About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Games That Drop In Fall 2011

Here are the notable games of the holiday season 2011. What are you getting in the months to come?

Aug 23
Deus Ex Human Revolution: Already own. Love it! EDIT: After finishing I still really liked it, but not a GOTY contender. I still see a lot that they can do with this game. Maybe next time

Sept 6
Dead Island: This game looks like it can go either way. Good or Bad. Won’t have to wait too long to find out. EDIT: Bought off a friend cheap. What little I played I like. Too soon to tell how much I really like it.
Resistance 3: Not really a fan of the series, but I’ll check it out.
Disgaea 4: Pick up when it is cheap.
Driver: San Francisco: Heard good things about this game. Will wait for a price drop. EDIT: Bought off a friend really cheap. A lot of fun. Too bad people didn't notice it. Recommended if you like a racing game that is an alternative to the sims.

Sept 13
White Knight Chronicles II: Another game not sold on, but keeping a close eye on,

Sept 19
Kirby: Mass Attack: The DS last big holiday game

Sept 20
Gears of War 3: Not really a fan, but I’ll buy in 6 months when it is $30
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 Innocent Sin: It is SMT. What else can I say. Looking forward to playing the update.

Sept 27
X-Men Destiny: The fact that it hasn’t received a lot of buzz and that it is made by Silicon Knights makes believe that it is not going to be that good.

Oct 4
Rage: Looks really good. Glad to see id make a new ip.
Dark Souls: Spiritual sequel to the best game of this console generation. Day one buy for sure. EDIT: Bought. Love it! In my top of the year at least.

Oct 11
Forza 4: I am excited for Forza 3 to get a big price drop when this comes out

Oct 18
Batman Arkham City: Looks to make a great game even better EDIT: I like it, but it didn't pull me in all the way. Will play once I get through a few others.

Oct 24
Kirby’s Return to Dreamland

Oct 25
King of Fighters XIII: Could KoF redeem itself
Battlefield 3: If I get one FPS this holiday season this will be it.

Nov 1
Uncharted 3: Buy next year. Sure it is great, but I know what to expect.
Sonic Generations: Another year another Sonic game to get excited about then, most likely, let down. It is Sonic’s 20th, so I may buy. EDIT: Picked up for $29.99. I like it, but I wouldn't play anymore than I did for it. Modern Sonic still controls horribly. I do enjoy the challenge missions. Goo change up to the usual speed runs. Although they still are mostly speed runs.

Nov 8
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3: Not really feeling another Cod for the 5th year in a row.

Nov 11
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Never been into Elder Scrolls, but this looks promising.

Nov 13
Super Mario 3D Land: The game to own a 3DS for.

Nov 15
Saints Row The Third: Didn’t really like the first game, but this game looks ridiculous and fun
Assassin’s Creed Revelations: Loved the last 2 games. Will get this to finish the story.
Rayman Origins: Absolutely beautiful. Loved the original Rayman. Looking forward to his return to 2D
Shinobi 3DS: Most likely be disappointed with this one, but I am a big fan of classic Shinobi

Nov 20
Zelda: Skyward Sword: It’s Zelda. Will be buying the gold wiimote bundle.

Last edited by abfackeln; 11-11-2011 at 09:46 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Re: Game That Drop In Fall 2011

This looks like the biggest selection of games since 2007!

If I had to only pick 5 games to get this year they would be:

1. Deus Ex (Because I already own it)
2. Dark Souls
3. Super Mario 3D Land
4. Zelda Skyward Sword
5. Skyrim
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Games That Drop In Fall 2011

Probably only Dark Souls and Skyrim for me, though Uncharted will get a look in at some point.

Also, Madden 12 next week is a probable.

I think I'm getting a little jaded, nothing on the list excites me hugely. However, there are tonnes of older games which didn't grab me at the time at great prices in the stores - BFBC2, Portal 2 etc - and I have Far Cry 2, Alone in the Dark, Dead Space 2, Alpha Protocol, Little Kings Story etc all sitting here waiting to be played. So it makes sense to wait till next spring to play most of the ones on this list.

Miserable, I know!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Out of the games I know of that are coming out this fall/holiday, about the only game that I will probably buy is Rayman Origins. Hope it comes close to being as good as the original outing. If it's close, it will be worth it.

