About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte
In Defense of Nintendo

Many changes in the gaming industry have taken place this generation. From unwarranted waggling to in-game content being withheld from the consumers as DLC or pre-order exclusives, many gamers are calling this one of the worst console generations from a consumer standpoint. Everyone's quick to hurl insults at publishers and developers for keeping a few extra maps and missions out of a finished game so that they can milk a few dollars out of later DLC, and at least a handful of us around here have been getting upset at the limited single player options offered by some games in favor of multiplayer, deathmatch type gameplay.

Now, I don't have this argument thought out too well right now, but it seems to me that with all the frustration being displayed, we have ignored a game company who seems to have shied away from these offenses: Nintendo.

Now I know, we all kinda hate Nintendo for introducing the motion control that has taken over our games for better or worse, but one has to admit that from a business standpoint, it was one of the smartest moves they ever made, with the Wii being one of the most wildly successful consoles it recent memory.

On top of that, as the waggle craze started to die down, Nintendo started shifting their game controls schemes from awkward waggle+nunchuck half-shooters, to more simple, elegant, 2-button action platformers of yesteryear.

I don't think enough has been said for how much we all still love 2D gaming. But Nintendo keeps appealing to us, it seems. Look at the recently announced Kirby game. Look at Retro Studios retro Donkey Kong game. Look at New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Simple games with simple pleasures that remind me of the joy s of simpler times, while still satisfying some or most of my modern visual expectations.

On top of that, Nintendo has pretty much steered clear of the DLC, limited content, and even $60 price tag of modern games. We aren't seeing special "EA-Multiplayer Pass!" on their console, and nor are we seeing the constant system updates that interrupt the little free time some of us have to sit down and play games. Instead we're seeing what a lot of us loved about console games all along. If you buy a console and buy a game, you have all the features of that games content right then and there, even if you bought it used.

Of course, there are some exceptions to be made. The Wii has some updating, but its not often. And the multiplayer mechanism isn't the best, but it still allows you to do what you want to do: play Mario Kart against everyone else. And DLC can be good or bad, but when you're paying $10 for a 1 hour side-mission, or worse yet, $5 for an in-game gun/costume, DLC is most definitely bad.

I'd like to hear what others have to say. Its entirely possible that this positive view of Nintendo's behavior this generation is coincidental, and that the reason they aren't implementing DLC and crazy update schemes is because their infrastructure simply won't support it. But, either way, this crap isn't happening on their console, and that's something to be commended, I think.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: In Defense of Nintendo

I don't see why Nintendo needs defending. As far as I can see N is still swimming on a wave of goodwill from a lot of gamers. And unless they spent all the money they made with wii and ds on diamond-encrusted jumbojets made from gold the company should be in a financially sound position.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Yeah but I usually hear a lot of negative things from the hardcore/console crowd. This website specifically seems to usually take a strong critical stance towards Nintendo's actions. Not that I disagree with them, really, though. I just thought it'd be nice to point out a few things that they seem to have done right.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Vince

Send a message via MSN to Vince Send a message via Yahoo to Vince

Nintendo is the 'halfway' company. They'll do something that the other companies do and what gamers expect, only halfway. I think they look at certain things at a cost point, and what sort of ROI a feature will bring in, and since is adverse to risk, fails to fully realize a competitive feature set.

Console gaming is moving away from object oriented towards service oriented, and Nintendo is not at the forefront of that movement. And that blindspot is what is causing the rift between the gaming community and Nintendo. The WiiU may be a step in rectifying the gap, but again their risk adversion culture muddles the picture of their future behavior.

I love Nintendo systems. I love how durable and comfortable their hardware is. For the most part, their 1st and 2nd party games feature first class gameplay. But as MS and Sony get gamers used to expect a certain level of service, Nintendo is left feeling out of touch with today's world.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Console gaming is moving away from object oriented towards service oriented, and Nintendo is not at the forefront of that movement.
But isn't that an issue many gamers complain about? The move away from boxed products to f2p models where you end up paying more than for a box. Or the massive amount of overpriced dlc and day 1-patches we see. The more or less "offline" console wii is - for all it's problems - not bothered by those problems. The main problem I see is that there have been simply not enough good games on the wii to play for... years now. I don't think the missing online service and connectivity is what is N's biggest problem. You can be connected as much as you want when there's no good games to play. N just messes up 3rd party support time and time again.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

And apparently they even mess up first/second party support when looking at the recent Xenoblade mess.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I don't know what you're talking about, I can buy Xenoblade in every shop around here
Apparently N of America thinks that only Mario, Zelda and shovelware are bought in the US.

