About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
coyls3
32-bit Poster

please rate this review: God of War III

The Smell of Chaos is a Little Familiar

HIGH Seeing the optic nerve snap as Kratos rips the eye from a cyclops.

LOW Kratos falling to his death thanks to the same annoying double jump that continues to plaque the series.

WTF So when did Kratos start playing Guitar Hero?

I've been a God of war fan ever since the first game released back in 2005. The brain child of David Jaffe (the Twisted Metal Series) and Sony's Santa Monica Studios, the game immediately hooked and reeled me in thanks to the legend of Kratos, a general of the Spartan army who became the champion of the gods, who was then tricked by the god of war into killing his own family. A mere mortal who would suffer through unthinkable trials, cheat death and escape the underworld, and ultimately become a god himself. Since then, the legend of Kratos has gone on to spawn a sequel (God of War II), a prequel (God of war: Chains of Olympus), and now God of War III, the final chapter in the saga of Kratos. Now, after finally getting my hands on what was easily my most anticipated game of the year, I quickly realized that God of War III is really just God of War 2.5.

The controls are the same, the combos are the same, and even the enemies are the same (except for the bosses). Not to mention that none of the legacy issues have properly been addressed; a quirky double jump can make platforming sections annoying at times; enemies can still interrupt Kratos's attack animations, but he can't interrupt theirs; and there's still some bad camera angles thanks to the computer controlled camera. Even the plot pretty much stayed the same. Kratos swears revenge on a god, loses his powers, goes to hell, escapes hell, and goes on a journey to find a mystical object that will give him the power to kill a god; which is kinda redundant considering he kills three gods, two titans, and a goddess during the journey. Why exactly does he need the item again?

God of War II took the basic gameplay from God of War, completely revamped it, and added a lot more to it. Would God of War really be the same without gliding with the Icarus wings, or throwing an enemy's attack back at them with the Golden Fleece? I just wish the same could be said about God of War III. There are a few changes here and there, such as the ability to switch weapons mid combo, and items receiving their own regenerating power bar instead of using up magic (and Kratos does get brand new weapons and magic to play with), but these changes are hardly genre defining and does very little to attract anyone who is not already a fan. (if such people still exist).

Even so, it's kind of hard for me to really criticize God of War III for being more or less the same game as its predecessors when those predecessors happen to be, well, God of War. The first three games of the series were both critical and financial successes, the first installment even received the title of best overall game from the Institute of Interactive Arts and Sciences, and is considered by many (myself included) to be some of the best gaming the Playstation 2 era had to offer. In fact, they were so successful that games being released today are still trying to imitate them (cough, Dante's Inferno, cough).

Well, God of War III takes everything that made the first three successful, slaps on a coat of polish, and redelivers it in spades. Great hack and slash action complete with flashy combos, upgradeable weapons, and magic; intricate puzzles that are challenging but not annoyingly so; blood and gore so detailed that you can literally see the wrinkles on the intestines spilled from a minotaur; all placed into a package that is perfectly paced and non-repetitive. Not to mention that the levels where Kratos is fighting on top of a moving titan even gives Uncharted 2's train level a run for its money.

The God of War series has been widely considered the premiere series of its genre, and the fourth installment allows the series to keep that title. God of War III does leave itself open to criticism for lack of innovation, and offers nothing that'll bring new fans to the series, but despite not much changing during the leap to the next generation, there still isn't a game in the genre that can quite match it.

8.5/10

Disclosures: This game was obtained via [retail store] and reviewed on the [Playstation 3]. Approximately 10 hours of play was devoted to single-player modes (completed 1 times) and there are no multiplayer modes.

Parents: The game is rated “M” for mature by the ESRB for blood and gore, intense violence, nudity, strong language, and strong sexual content. The violence is extremely graphic, and the player will constantly be bombarded with shots of naked breast.

Deaf and Hard of Hearing: The game has subtitles for all dialog.

Last edited by coyls3; 03-21-2010 at 05:29 PM.
coyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
RetroSolder
New Poster

Re: please rate this review: God of War III

Well writen review. I have never played any God of War games, but if they are anything like Dante's Inferno, I don't think I would enjoy them. But I did enjoy reading this review!
RetroSolder is offline   Reply With Quote