Depending on whether or not I pick up a 3DS, Super Mario Land 3D will probably also be a buy for me. I am thinking of picking up a 3DS, but actually for a remake ~ Star Fox 64 3D! Not sure why, but I'm really interested in this one...

Other than those, there aren't many purchases, but definitely a lot of games I will try via rental.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Doug Troy
Surly McDouchebag

I am 1000% pumped for Saints Row The Third. The first was 'eh', the second was great and this one is looking to continue following the "sandbox hedonism" template from the second. So I'm all about that.

New Batman also has me pumped. Gears 3 I'll wait on probably, Uncharted 3 I'm heavily considering, COD:MW3 has Gamefly written all over it and I have no interest in anything Elder Scrolls so me and Skyrim will never be bros.
"I actually talked to an Iraqi cabdriver last year in Salt Lake City about the war. He said it was like the US came and weeded his garden, but pulled out most of the vegetables in the process. Needless to say, he had mixed feelings. So I stiffed him on the tip. USA! USA! USA!"
Doug Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
crackajack
64-bit Poster

going to buy definitely:
Portal 2
Little Big Planet 2
Deus EX HR
Batman Arkham City
Ico Collection
Rage

probable buy:
Killzone 3
Alice Madness Returns
(art looks really nice)
God of War Origins (depends on if i am going to like GoW2 of the Collection)

possible buy
Dark Souls (Demons Souls was disappointing in many ways for me and i won't buy this time so blindly only because others see a GotY in this rather oddly designed game)
Dead Space 2
DNF
(just to play the running gag of the industry)

looking forward for their releases
rFactor2 (recently saw a tire wear video... awesome)
Last Guardian (depending on if i actually like the previous classics)
Asura's Wrath (the first trailer looked great, but i am sceptical after the gameplay trailers)
Dragons Dogma
The Cursed Crusade
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I already bought Deus Ex Human Revolution and it's excellent. Now about 22 hours in and getting a sense that shit is about to hit the fan. Love it! I was halfway through Assassins Creed 2 when I got DXHR and I doubt I can simply go back to AC2 after DXHR. The experience I had with AC2 was fun so far, but after playing DX AC2 just feels so repetitive and restricting. Thus I will get Space Marine as follow-up game. I loved the demo and it's just the right kind of game to get my trigger finger a workout after all the sneaky-stealthy action in DX. As soon as that is done I have still AC2 and Shadows of the Damned to finish before Dark Souls comes up. First day buy for me.

Other games from this fall I probably buy:
Rage - first new id IP in ages. It also doesn't "look" like an id game in the most positive sense of the word. I found Doom 3 utterly boring and really hope Rage is more than just another tech-demo.
Ico collection - never played Shadow of the Colossus or Ico, thus my chance to figure out why so many of those internet people are starting to get dreamy when talking about those games.
Batman Arkham City - it's Batman, do I need more reasons? But considering my limited time to play, probably buying it in 2012
Uncharted 3 probably buying it in 2012.
Assassins Creed: Revelations probably buying in 2012, but first I want to complete AC2 and AC: Brotherhood.

Watchlist:
Skyrim sounds and looks really nice and all, but I just don't get along well with Bethesda games. They always promise me the world. But when I try to explore I find they don't deliver on their promise and stop playing after about 15 to 20 hours, completely disillusioned.
Battlefield 3 looks and sounds amazing, but I am a bit worried about Origin, thus I'll wait and see how the service works.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Battlefield 3 looks and sounds amazing, but I am a bit worried about Origin, thus I'll wait and see how the service works.
me too, especially since my relic account got banned recently without any misuse on my side...

uncharted 3 is also a definite buy, though i have too much games waiting to get any game day one. Saves me money and i don't care when being late to the party.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Ah, forgot about the ICO collection; hopefully it will be as good as they say. Dark Souls and Skyrim are the biggies, though, and they are nicely spaced apart.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

I just found out last week that this game was being released on physical media: Bit. Trip Complete. Leaning heavily towards buying this one, especially with the extras being included.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Oh, just found out that Batman Arkham Asylum uses Games for Windows Live Thus I'll probably pick it up for my PS3 once it's in the bargain bin. There's enough other stuff coming out any way
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: Games That Drop In Fall 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Oh, just found out that Batman Arkham Asylum uses Games for Windows Live Thus I'll probably pick it up for my PS3 once it's in the bargain bin. There's enough other stuff coming out any way
Yeah that app is a giant festering information gathering piece of shit.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote