ignore the gates, and enjoy the multitudes of quests available. Go explore, and see what you find!
Well, I found the brick wall I mentioned a couple of times in postings above. My main issue with Oblivion is that my enemies managed to level more efficiently than I did. Instead of getting stronger my character was getting weaker in combat with every level up.

I finally stopped playing after almost 20 hours playtime, when I was ambushed by some wisp that was immune against normal attacks and no spell I had to my disposal did noticeable damage. In the wiki it said to stay at a distance, but after all my silver arrows were gone, I didn't have a chance of dealing damage unless going into melee range, where that beast killed me in a matter of nanoseconds. That it was invisible half the time didn't help either. I tried about a dozen times and managed to almost kill it on one occasion, but in the end had no chance.

By that point I didn't even start the main questline and have no idea what those gates are, that you're talking about.