About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Late to the Party

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
eaps
Husk of a Gamer

Too Human- the thread you all have been waiting for!

(and by you all, I mean Mr. Spaeth)

So I just started on the game. It's interesting. I really like the art style and the setting.

The controls are taking a bit to master... My consolation is that the game seems to be throwing Achievement after Achievement at me for stuff that I barely recognize that I'm doing. I had to go back and read the descriptions to figure out what I did. Go me!

One minor irritation: I turned on the subtitles because I play after my family has gone to bed and I can't blast the volume. (ah the joys of a 1-bedroom apt in NYC!) The cutscenes are fine, but during combat there is a ton of banter that I can barely hear and they haven't subtitled it. Am I missing anything?

Rumor has it that Mr. Lui will be hopping on board the "Too Human" bus pretty soon... looking forward to your thoughts!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
reason49
New Poster

Re: Too Human- the thread you all have been waiting for!

You generally aren't missing anything that your teammates are saying during combat. Don't get too used to the achievements either, many of them are tough to get.

I love Too Human. It is a flawed game, there's no doubting it, but I will defend the game until the end. The story is interesting, but the narrative lost me in parts -- if you aren't familiar with Norse mythology, it can get a little hard to follow.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever see a sequel.

If anyone would like to try coop, my gamertag is Fiddlemonger.
reason49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Oh, how I wanted to like this game.
It seemed like fun mix of melee and guns, RPG and action, myths and technology. But it failed to come together as a cohesive package, for me. Largely because of design choices. The way that attacking would caused me to slide toward my enemies. The odd camera work. The drawn out death scenes.

What I saw of the story was not movie quality, but I thought it worked well enough (better than average, for a game).

The way Dennis Dyack battled the Neogaf forums, I was on his side there. But I didnt like the game (the demo at least). As a series of bullet points, it sounded good. But the execution just didnt work.
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
eaps
Husk of a Gamer

I've only died a couple of times but the death scene has kind of worn out its welcome.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Tim Spaeth
Ready to Believe You

Damn, I totally missed this thread. I never scroll down this far. Maybe we should eliminate "Late to the Party" and move this to the "Next-Gen" thread. Because if any game is the ultimate expression of "Next-Gen" it's Too Human.

Chi and I are working out a Gamer Exchange Program -- I'm going to start Dynasty Warriors and he's going to play Too Human.

Eaps, which class are you playing? I found the Berserker aligned best with the combat mechanic -- sliding into enemies for massive melee damage...popping them into air...you just have to watch out for ranged attacks, but that's what rolling is for.

The story is audacious -- the re-imagining of the Norse gods as corporate CEO's is insane -- Dyack is nuts, and I love him for it. We need more Denis Dyacks. (Yes, I typed that.)

The death animation. There's no way for me to spin that; it sucks. All I can say is that eventually, you'll have seen it so many times that you'll become deadened to it. Keep a magazine next to you, or something. You'll reach for it instinctively every time the Valkyrie descends.

How are you enjoying the loot?
Tim Spaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
eaps
Husk of a Gamer

Hey Tim, I'm playing the Defender. I finally got some time in last night and just got to the first boss (Grendel). I used the completely wrong strategy and got my backside handed to me. Tonight I hope to finish that off.

The loot is good so far-- though you now know how far along I am. It's was cool to get the blueprints and then make a set of armor. Since I just finished looting Borderlands, I can't help but make the comparison. There doesn't seem like there is quite as much but the loot feels like it has more impact on the game.

The other quick thought is that the game really makes you feel like a bad ass. You can mow down robots left and right and the fierce attacks feel just right.

Like most action games, I'm not terribly good at Too Human. It's going to take me a while to get through it.