About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Health & Fitness

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda
Any suggestions?

Hey ho. Heres the problem, a fairly common one perhaps, but a problem nontheless.

I'm if the stocky body type, broad shoulder and chest ect, and overall quite proud of my rather musclular physique, barring one thing; my time in further and higher education has left me with a beer gut.

The problem is, now that its there, i can't seem to get rid. I've tried every diet under the sun, and I exercise almost every day, doing both cardio and weight training for a couple of hours. (I'd do this exercise regardless of my gut, I enjoy it)

I've recently dropped from 15 stone(about 95 kilograms) to 13 stone (82.5 kilograms) (i'm 5'9 if that helps anything, though I do think that BMI is bullshit) and yet, my gut is still there.

I know i'll never have a perfectly flat washboard stomach, and thats not what I want, i'd be happy to reduce my waist by another 2 inches (going from a 34 to a 32) but i've had this same problem for years, never being able to shed those last two inches from my stomach.

Anyways, that was quite the ramble, any advice?

Last edited by Adelleda; 08-27-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Re: Any suggestions?

From my own experience, I had a beer gut about a year ago and I did like tons of situps nearly everyday for 2 to 3 months that did little to reshape my abs. It wasn't until I started dieting in conjunction with working out did I drop two inches on my waist.

There's two things I can think of: 1) How serious were you about your diet? With Atkins, if you are really strict on counting the carbs, the weight can fly off dramatically in a matter of weeks, but very people I hear about ever do Atkins properly.

2) How are you training? I remember Mike Doolittle wrote something on Facebook about how hard you train makes a big difference. Also, are you training for high reps/low weights/circuits to burn more calories?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Atkins didn't really do much for me when I tried it, probably didn't do it right, but I hated it too.

With the weight training I do mostly what you described, I have my morning/evening regime consists of 100 sit ups, 100 press ups (both 10 reps per) and a mile run. I cycle around 30kilomiters a week, along with doing a full upper body workout every other day. Then with most says when i'm sat around watching a movie or on my computer I sit for hours with my 'bells doing high rep/low weight torso and arm exercises. I also swim lengths once a week. (its the summer, I have far too much time on my hands, what can i say, i'd rather use it doing something constructive) By all accounts i'm in good physical shape, just got the gut, sigh.

Might be time for a new diet me thinks. any suggestions as to what will work well with my exercise regime? currently i'm just eating 3 high-protein meals a day. I do tend to avoid complex carbs wherever possible too.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Qikdraw

Well I hate to tell you this, but you cannot target weight loss. You can do as many ab exercises as you want, and its only going to effect the muscles, so you'll have a nice set of abs unber the beer gut.

It is diet and exercise though. Personally I don't go for specific diets, I think its kinda silly to be honest. Counting calories is best. That way you can still enjoy some sweet stuff once in a while. I think the best diet is moderation with the 'bad' stuff and enough to fuel your muscules. Muscules burn fat, so the more muscles, the more fat you burn.

However don't eat too little as your body can actually go into 'starvation mode' where it will keep weight on, no matter how you train. This has happened to my wife a couple of times over the past number of years. She works out on an eliptical and recumbant bike as well as floor exercises (she can't use weights), and the times she has stopped losing weight she cut her intake down quite a lot.

My Blog
Qikdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikdraw View Post
, so you'll have a nice set of abs unber the beer gut.
This sir is exactly the problem! Only thing is, i don't really have all that much fat floating around my body anymore, and alot of muscle, and the damned thing still won't go away.

The good news however, is that the new lady of interest told me she likes my small man tank, so now i'm not too bothered. Thanks for your help anyways guys, and i reckon we should keep this thread going for any future men with the same problem, or in the likley event that this relationship doesn't go anywhere
Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Since you exercise a lot, you've got two components to look at:

1) How many calories are you taking in

and

2) Are your workouts progressive

Count your calories. Get a food scale if you need. Do it for about a week, just to get a clear picture of what you're taking in. Then, reduce it by about 200 calories a day. That should be pretty easy. It won't sound like much, but over time 1400 calories less per week will add up. If you plateau, you can drop another couple hundred calories each week until you're seeing results. Don't worry about carbs ratios or any of that crap. Research is overwhelmingly clear that it's total calories that count.

But more importantly, if you're doing the same workouts now you were doing last week, last month or last year, your body has adapted. Use heavier weights, rest less between sets and/or do more sets, run or swim farther in the same amount of time, etc. etc. Your body adapts quickly to the demands you place on it. If you're not giving it a reason to adapt, it won't.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
sharron
New Poster

Healthy eating is not about harsh nutrition way of life, staying idealistically thin, or depriving yourself of the foods you love. Rather, it’s bout feeling excellent, having more energy, and keeping yourself as healthy as doable – all which can be achieved by knowing some nutrition basics and adding them in a way that works for you.

Guide to Fitness
sharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Thought i'd update this.

So since the original post 7 months ago, I went up to 16 stone. Dunno, reckon it was comfort eating and moping from my then recent breakup with my fiancée.

Since then however, i've managed to lose 3 of those, and tone everything up. The gut is all but gone, i've finally hit my goal of a 32" waist.

Mikes calorie counting advice worked a treat, along with my normal exercise regime. Cheers bro.

Now i'm happy as clothes from two years ago fit me again (alas, clothes from the last year or so are going to the charity shop) and i'm confident in my appearance like i've never been before.

I wouldn't say i'm ripped, but i'm happy.

So I give you, Skinny (and very drunk, the only decent ones i could fine are from nights out oop) Adelleda...

Last edited by Adelleda; 05-25-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I use the Ab-roller. Not to lose weight, just to keep my stomach muscles strong. I work in a pizza shop and make alot of dough, and I have to keep my stomach muscles in decent shape so I don't hurt my back.

it costs about 20$, and helps you do a perfect sit-up. I do reps until my stomach is on fire, usually 20-30.

If you buy this, ignore the 'safety' spring device you're supposed to attach to the headrest. It's a nightmare to put on, and doesn't do anything useful.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
I use the Ab-roller. Not to lose weight, just to keep my stomach muscles strong. I work in a pizza shop and make alot of dough, and I have to keep my stomach muscles in decent shape so I don't hurt my back.

it costs about 20$, and helps you do a perfect sit-up. I do reps until my stomach is on fire, usually 20-30.

If you buy this, ignore the 'safety' spring device you're supposed to attach to the headrest. It's a nightmare to put on, and doesn't do anything useful.
I had one of those years ago! I hate the things ha.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I just like that its no-nonsense, easy to stow.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

So is my rower :P