About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Yakuza 3

Has anyone picked this game up?

I really want to show my support to a game that almost didn't make it over to the US, but I am broke. Why they released this game the same day as Final Fantasy XIII is beyond me.

abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Yakuza 3

I like to watch Japanese movies despite subtitles and such, but I wonder if I could stand a video game with subtitles. Besides I'm too broke to afford a PS3 right now

But the game sounds cool...
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
coyls3
32-bit Poster

hated the demo
coyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Yakuza is a very flawed game, but it sucks you in once you get to know the characters and the world.

It helps that I like Japanese gangster flicks.

The subtitles don't bother me. Listening to this game in Japanese is the proper way to play the game anyways.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
eel95
New Poster

I had a strange experience with the demo. First I was fired up to dl it, which sucks with PSN because you have time to baste a pheasant and teach a turkey French before the game's installed. When I finally did hit play my turkey Sacre blue'd and it took me all of ten minutes to delete the demo. Felt like an army of C grade PS2 zombies rising from 2002 to eat my hard drive.

But I don't know. I thought about it for a day, read a couple of import reviews, went home, clicked some buttons, taught my dog how to sword fight, then re-installed the game and had fun. The turning point was I started to think of the fighting system as charmingly retro (some serious PS One, Sega Saturn square square Y shit) instead of passe, and then once I got through the first fight the Japanese gangster flick vibe kicked in and I drifted away on Yakuza Paper dreams. All I had to do from there was buy a hamburger, futz around an arcade, and beat a guy to death with a bicycle to wake up hung over on a message board somewhere bitching about Sega axing hostess clubs. . .whatever those are.

Between the weirdness of how the game sat with me, how kooky the full game features sound, and how many hours I've poured into the local voodoo academy trying to call Shenmue 3 back from the beyond, I'm more excited about Yakuza 3 than FF13. Which is something, because playing FF7 at age 11 wrecked my shit more than anything will ever wreck my shit again. . .maybe a function of timing more than anything else, but whatever, as soon as I get an extra 60 bucks I'll be in the shorter Gamestop line holding a Ryu Murakami book and brushing up on that "reading" everyone's birthing cows about.

Last edited by eel95; 03-10-2010 at 10:17 PM.
eel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

I'm a huge Yakuza fan (check my reviews in the archive for proof) but Sega is balls-crazy for releasing this at $60. it's just not justifiable at that price point. if it was $20 or $30, i'd already have it. at $60, no way... This was Sega sending the game out to die.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
eel95
New Poster

What's your rationale on that, Brad? Is it the tech not having evolved since the PS2, or the lack of a voice track, maybe? Cut content?

Also, I know you're a fellow Shenmue fan, so I was wondering how much credence you give to the "Yakuza is the spiritual successor to Shenmue" argument. If the lineage really is as clear-cut as people say, I'll probably give Sega their $60, balls-crazy as they are. Might not be the high road, but I've never owned a PS2 and in the end it's cheaper for me to shell out for 3 than work my way back to 1 and 2.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by eel95 View Post
What's your rationale on that, Brad? Is it the tech not having evolved since the PS2, or the lack of a voice track, maybe? Cut content?

Also, I know you're a fellow Shenmue fan, so I was wondering how much credence you give to the "Yakuza is the spiritual successor to Shenmue" argument. If the lineage really is as clear-cut as people say, I'll probably give Sega their $60, balls-crazy as they are. Might not be the high road, but I've never owned a PS2 and in the end it's cheaper for me to shell out for 3 than work my way back to 1 and 2.
Yakuza is not Shenmue. So don't buy it thinking that it is, because you are going to be disappointed. They feature some of the same elements like exploring a town and brawling fights, but they are very different.

I think Brad's rationalization is because Yakuza has a low budget feel to it. It isn't as fleshed out as most modern games. Sega also didn't do a lot with the localization to the western world.

$20 or $30 would be kind of crazy for a PS3 game. I was expecting $40. With any luck it will drop to $40 quick.

Last edited by abfackeln; 03-11-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
eel95
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Yakuza is not Shenmue. So don't buy it thinking that it is, because you are going to be disappointed. They feature some of the same elements like exploring a town and brawling fights, but they are very different.

I think Brad's rationalization is because Yakuza has a low budget feel to it. It isn't as fleshed out as most modern games. Sega also didn't do a lot with the localization to the western world.

$20 or $30 would be kind of crazy for a PS3 game. I was expecting $40. With any luck it will drop to $40 quick.

Thanks, abfackeln. I'll keep that in mind. I don't want Shenmue exactly, just a (non-American) game world with plenty of details that have no real function other than involving me in that game world. Then some chop-socky to break up the pace. But yeah, I imagine the feel of the games is very different.

It's tricky about the price. The point's probably moot anyway since launching Y3 the same day as FFXIII means Sega's making Kazuma walk the plank, but it is fairly entrenched in gamers to see a $20 or $30 price tag and think "crap." Then again, I'm sure coysl3 isn't the only one who played the demo and thought, "crap," so the dropped price point would be an appreciated tip of the hat to fans even if it turned off most of the people streaming through Game Stop.

What would've been really slick is if Sega had made it a downloadable PSN exclusive for somewhere in Brad's price range. Then gamers might be thinking "ooo, the cadillac of PSN games" instead of "what's this piece of tosh down by Warhawk?" Funny how the market trains you to think.

Sega shouldn't have waffled so much. Their best options would've been to either be more creative and noisy trying to appeal to a wider fan base or to go quietly and aggressively after their niche. As is, they seem to be intent on pissing off the more touchy fans by cutting content and waiting for the Demon's Souls Anomaly to strike twice.

Last edited by eel95; 03-11-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Yeah, Abfack’s on the money…

I think people calling it the spiritual successor to Shenmue are indulging in a little wishful thinking. I mean, there are maybe some elements that are kind-of-sort-of similar, but it doesn't have more than a superficial resemblance to me. I mean, I can see how people are making that connection, but the core identities of the two games are fairly different.

As far as the price, Abfack nailed it again. After playing the demo, it was screamingly obvious that the tech feels very “last gen with a coat of varnish” -- and to be perfectly frank, I think it looked better on the PS2. Less grotesque, anyway.

Yakuza 3 is completely one of those games where nothing is technically improved, it just delivers another installment of the story -- and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all in principle, but trying to pull that low-investment/high-return trick going from PS2 to PS3 and charging full price for it is just a bad, bad idea.

Sega was on the right track when they put Yakuza 2 out for a song, so I was quite taken aback to see this installment priced the same as any of the PS3’s top-tier entries. Horrifically bad idea, IMO... in this case, intact and on the cheap was the way to go.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #11
dungavin
New Poster

Gah! Even after reading the above comments, I'm still really torn about whether to pick this up or not. Probably wait till I see it in the bargain bin...

@ Brad Gallaway; I've just taken delivery of Ninja Blade on 360 after enjoying the demo and reading your review in the archive. I'm expecting balls-out action and super-fun cut scenes/QTEs!!
dungavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyls3 View Post
hated the demo
similar here

I was interested, but after the demo i don't know if i want to invest time in that game.
(same with RE5)
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I got a copy of Yakuza 3 in the mail yesterday for my birthday. I really can't wait to play it. I was hoping to be done with Final Fantasy XIII before my birthday so that I can finish Yakuza 2 by the time Yakuza 3 shows up. That didn't happen.

I may put FF XIII on hold for now so I could play Yakuza 2&3. The last chapter of FF games are like the last few minutes of a major sporting game. What should last for only a few minutes ends up lasting a hour. In FF case what should last a hour last 10 hours.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
gamevet

Happy Birthday!

I'm probably going to hold out on Y3 as well. I might go ahead and get Yakuza 2, just to see what all the fuss was about, but there's just too many great games being pushed out this spring, for Yakuza 3 to stand a chance at $60.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
I might go ahead and get Yakuza 2, just to see what all the fuss was about, but there's just too many great games being pushed out this spring, for Yakuza 3 to stand a chance at $60.
Y3 will probably drop in price quickly if you just want to wait. From what I hear there is a lot more stuff to do in Y3.
I played a little of 2&3 yesterday and I have to say that the graphics have improved a lot in 3. Maybe not the best in this generation, but better than a PS2 game. I am trying to figure out why Brad thought the PS2 games were better looking.

It should take me a little over a month to finish both games (Y 2&3). I'll post impressions once I get them.