That said, the we-uh gets Dragon Quest X exclusively, sounds neat.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Vince

I was going to focus my rant on Nintendo of America, due to the recent game drought they brought on by refusing to release certain games. But they still get a certain amount of direction from Japan so they aren't entirely at fault.

But you know, I can turn on my 360 or my PS3 and not only play games but play digital media available to my network. Game updates are seperate from system updates. I can choose storage sizes and locations. I prefer a wired network over a wireless one. To me, this is service. Having a network wide account that lets me view and edit from the web as well as from the machine is service. And this is where Nintendo fails for me as a gamer who now has a certain level of expectations thanks to the competition.

There are plenty of games I'm pleased with on the Wii. There are plenty of disappointments on the other systems too. I don't blame Nintendo, MS, or Sony though. I blame the developers and the publishers. In my mind I always hold up my middle finger and a big "F U" to everyone who blames Nintendo for crappy games but doesn't hold MS and Sony to the same standard.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

To be fair, though, Nintendo was the first one to have Netflix on their console, so they're not SO out of touch.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
Vince

Maybe in your part of the world, but here in the states the 360 had an exclusivity contract with Netflix for a year or so. Then Netflix launched on the PS3, but you had to use a disk to activate the program. Finally Netflix disks came to the Wii.

Of course now its just a download and an option in the launch window of the consoles, but I still have the PS3 netflix disk somewhere.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Was Nintendo not the first? Oh you might be right, actually...

I didn't count Microsoft, because their system required an Xbox Live gold account.

Oh well, I CAN WATCH MOVIES ON MY WII! There.

Apparently you can softmod Wiis pretty easily now and get all your media (and emulators) from a USB Hard Drive. I haven't tried it, but its very tempting. If it can emulate SNES and NES decently, then a hacked Wii would be the ultimate console for any Nintendo fan.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Vince

Isn't sad though, that a group of people were willing to make the Wii do what the other systems can do for free, and yet we can't pay Nintendo for the same features?

Yeah, my Wii has been modded for a few years now. I love playing Quake with the Wiimote. Just need someone to port Quake 3 with network support.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
Spokker
64-bit Poster

Nintendo doesn't charge $60 for games because they are essentially still making Gamecube games. Even though they still operate at the old $50 price, they take a long time to discount their older titles. You usually see Xbox 360 or PS3 games jump down to $40, then $30 and then finally $20. Never mind the PC, where you can get games for pennies on the dollar during the numerous sales.

They don't do DLC because the Wii isn't as orientated toward being online as the Xbox, PS3 or PC is. As Vince says, they only do things halfway, and connectivity is one of them.

There's no doubt that other companies have limited content to sell DLC, but I'm not sure how you can definitively prove that for individual companies. I don't think Bethesda did it with Fallout 3, to give one example. That was one hell of a single-player experience.
Spokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Like I said, I readily admit that some of the stuff Nintendo HASN'T done that other companies have done is simply because their technology/infrastructure isn't in place.

But that doesn't change the fact that they aren't actively screwing us over in those regards.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
Spokker
64-bit Poster

Well, if other companies are screwing you by offering downloadable content, then Nintendo is screwing you by releasing the same damn games over and over again, and sometimes with tacked on motion controls.

But then again, nobody is making you buy any of it. A lack of self-control is what allows bad DLC to thrive. Vote with your wallet.

Anyway, Nintendo treats their third-party partners like shit so there are hardly any options in that regard. I really want to know what the hell I'm supposed to use my Wii for if they don't plan to release any games for the damn thing. Hint: this is why 3rd-parties exist, Nintendo.
Spokker is offline   Reply With Quote